Question About Fiberglassing (I've Read The Stickies!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d taktics

I've read the stickies and all the how-tos, now heres my question, In some of the tuts, I noticed that they say to fiberglass the inside of the helmet, and on a few other tutorials they say to fiberglass the outside. Which one would be best? This will be my first build.

Thanks for any help!

i had the same question when i started AND the best way is to glass the inside do to bondo and sand the outside with it glassed is messy and not as goot u can also try doing rondo for the inside its bondo and resin mixed and is nice and strong did mit to the wifes odst helm.hope i helped u out and cant wait to c what u are working on.

The best way is to resin the outside with no fiberglass to strengthen it and keep warping to a minimum, then once it has hardened fiberglass the inside, this will give you your strength and keep most of the details that you painstakingly folded into your pep.

Well the best way going with the traditional fiberglass and not rondo.

yes fiberglassing is the best way but i was just adding if he is up to it when he learns is to try rondo some time not now and yes i forgot to add in the resin the outside to keep its shape and not warp

Hmmm, seems were still at a disagreement. I really don't want to do any bondo/detailing so I'm guessing I should glass the inside? I just don't want the fiberglass to stab me in the head.

correct, resin the outside for stability, then glass the inside for strength, wait for it to be hardened, sand down any drips, then paint.

that also depends on the fiberglass u use i bought 50 yards on ebay for like 50 bucks and its thin so it wont make the points so u wont get stabed and if u do 2 layers it will be plenty strong wife is useing it on here recon right now and its nice and hard and if u dont mind me asking y dont u want to bondo the outside and detail it u on a tight deadline?

Slacker said:
correct, resin the outside for stability, then glass the inside for strength, wait for it to be hardened, sand down any drips, then paint.

Thanks mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to have to agree with Spartan-005 Rondo is actually what i prefer. I know the question is about fiberglassing... but rondoing takes a 2-3 hours project down to about 10 minutes. check out rondoing

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxl-VC8YzcY&feature=PlayList&p=D58C1CCC8CEEFC3A&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=15[/media]

If you glass the outside, say goodbye to details. Only glass the inside, but bondo and sand the outside, that will make a nice surface.

On my last test I tried two ways,

Resin inside allow to dry, glass inside... & ...Resin inside allow to dry, Resin Outside allow to dry, glass inside.

The resin in both added stability, but the second outer coat of resin completely saturated the paper making the piece extremely easy to glass. There was very little movement in the paper during glassing.

This also made bondo very easy because a lot of the detail was preserved so the amount of bondo-ing was minimal.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Coating the inside first? Havent tried that one, did it work out well? :) Better than coating outside first?

I thought the risk with that would be that the paper starts going inwards, if you understand what I mean, during the drying process.

All the best,

/Tahu

Inside or outside wont make a difference. do what feels appropriate - it's probably gonna end being drenched in body filler anyways so you'll always have room for detailing. If you're dealing with cardboard, its better outside

this is haji said:
Inside or outside wont make a difference. do what feels appropriate - it's probably gonna end being drenched in body filler anyways so you'll always have room for detailing. If you're dealing with cardboard, its better outside

yes it does make a difference... because,

Tahu said:
If you glass the outside, say goodbye to details. Only glass the inside, but bondo and sand the outside, that will make a nice surface.

Yeah, I thought it would in-warp if you coat the inside first, and, if you put a layer on the inside first, you wont be able to fiberglass it directly. Meaning you will end up with an extra unneccessary layer on the inside, and extra cost for the resin.

sdhoigt: Body filler ontop of fiberglass. problem solved, Ive done it with most my armor peices with no trouble

***** With pep helmets, Yes it's better to fiberglass the inside. Sorry guys, ive been more of a cardboard person so i have to fiberglass the outside

there's a thread where one person says dont just use resin cause it adds extra weight. however if you just fiber the inside and resin the outside that'd be great and you may not have to sand.

gakkengod said:
however if you just fiber the inside and resin the outside that'd be great and you may not have to sand.

haha, the fiberglass wont do anything untill you brush it with resin. In the end, resin will cover both inside and outside of your work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back