Quick Question on amount of material needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,

so i recently got a Brush on Starter Kit from Smooth on which comes with enough of everything i need (Re-Bound 25, Smooth-Cast 300,Plasti-Paste, etc.)
to do the gauntlets (handplates). This is good.

But i am trying to estimate material cost for the helmet.
So my question is this,

It will take about a gallon of Re-Bound 25 to make the mold of the helmet,
and a gallon of Smooth-Cast 300 to make a cast of one helmet correct?

I can figure out the plasti-Paste and other stuff.
I just need to know that my calculations are correct for the amount of rubber and plastic i'll need for a helmet.

Thanks a ton

-Justin

tonsofhoopla said:
It will take about a gallon of Re-Bound 25 to make the mold of the helmet,
and a gallon of Smooth-Cast 300 to make a cast of one helmet correct?
I can maybe see a gallon of Re-bound 25 for the mold, but for a single cast, I don't think that'll be a gallon... I mean, you'll only be doing it a little bit at a time anyway. (Like Adam does in his video. Cup by cup, until it's thick enough.)

Also, keep in mind the stuff from Smooth-On comes in 2 gallon kits. (Two 1 gallon jugs of each part.) So, at least in my uninformed point of view, you'll have plenty of each and some left over, if all you're planning to cast right now is a helmet.

EDIT: Also! A tip. Plastipaste is the expensive way to do a mother-mold. I've heard of those more experienced just using plaster and bandages (like gauze) and it works just as well. Something to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plaster bandages is what people usually use for lifecasting, like in this video:

Probably because the main advantage is that it'll set faster, though I'm not sure (I have 0 EXP on this).

Also, do a Youtube search on the BrickInTheYard channel, they have some cool vids on molding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back