Project Cloverfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
Thanks for the input, glad you liked the theory. That was actually a different pic that Adam posted, it's the first one in this vid:

Also IMDB has some new info (within the last 2 days on the Cloverfield name:
I knew about the street name... I just though it was wierd coincidence... 'streets turning into fields of clover' and such.
I knew it had to be the military designation for something!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean Bradley said:
Heres my spoiler post, do not read unless you have seen the movie and want to know more about it.
The pics I found this morning got me thinking more about the 'Cloverfield Monster" and how they could consider making a sequel to a movie that was so dependant on the slow reveal of the creature. Answer: We still haven't seen the big one yet, at least not clearly. Cloverfield 2 is going to be about the BIG ONE!

My understanding of the sequence of events is this:

1. Tagaruto or The Oil Rig disturbs the creatures in the deep sea.
2. The Oil rig is destroyed by unseen forces. (As seen here: http://www.break.com/index/leaked-scene-fr...loverfield.html )
3. The US military (Navy) attacks the hell out of something at sea. (As seen here: http://bp2.blogger.com/_YPCf8JFgUdI/R4z4aK...800/11808-9.JPG )
4. An oil rig coming in to harbor at Manhattan is destroyed. ( as reported on the news broadcast in the movie )
5. A large explosion is seen from Rob's rooftop.
6. The head of the Statue of Liberty is tossed down Rob's street.
7. A very very large creature is seen in just a glimpse at the end of the street.
8. The tail of a very very large creature smashes the Manhattan Bridge.
9. Chaos ensures, a creature of questionable size runs amok in the city.

Heres what I think happened:

The mother followed the oil tanker (leaving the scene of the oil rig fiasco) back to manhattan with baby in tow after getting whalloped by the Navy gunships. The mother makes landfall (Explosion from Robs rooftop)after destroying the tanker and tearing up the Statue of Liberty. The mother retreats to the harbor (after which the Manhattan bridge is destroyed - noticably in the opposite direction from the monster the Army is fighting in the city), but the baby gets lost in the city, running amok in confusion. Baby eats Hud, all die. The end. Oh, except that Lily may have gotten away - ;)

The secret of the Cloverfield Monster is that you still haven't really seen it yet. You've just seen it's baby. The way to make a sequel to a movie thats so dependant on the slow reveal of the creature is to distract you with a smaller one and to save the real Moster for the second movie. And whats so great about it is that everyone thinks they've seen it, but most people didn't recognize that it was two different creatures.

Now JJ Abrams said in an interview:
Doesn't that sound like he's trying to cover up the fact that more people recognized the difference than he expected? He's just protecting the reveal for the next movie!

On a slightly less important note I was watching a show on the History channel on monday night called 'Life after People" and something caught my attention. The show said that the first plants that would be able to grow over the concrete of major cities would be clover, because clover doesn't need deep root structures because it can extract nitrogen from the air. The narrarator said that "highways and streets would turn into vast fields of clover" if humanity would happen to dissapear.

Coincidence?

Whattya think?
That's a lot of black lines, hehe.

Cool, so I was on the right track, just didn't have all the details 100% because I was one of the people to be fooled into thinking of just one beast running around the city, but then I did think that the mother was already dead, because of aforementioned beach pictures. Thanks for clearing up the rest of the details Sean.

Anyway, now thinking back I did have an odd feeling about the different views of the baby creature seen in the movie, but it all happened so fast I just thought I was seeing things, and didn't give it much thought. Good to know my mind wasn't playing tricks on me, but I am loosing my touch. I usually notice when a lamp is turned the wrong way from scene to scene in movies and such.

There was a comment on the video that said it was fake, I sort of believed it because of the horrible CG of the Oil Rig collapsing till I saw the same scene that's shown in one of the pictures on the 1-18-08.com site. That was an awesome find, and you know that someone from the PR group for Cloverfield 'leaked' that one for the next movie.

It might of been on IMDB, Wiki, or some other site, but someone mentioned that Lily could of been killed just not that anyone saw. Remember the flaming wreckage thrown into the Helicopter area after Rob, Beth, and Hud took off, but also there was a cut in the tape so several minutes could of passed and she could be safe somewhere...for now.

Someone told me about that same show Sean, but for other reasons. I think that's a really cool fact that the writers could tie later into the films, but Abrams is usually already 10 steps ahead. The fact that it was an accidental title could be true or it could be another little factoid cover-up to keep the final ending of this series of films a secret. Either way, looks like a coincidence...for now ;) .

In the end, my wish sort of came true if there are definitely two monsters alive. I didn't want to see the monster in the movie at all as usually how they look end up to disappoint and take away from the scary factor. Now, we come to sort of find out that we haven't even really seen the big one yet, and that pleases me but at the same time I'm worried what they may do with a sequel.

