1st Build Re: Clutch's Reach ODST Build

More progress has been made, yesterday was a fight against the heat wave we had. Working 12 hours in my garage on this and drenched in sweat, toward the end of the day I didn't feel like I made much progress. But oh boy once I got that coat of filler primer on that all melted away and felt proud.

I didnt quite get all i wanted done yesterday but i got enough done. I have finally finished coating all the armor in UV Resin, i just have to go through and sand my shoulders, thighs, and 1 gauntlet with 220 grit and I'll be good to go to finish getting everything that first coat.

From there its just hitting some hot spots with glazing spot putty and sanding up to 320 grit to start painting.

Still have a lot of work to do but im getting there.
20230814_012652.jpg
20230814_012734.jpg
20230814_012825.jpg
20230814_012752.jpg

More progress has been made, yesterday was a fight against the heat wave we had. Working 12 hours in my garage on this and drenched in sweat, toward the end of the day I didn't feel like I made much progress. But oh boy once I got that coat of filler primer on that all melted away and felt proud.

I didnt quite get all i wanted done yesterday but i got enough done. I have finally finished coating all the armor in UV Resin, i just have to go through and sand my shoulders, thighs, and 1 gauntlet with 220 grit and I'll be good to go to finish getting everything that first coat.

From there its just hitting some hot spots with glazing spot putty and sanding up to 320 grit to start painting.

Still have a lot of work to do but im getting there.
View attachment 334527View attachment 334528View attachment 334529View attachment 334530
I've been hearing more and more people use UV resin for finishing 3d prints. Do you coat the UV resin on the raw print or doing a few passes of sanding first? It came out great!

I've been hearing more and more people use UV resin for finishing 3d prints. Do you coat the UV resin on the raw print or doing a few passes of sanding first? It came out great!
So I've heard you can do that, but I went and bought a hand detail/mouse sander, did a pass of 80, then 100, then 150, then 220 grit then I went to the UV resin. That way it took up less time and less coats for the resin.
For the resin itself I did one one quick thin pass of the resin and then threw it in my UV box, (sometimes I'll just do a section at a time depending on the size) once it's cured, ill take it out, spray it down with 99.9% IPA wipe with a shop towel and repeat another time or 2. Then sand from there, then filler primer and bam at this stage lol.
Still gonna hit some got spots with glazing spot putty but that's after the filler primer.

I have more painted than this but this is all I've has time to take picture of ATM.

visor has been vacuum formed and ready for dye and chroming.

this has been my first time using Montana Gold Paints and I honestly don't know what everyone is ranting about.... my experience has been awful.
View attachment 334742
That visor looks great! glad you got it fixed away

i like how you're brave enough to show us up-close pictures of your sanded pieces, i know i'm not, looks great tho, good job.

i like how you're brave enough to show us up-close pictures of your sanded pieces, i know i'm not, looks great tho, good job.
Yeah I used UV Resin to smooth everything out and it works SOOOOO well, there's a couple small spots I missed but no one will notice them unless they are really in my personal space. The area where the visor sits I left alone just because I'd rather have some thing for the visor hot glue to stick to and you won't see it anyways

Got all the armor rigged today, unfortunately I did not have time to get a full kit up picture of everything right now, but these should suffice in the mean time.

20230828_014402.jpg

had a bit of a "snap-foo" when putting on the armor to test for placement, so we fixed it and it should hold *aggressively knocks on wood*
20230828_014412.jpg
20230828_014433.jpg

20230828_014406.jpg

also got my visor dyed the color I wanted it, words of wisdom though... do your lighter dyes first lol.. the yellow took well over an hour compared to the reds like 20 min
20230828_072035.jpg

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back