Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ill2themax2481

So Im done with the pep on my left bicep and I was just wondering what steps I follow from there. What order do I Bondo, Resin, Fiberglass mat? I just need to know what comes first second third. Plus If Im missing anything (other than sanding) Please let me know!!!!!!!!!

Anthony

1 - Resin the Outside, let it dry good.

2- Fiberglass the inside, one layer should be enough.

3- Bondo in parts (not the whole thing) and sand it till its nice and smooth.

Hope this helps, if its your first time doing this don't get disappointed if it turns out not looking good (My first one looked like crap :p). Just keep on practicing till u get the hang of it for each material.

Wow thanks guys that was pretty fast. lol. when fiberglassing, do i put the Fiberglass Mat on the inside and THEN resin, or am I wrong on that one? lol.

And yea I figured Id start with the easy part of the armor just to get my hands dirty and get the hang of things. Thanks again for the replys.

Anthony.

When fiberglassing, use gloves and respirator.

The easiest way to apply fiberglass mat is to "wet" the area with the resin, stick the mat onto the wet part, and just dab more fiberglass resin onto the mat till it is completely soaked. Make sure the mat are cut into small pieces, so it will be easier to apply, and decreased the amount of air pockets.

and when u resin the oustide use a foam brush it reduces brush strokes and on the inside out a layer of resin on it then the mat then dap it on dont brush cuz it will tare the mat apart but use a pain brushfor the inside

Use small squares of fiberglass mat. Its alot more manageable than trying to use larger strips, and you're less likely to run into air bubbles. I always make sure I have a bunch of different sizes cut out, and I pretty much have an idea of the path I'll be laying it down before I get going with it.

on a side note... LTGUZ, I have a Bushmaster A3 thats pretty much identical to your avatar, except mine has way more crap on it heh.

Wow thanks alot guys. Feeling pretty confident on getting started with thistomorrow. I appreciate all of the great suggestions and will keep you quys posted on my progress if youd like.

I wish all of you luck on any future projects as well! ;)

Anthony

yeah the right order is:

1.resin

2.fiberglass

3.bondo

4.primer

5.sand

6.sand

7primer again

8.sand

9.bondo again

10.sand(till desired)

11.paint

One question, I just got my bondo (well, a variant of) but I just did some searching and I didnt get primer. Is this really necessary? The only reason I can see using it is so you dont sand too deep?

So if someone could just explain to me why people use primer, id be grateful :D

Usually people use primer to see all the defects. The darker color help bring out the places that need tweaking. So it's not necessary, but it helps out a ton. Hopefully that helped.

Ive actually gone ahead and done allot on the piece already, without primer. I have to say I am starting to wish I had some primer now, so im probably going to get some tomorrow as I can already see how it would help me. If you look at my scanner thread im sure you will see!

Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back