Rakshasa build

MDBDesigns

Member DIN
S894
Going to be starting a Rakshasa build in the next couple months, being that I'll have the month of December to plan, organize, and begin to execute the build in its entirety.

Build will include:
Helm: Artaius with TAS attachment, 3D model I will be using is made by SlenderDummy

Chest: Ruckamuck Hippotooth OR Ruckamuck Rangeking

L Shoulder: TAC/PLQ - 196E Threepack

R Shoulder: IronGrip Rails

Utility: TAC/ Redscan OR Util Medkit

Wrist: Doziac Kiss

Hand: Abzug

Knees: UA/ Type PTL

Images included will show the details of the armor and armor pieces I plan on incorporating, though changes may come over time, who knows man.
For right now, I'm going to start with the helmet. I'm mostly just excited to add another cool helmet to my collection.
I plan to SLA Print the components, and to FDM print the main bodies. SlenderDummy has been kind enough to break down the model beautifully into many components so that I can have multiple parts printing at once. Once I have some parts printed and start to clean them up and ready them for assembly/ painting, I'll post another update.
Until then, I'll see you around.

Attachments

• Abdomen detail.JPG
    Abdomen detail.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Waist and wrist.JPG
    Waist and wrist.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Shoulder detail2.JPG
    Shoulder detail2.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Shoulder detail.JPG
    Shoulder detail.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Lower leg detail.JPG
    Lower leg detail.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Leg detail.JPG
    Leg detail.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Hip Side.JPG
    Hip Side.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Hand detail.JPG
    Hand detail.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Hand detail 2.JPG
    Hand detail 2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Back leg detail.JPG
    Back leg detail.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Bust.JPG
    Bust.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Chest detail.JPG
    Chest detail.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Chest profile.JPG
    Chest profile.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Chest.JPG
    Chest.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 148
Going to be starting a Rakshasa build in the next couple months, being that I'll have the month of December to plan, organize, and begin to execute the build in its entirety.

Build will include:
Helm: Artaius with TAS attachment, 3D model I will be using is made by SlenderDummy

Images included will show the details of the armor and armor pieces I plan on incorporating, though changes may come over time, who knows man.
For right now, I'm going to start with the helmet. I'm mostly just excited to add another cool helmet to my collection.
I plan to SLA Print the components, and to FDM print the main bodies. SlenderDummy has been kind enough to break down the model beautifully into many components so that I can have multiple parts printing at once. Once I have some parts printed and start to clean them up and ready them for assembly/ painting, I'll post another update.
Oooooh this is gunna be so bad!!!! I can’t wait to see how this plays out for you and comes together! Do you have any current plans or ideas on the soft parts? I’ve been contemplating doing a set but the soft parts turn me away, there’s tons of strapping I’d assume you’d be looking through military surplus for all the elastic green (or whatever color) straps and attachments.

Oooooh this is gunna be so bad!!!! I can’t wait to see how this plays out for you and comes together! Do you have any current plans or ideas on the soft parts? I’ve been contemplating doing a set but the soft parts turn me away, there’s tons of strapping I’d assume you’d be looking through military surplus for all the elastic green (or whatever color) straps and attachments.
I've already decided on a few things for simplicity sake; I have a black combat shirt and pants that will work for a basic undersuit. I'm going to use a combat belt to attach the pouches around the waist (Worked on my spartan so I'm sure this will be fine too). a local surplus store suplies most of the strap connections that are seen on the suit and ones that I can't get hold of like the back plate I can model up or foamsmith.
I think that between foamsmithing, 3D printing, and some fabrics work I'll be able to get pretty close! This will also be a project to really help push me to use and refine my sewing skills!

I've already decided on a few things for simplicity sake; I have a black combat shirt and pants that will work for a basic undersuit. I'm going to use a combat belt to attach the pouches around the waist (Worked on my spartan so I'm sure this will be fine too). a local surplus store suplies most of the strap connections that are seen on the suit and ones that I can't get hold of like the back plate I can model up or foamsmith.
I think that between foamsmithing, 3D printing, and some fabrics work I'll be able to get pretty close! This will also be a project to really help push me to use and refine my sewing skills!
Awesome! That sounds like you’re going to burn through this armor set. Looking forward to seeing the completed version.

Build will include:

I'm so excited to see how this goes! Also gotta ask the real question here, are you going to crack new glowsticks for each con to keep it authentic or make LED sticks?

I'm so excited to see how this goes! Also gotta ask the real question here, are you going to crack new glowsticks for each con to keep it authentic or make LED sticks?
You *used to* be able to get decent electronic glowsticks. I believe a company called Krill made them. Two double a's and you were away. Used EL tape instead of chemical reaction. They may still be around, i just know they dont seem to ship to the UK anymore.q

Build will include:

Should turn out amazing

Any progress?
Oh, Y'all want an update eh?
I started with the one thing a lot of people say not to start with, diving straight into the helmet.