-Magnum

Sean Bradley said:

Wow that's really cool. Especially the update as of today. I started watching those videos when I heard that they were related, but they were getting really annoyingly boring by the second one so I stopped watching them. I guess I'll have to check them ALL out now. I think this movie(or movies ;) ) might be the best monster genre movie since Godzilla(originals, and good because they're bad) and the Aliens Saga. It just keeps getting so involved...wait is this what it's like on Lost. I hate that show, but I guess this might be why so many people love it. Abrams has to be some sort of latent genius.

23Magnum said:
Wow that's really cool. Especially the update as of today. I started watching those videos when I heard that they were related, but they were getting really annoyingly boring by the second one so I stopped watching them. I guess I'll have to check them ALL out now. I think this movie(or movies ;) ) might be the best monster genre movie since Godzilla(originals, and good because they're bad) and the Aliens Saga. It just keeps getting so involved...wait is this was it's like on Lost. I hate that show, but I guess this might be why so many people love it. Abrams has to be some sort of latent genius.

could these monsters from cloverfield be one of the monsters from Lost?

I kind of doubt it, because I saw a clip from Lost with some sort of shadowy/smokey black figure killing someone, but who knows.

People have speculated that this creature is something like Cthulhu. I don't know much about it, but it's a character from an American writer, hence why this would be our(U.S.'s) own monster, and not something borrowed from Japan or elsewhere. Here's the Wiki site for the Cthulhu.

Other things were strange coincidences like in the Bible, as Revelations 18:08 speaks of a beast that attacks and destorys the city of Babylon, which some people have compared New York City with. It's very creepy how well that chapter in the Bible lines up with the story of Cloverfield. Adam first got that idea in my head with the connection to the Bible, and then I found someone who pointed to that part in the Bible. Very interesting stuff.

I haven't seen Cloverfield yet, but I hope to. It looks really good.

From the top of my head, the verse Magnum is referring to could be Revelation 11:7 (!!!) and on a little. Come to think of it, it's probably not; that beast "ascends from out of the bottomless pit," not the sea.

EDIT: OK, oops, I guess I didn't read your post thouroghly enough. Sorry.

Can you believe this "blurry" pic pissed someone off enough to take me off their XBL friend's list and another site. He's a bigger baby than the monster :p

so where do you think the second movie will take place? DC maybe... Miami would work too... Miami isnt in a lot of movies.

or... or maybe.... they move inland to utah and attack Saltlake City!!

lol

Well if they make another Cloverfield, they will probably pick a city that has some kind of "All American" values. NYC is the "All American City" that ahs so many landmarks and iconic buildings, people can connect better with it being destroyed because it's easy to relate to. Who knows maybe they may still be in NYC if they make a 2nd XP Who knows maybe Japan is next? I dunno...

I'm a week late posting but my opinion of this movie was really low.

I hope they don't make a sequel unless they use production cameras and take a position of explaining the monster more and showing them fighting it.

Or prehaps as I suggested to my friend Godzilla smashing it's face it. (or maybe Master Chief for that matter)

I enjoyed Cloverfield. It is officially my favourite monster movie ever. I mean, the monster surbvived a freaking MOAB! that's the largest non-nuclear bomb ever!!!

Just saw it again and id like to clarify a few things...

1: Magnum, there are several different times that you could tell that it WAS a large camera that Hud was using. The first time was when he was talking to marlena. She doesnt recognize him because his ENTIRE face is behind the camera. She also offeres him a job (ask for his card) it was obviously a professional camera if people thought he was professional. Also, Hud often says "don't run so fast" or "wait up" thats because hes lugging out a big ol' camera. Also, small camera's do not have lights, or that quality of film.

2: Right before Marlena died, they wheeled a army guy in and his chest was blown out, you hear someone in the back say "another bite"

3: The monster can stand on 2 legs (from the scene on Beth's roof)

4: Once the DVD comes out, I'm sure we'll be able to go through it frame by frame and see more of the mom (the camera was flying around everywhere when they where on the Brooklyn bridge, it must have caught something.

0a730fd1-6721-41bb-b242-8597273f750c.hmedium.jpg

I rest my case.

Site.

hahahahhahahaha

nice.

xavier i noticed the soldier exploding stomach thing too. i thought i was the only one.

23Magnum said:
0a730fd1-6721-41bb-b242-8597273f750c.hmedium.jpg

I rest my case.

Site.

Just like you said last time i posted a production still from the movie THATS A PRODUCTION STILL. there are other production stills that show Hud holding a large camera!!! its never NEVER stated anywhere that it was a small handheld. why would Marlena think he was a professional if he has some **** camera like you say?

http://imdb.com/gallery/ss/1060277/00240CR...0277&seq=25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back