Rate your Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
7/10

From what I can tell, the pep work is good but you can see the seams and angles left over. A little bondo work and paint could take it a long way. Making it all one solid color is kind of boring. If you look at McFarlane's Rookie (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp...rookie-macfarlane-toys-halo-odst-figurine.jpg), it's a lighter shade overall like your armor, but has dark and light details where appropriate to break up the color scheme and make it more interesting to look at. The ODSTs as most of us know them are particularly deep/mysterious characters and the armor should be an extension of that. Also, t looks like some of the pieces are sagging, most notably the chest piece. Getting all the torso pieces high and tight would really help to clean up the look, as well as strapping the shoulders a little better (the one on your left arm doesn't look bad though).

Hope that's not too nitpicky, like I said the detail in your pep work really stands out but just lacks polish. Good luck with anything more you think you're gonna do to your suit.

Have you thought about doing a thread/post/blog that shows images and scores for all the past entries so people can always go back and see how they did. I think it is great you update the first post for rating but then all the past ones disappear. Just a thought.

Ithica

P.s. 6/10

7/10

From what I can tell, the pep work is good but you can see the seams and angles left over. A little bondo work and paint could take it a long way. Making it all one solid color is kind of boring. If you look at McFarlane's Rookie (http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp...rookie-macfarlane-toys-halo-odst-figurine.jpg), it's a lighter shade overall like your armor, but has dark and light details where appropriate to break up the color scheme and make it more interesting to look at. The ODSTs as most of us know them are particularly deep/mysterious characters and the armor should be an extension of that. Also, t looks like some of the pieces are sagging, most notably the chest piece. Getting all the torso pieces high and tight would really help to clean up the look, as well as strapping the shoulders a little better (the one on your left arm doesn't look bad though).

Hope that's not too nitpicky, like I said the detail in your pep work really stands out but just lacks polish. Good luck with anything more you think you're gonna do to your suit.
A lot of that is just because I had a time crunch to get it finished but I understand your point. The reason some of the pieces were sagging was because the strapping wouldn't stick to pieces of armor and I would constantly be shedding pieces.

This suit served its purpose, but at a bare minimum. I do consider it a test suit and the one I am making now will have a lot more time and detail put into it.

Have you thought about doing a thread/post/blog that shows images and scores for all the past entries so people can always go back and see how they did. I think it is great you update the first post for rating but then all the past ones disappear. Just a thought.

Ithica

P.s. 6/10

I did after the first armor was Rated. They all end up in the Rated Armor Gallery :)

i think there needs to be a place where people can talk freely and completely honestly about what they think of others armor. i wish i had someone to tell me that the edges on my armor looked like crap and that it was really blocky. i might have invested in bondo at that point...

i think there needs to be a place where people can talk freely and completely honestly about what they think of others armor. i wish i had someone to tell me that the edges on my armor looked like crap and that it was really blocky. i might have invested in bondo at that point...

This is the place!

I'd say a 6/10

I like how it's accurate in most places, but the helmet seems just a bit too bulbous at the top, the chest looks like it slide to your right a bit, maybe work on your strapping and armor placement, and it needs a different/more diversified paint job
Even just darker gray would have looked better, because with that shade of paint, a quick glance makes it look like you didn't even paint it yet......

Thats all from me :)

9/10
Comments:
I heard the suit is made of Foam...thats pretty cool! But what made me rate 9/10 instead of a 10/10 is some missing details and inaccuracy but still awesome armor though!

I agree 9.5 ithica was the first non mark vi I saw that blew my mind away, not saying there isn't others, but his clearly will always stick out in a crowd, he really did an awesome job

Definitely a 9.5. Astounding as always!

The only downside I can see is that the front of the underarmour just seems to end. The models themself... sooooo badass O:

I have to disagree to this topic. After being on the site for 3 and half years this is not a good idea. This is not "HotorNOT.com." We don't "rate" each others armor. This is a community of members helping members learn and do the best they can in this craft. This topic is unfair since it does not take into account to huge range of ages, skills, and resources.

You can "help" members by pointing out "flaws" in armors or other props but this is not 501st where membership requires perfection. We are an open community that bring many skills to the table for everyone. There will always be someone out there who did a "better job" - fact. Let them teach others hints and ticks and let us not take the time to tell "little Billy" who's 13 that his armor looks nothing like in-game armor and rate him down for it.

