Puresuicide's Cqb Helmet Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvide dude

Hello, this is my CQB progress thread, so far i have almost completely pepped the entire thing.

I am experimenting with ways of strengthening cardstock.

Pictures tomorrow.

PS: this is only my fourth project! (hopefully I'll finish this one) so bear with me as I learn!

Its a teaser trick, he has bated the hook and we're biting. you know you'll be back to see his pix :lol lol

I know i will

Okay, I put the photos of the nearly completed pep, on this picasa album: http://picasaweb.google.com/silvidedude/CQB

#1, #2, #6 are a piece I coated in plaster (on the inside). This didn't work.

#3, #4, #5 are the rest of it sofar.

Hope to get some more done today.

No real 'plan' as such as to method.. :(

PS, Thanks for the interest guys :p

PPS, any problems with picasa let me know please.

Looking good so far that looks like the same pep model I used for my first helmet, but mine warped on me when I was hardening it since it didn't have a visor to go with it and no supports. So just a word of advice make so supports for the helmet, learn from my mistake :)

And as for strengthening the Pep models, are you trying to do it with non-toxic materials.

But good job on the CQB, and yea supports would be a good choice to make.

Thanks for the support guys,

I'm not going for non toxic, but relatively inexpensive.

And yeah. supports, I might even go so far as to model a visor with pep (edit the file) and add it in.

Meanwhile, it's coffee time.

EDIT: I'm thinking about modding my mouse to have an electric scollwheel, my finger is tired.

I would guess, seeing as how i'm not sure and all, 25 - 45 AUD

EDIT: Okay, i've made a visor for the CQB, if anyone wants the file for it, with a rectangle scalable to the height of the original model, PM me. Pic #7 here

Okay, so i've been thinking, the main problem with using plaster as a strengthener is that it is water based, and therefore soaks into cardstock, making it fall apart (dissapointing).

Just now i was looking at a tin of WD40 and thinking: 'hmmm... this stuff repels water..'

and so, i made up one of those little knobbly bits on top of the CQB helmet, coated the inside with WD40, and filled it with (toothpaste consistency) plaster of paris.

I shall let you know what happened after it dries sets (ages away)

EDIT: sorry about all these double posts.

EDIT: scratch that this is the first one :S

Hello again, small update, with no pictures. Sorry. :(

Today, I put two part building putty stuff in cheek bits,

Later, I went to the hardware, and bought some fiberglass resin (and catalyst).

I mixed up about 40ml of it, total, in progressively larger batches, starting with 5ml, since it was my first time.

I covered almost all of the cheek bits, and 2/3 of the lower back part,

Since it's cold here, it *still* hasn't set yet.

More progress tomorrow, right now i'm going to the movies to see Iron man 2

Wish I had an iron man suit now!

EDIT: Sorry for the triple post guys!

WOW! That attack on the forums somehow put me in the mindset that I could re-do my M6D from SCRATCH!

If you're interested, It can be found HERE

EDIT: sorry, It's HERE

Hey guys! first of all, I'd like you to know that I THINK this triple post is justified, (#1 was before forums went down, #2 was unrelated)

Now, I've had a fair amount of progress being done in the last few days, for example, the pepping is complete, I've resined the entire outside with a coat an a half (don't ask!) of resin, I've put building putty (it's like bondo, and so, I shall call it such) on and in the newly resined back part, as well as the big ridge in the middle, and one cheek.

PICTURES: here

PS: I tried to embed photos, but picasa didn't play the game.

PPS: hey, did you know that we are linked to from here?

EDIT: Please, Please, Please give me some feedback! =D

EDIT: is no one interested?

EDIT: more progress: put bondo on the ridgy bits on the top sides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back