Question: Alternate Method of Obtaining Worn Armor Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WandererTJ

Okay, so I haven't made any Resin/Fiberglass armor nor have I attempted to make foam armor yet...
Instead, my previous works include making actual armor-grade leather armor.

The pictures below depict the same greaves. They show the completed pieces, the first two pictures just happens to be before I wore the greaves in the field.
I used to be a boffer fighter (full contact fighting with foam-padded weapons), and as a result of me "losing a leg" in a particular fight, I ended up dragging one of my legs along the ground which wore the dye off at the top of the greave.
30528_1185281599132_2529122_n.jpg

30528_1185279199072_4159610_n.jpg

30103_1185784411702_3351608_n.jpg
Hopefully those photos will show up for everyone even though they are from facebook.

In addition to this, after my armor obtained the blemishes as I mentioned above and I could no longer be a princess like Baird from the Gears of War series, I decided to take the worn look even further, and with a machete, and I started to add actual damage to the greaves. Oh and yes... I was wearing the greaves while swinging away with the machete. I came out perfectly fine, it is very heavy leather.

Now, in reference to the beginning when I was talking about the leather becoming "worn", I probably could have added additional layers of leather dye or I could have re-dyed it after it became worn, but my question for you all is, have any of you experienced any actual wear after using spray-paint, or acrylic, or anything?
Like it actually being scraped off or damaged by running into things...
I mean, dye and spray paint are pretty different, but if you could obtain actual wear from the paint, it would be awesome in comparison to what people have been doing by painting the worn look onto their armor.
...Not that it isn't awesome the way people do it now, I just like the randomness that real-life wear and tear adds because my mind can only make things random to a certain degree. If I am mentally aware while trying to paint on the damaged look, I'd be more concerned with how it looked rather than making it look correct.

I'm just trying to think up a way in order to get a more realistic looking battle-worn gear look. I suppose you could apply some acetone to some trees and brush and run through the trees and the brush getting the acetone on yourself, but somehow I think there might be a better way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back