I am all for having a topic to show finished armor to share with the community, in which there is one out there. I disagree with this topic where members rate how good someones armor is. This site has been around for a long time and we have never from my memory ever decided that we need to rate members armor. I don't think it should start now. We are not that kind of community.

I have to disagree to this topic. After being on the site for 3 and half years this is not a good idea. This is not "HotorNOT.com." We don't "rate" each others armor. This is a community of members helping members learn and do the best they can in this craft. This topic is unfair since it does not take into account to huge range of ages, skills, and resources.

You can "help" members by pointing out "flaws" in armors or other props but this is not 501st where membership requires perfection. We are an open community that bring many skills to the table for everyone. There will always be someone out there who did a "better job" - fact. Let them teach others hints and ticks and let us not take the time to tell "little Billy" who's 13 that his armor looks nothing like in-game armor and rate him down for it.

I am all for having a topic to show finished armor to share with the community, in which there is one out there. I disagree with this topic where members rate how good someones armor is. This site has been around for a long time and we have never from my memory ever decided that we need to rate members armor. I don't think it should start now. We are not that kind of community.

This is a great thread and this is why.... No one pulls someone’s armor in here and bashes it. The images are provided by the person being rated and they understand that this is a personal critique by fellow members. It is an excellent way to take positive criticism. If someone does not want to be rated then they do not enter and all ratings have been detailed and accurate along with professional. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread. This is not 405th rating armor and giving someone a status, it is members giving opinions. Do we need to do away with the "elite" section because someone was "rated" and found worthy? Does it offend people when they are not selected? I think people are looking too far into this. That's just my opinion. As for not doing this in the past so we shouldn't start is something that people afraid of change would say. Everyday we see new things started. If we didn't do new things everyday then Foam Builds, Pepakura and other forms of prop building would not be here. We would all still be a Community of Muckle wearing Master Chiefs. There is only one way to go.... forward... move over or stay with traffic.

Dave
Ithica

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread and this is why.... No one pulls someone’s armor in here and bashes it. The images are provided by the person being rated and they understand that this is a personal critique by fellow members. It is an excellent way to take positive criticism. If someone does not want to be rated then they do not enter and all ratings have been detailed and accurate along with professional. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread. This is not 405th rating armor and giving someone a status, it is members giving opinions. Do we need to do away with the "elite" section because someone was "rated" and found worthy? Does it offend people when they are not selected? I think people are looking too far into this. That's just my opinion. As for not doing this in the past so we shouldn't start is something that people afraid of change would say. Everyday we see new things started. If we didn't do new things everyday then Foam Builds, Pepakura and other forms of prop building would not be here. We would all still be a Community of Muckle wearing Master Chiefs. There is only one way to go.... forward... move over or stay with traffic.

Dave
Ithica

Dave, thanks for responding. Though I disagree with with this idea I do agree with the changes that keep us moving forward. New things are always popping up here I that is what keeps everything here moving forward. I find that great!
I just think that personal WIP topics by members is the place for personal critique by fellow members and that we don't need another topic that really is doing the same thing.

I hate traffic so I don't intentionally mean to cause it here. As long as members keep it polite and professional I think it topic could help new member learn about items that are commonly missing. We may find other things. All members are welcome to try new things! That's why I stick around here to find new ideas and topic to learn!

All of this is nothing personal Dave. Same team. Just my two cents.

Dave, thanks for responding. Though I disagree with with this idea I do agree with the changes that keep us moving forward. New things are always popping up here I that is what keeps everything here moving forward. I find that great!
I just think that personal WIP topics by members is the place for personal critique by fellow members and that we don't need another topic that really is doing the same thing.

I hate traffic so I don't intentionally mean to cause it here. As long as members keep it polite and professional I think it topic could help new member learn about items that are commonly missing. We may find other things. All members are welcome to try new things! That's why I stick around here to find new ideas and topic to learn!

All of this is nothing personal Dave. Same team. Just my two cents.

Yes its true, many agree and many disagree with this thread. But if you actually go through the thread of people being rated, they are happy with our decisions and criticism. If you don't like to criticize, don't. If you can't accept criticism, don't. I am not asking you to!

And to all, this thread will be on Break from 27 March till April 1st. So send in your PM by on April 2nd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back