IMG_4829.jpg
I got files for the Artaius Helmet from SlenderDummy, I love the work they've done and the file looks fantastic. I printed the main body and the Upper shell on my ender 5, and printed the rest of the smaller pieces using my Elegoo Saturn 2

IMG_4851.jpg

Next was getting the interior of the helmet fiberglassed enough to hold everything together and prevent it from really breaking in the future. I hate fiberglass, and I always try to avoid doing it, but the walls on this helmet were thin enough it just made me feel safer doing so.
Meanwhile, I took some time cleaning the resin parts as much as I wanted to (I could go wayyyy overboard, but between textures and weathering I knew I could get away with a little laziness here) and sanded them to about 220 with some filler primer between layers.

IMG_4898.jpg

Now I've been sanding and sanding on the top shell, definitely have some more to go, this pic was from just yesterdays progress, need to get into the nooks and crannies and really smooth those out still.
While I've waited for primer and bondo to dry while I've been working on this though, I couldn't resist myself and decided to start painting some of the smaller pieces and assembling the goggle pieces with colors and textures that I know I want them to be.
IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4896.jpg
I've decided I'm not following game files, not following color templates for this build. I just want to have a fun suit that I make my story up for, building my own character. (Like what we're all here for!)
I've been wanting to get out and get looking at some jump suits and stuff, but I'm also considering just using some BDU's I already have since it's all black and I'll be wearing a vest that hides the midwaist anyways, I may not even have to get a jumpsuit.
The vest is a whole project in and of itself, I need to get a mach up of my torso and start playing with templates at some point, but for the time being I have other work and projects going on, so updates will be a little while.
Thanks for sticking around for the updates my dudes! I'll update once I get this helmet to a 'finishing' point!

I printed this same helmet not too long ago for the Canadian regiment secret santa! I think I used an older file because slenderdummy or whoever you got yours from hadn't made it yet. I think yours is a nicer file though. It's nice that the smaller pieces can be printed separately. But I have to ask, do you have a good strategy for sanding and painting those itty bitty hard to reach spots? I often avoid taking close-up pictures because you will be able to see how messy it is, buy your painting is really clean!

I printed this same helmet not too long ago for the Canadian regiment secret santa! I think I used an older file because slenderdummy or whoever you got yours from hadn't made it yet. I think yours is a nicer file though. It's nice that the smaller pieces can be printed separately. But I have to ask, do you have a good strategy for sanding and painting those itty bitty hard to reach spots? I often avoid taking close-up pictures because you will be able to see how messy it is, buy your painting is really clean!
Getting into all those nooks and crannies can be super annoying and time consuming for sure. Usually I'll use a mix of a couple techniques. Using an exacto blade to carefully scrape layers to smooth out between priming and fillings works well for like hard edges. Cutting popsicle sticks and using spray adhesive to glue sand paper on them works for small detail areas too, plus when you start getting the tip gunked up or mishapen, you can always cut a little piece and use the fresh sand paper on it! And of course just time and patience and some steel wool. I actually haven't used steel wool a ton, only recently have I started to use it on final layers, but I have noticed that it works well for me for hard to reach spots!

I usually avoid close ups as well for that reason! But with the resin prints, and filler primer and careful sanding I've been really pleasantly surprised by my results on this helmet!

I'm making it for myself, but I may also wind up giving it to someone down the road, and I'd really like it to be something special either way tbh

Cutting popsicle sticks and using spray adhesive to glue sand paper on them works for small detail areas too, plus when you start getting the tip gunked up or mishapen, you can always cut a little piece and use the fresh sand paper on it!
This is very clever! Def gonna be using this technique to help on my next print! Thank you

Caught a wild hair last night and started modeling the chest piece for Rakshasa, I'm happy enough with it even though I know it's not completely accurate. I think the strapping will work fine on this, and a lot of it is going to be hidden under fabric or other armor pieces anyways.
Chestpiece.JPG

I've been thinking about the armors a lot lately, and while I'm working on this suit I've been trying to think about what I want to make. It's a bit of a backwards approach to how I usually do these things, but looking through concept art and just wanting to have fun with this build and let it grow it's own thing, I've been trying to build the character up in my mind.
I've really liked the Idea of him just being a Rakashasa ODST more or less, but I'm personally not a fan of the Rakashasa ODST chestpiece. So maybe a combination of the ODST with some Ruckamuck on it? Lots to consider as I go. But no matter what, I know I'll need a base to work off of!
I also broke down and decided to print the helmet all in resin too! Why? Because I can.... and I wanted another one... It's a problem, I know. But making multiples of things does wind up making things easier along the way I guess!
I'm going to try to model some more parts like the back plate and maybe the gloves I want today, and I'll share an update when I have something of note.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back