Railgun tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MosquitoBandito

I recently finished 3d printing this Railgun, and next up is assembly. However due to the design of the Railgun, I'm worried it won't be very sturdy. I thought about maybe drilling some holes inside the pieces and inserting some wooden dowels to add integrity, but id like to know if anyone else has any ideas or experience that they can share with me. I decided to officially join the 405th to make a post about this and maybe future questions, meaning I'm new here. Pardon my inexperience with this site lol.
IMG_20200308_194328_863.jpg

I recently finished 3d printing this Railgun, and next up is assembly. However due to the design of the Railgun, I'm worried it won't be very sturdy. I thought about maybe drilling some holes inside the pieces and inserting some wooden dowels to add integrity, but id like to know if anyone else has any ideas or experience that they can share with me. I decided to officially join the 405th to make a post about this and maybe future questions, meaning I'm new here. Pardon my inexperience with this site lol. View attachment 285944
Excellent print. Dowels will work, but for extra rienforcement, a steel pole and some epoxy will probably be stronger

Excellent print. Dowels will work, but for extra rienforcement, a steel pole and some epoxy will probably be stronger
I asked some popular cosplayers and epoxy was definitely brought up. I was considering getting some xtc 3d resin from smooth on, as it's specifically made for strengthening and smoothing 3d printed parts. As for the dowells though, I'll definitely take steel rods into consideration, so thank you

I recently finished 3d printing this Railgun, and next up is assembly. However due to the design of the Railgun, I'm worried it won't be very sturdy. I thought about maybe drilling some holes inside the pieces and inserting some wooden dowels to add integrity, but id like to know if anyone else has any ideas or experience that they can share with me. I decided to officially join the 405th to make a post about this and maybe future questions, meaning I'm new here. Pardon my inexperience with this site lol. View attachment 285944
If you have access to a drill press or another way to make perfectly aligned and square holes through a part, I'd do that and run a steel rod through. Most of the pieces I model have channels for rods and alignment pins already so we might have to get creative with this one.

A five minute epoxy will be a fairly strong way to stick all these pieces together but make sure to gets some clamps to apply pressure and keep everything from shifting during glue up.

The print looks awesome, I can't wait to see photos of you rolling around a con with this.

If you have access to a drill press or another way to make perfectly aligned and square holes through a part, I'd do that and run a steel rod through. Most of the pieces I model have channels for rods and alignment pins already so we might have to get creative with this one.

A five minute epoxy will be a fairly strong way to stick all these pieces together but make sure to gets some clamps to apply pressure and keep everything from shifting during glue up.

The print looks awesome, I can't wait to see photos of you rolling around a con with this.
Totally, I'm stoked to get this done, it's my first large scale printed weapon. I definitely have some drill bits lying around that I can use to make holes, so I think I'll stick with that plan and put some dowels or rods through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back