Props Reach Pistol Nite Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
LS had a very clunky breech setup. It worked well, but definitively had a lot of extra stuff in there, haha.
When you ask "larger weapons," do you mean to adapt this project to something more like the AR, BR, or DMR?
Indeed. But, honestly, I mean any gun that's bigger than the M6 series.

2010-08-16185352.jpg

How heavy are all of those wood pieces together?

i used a painted longshot as a prop a while back.. took the front pistol grip off and left the front piece on. it looked pretty good,, but nothing halo'ish ;)

I created a buck to heat-bend styrene over, but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped...
3059efe0.jpg

You can see it looks majorly warped.
Unless you guys have any tips, I'm gonna have to rebuild it with layers of plastic or vacu-form it (and I don't have a vacuum former)...

Holy crap I must update my thread, because we are building the same way. I have that same styrene for the grip.
Looks great.

Oh I forgot to mention a tip that might help. I have been messing with it on my build. I will try to get some pics up soon for it. I cut out the basic side shape of that part and then scored the backside of the styrene so it would bend into shape. If you make it just right you can basically make a top canopy and then work from there. If that makes sense. Pics will help the explanation.

Oh I forgot to mention a tip that might help. I have been messing with it on my build. I will try to get some pics up soon for it. I cut out the basic side shape of that part and then scored the backside of the styrene so it would bend into shape. If you make it just right you can basically make a top canopy and then work from there. If that makes sense. Pics will help the explanation.
Now, I'm not exactly sure what you meant but I think I got the gist of it.
I just tried something real quick; now I'm not sure if this was what you were talking about, but it inspired me to try this:
f2cc1181.jpg

c872e674.jpg

a466a5a9.jpg

I basically scored the styrene, but not enough to snap it. Now I can fill the scored vallies with super glue until I can fill it with bondo tomorrow. Now it fits on my buck! I dunno if this is what you meant, but it works! Thanks Smick! :)

Right on man. That's exactly what I meant. Keep up the good work. I don't know if you can tell in your reference pics but the back kind of tapers in, don't forget to do that part. Its pretty subtle but its there, not that it needs to have all the details. A bit more cutting, scoring and bending and it will be pro.
There are also some angles on the front of the main front of the body that are hard to see and duplicate, I cant tell if you got them. Got a front view pic?
This is why I keep coming to this site. The help you can give or get here always helps people. Helps us all make great props.

Right on man. That's exactly what I meant. Keep up the good work. I don't know if you can tell in your reference pics but the back kind of tapers in, don't forget to do that part. Its pretty subtle but its there, not that it needs to have all the details. A bit more cutting, scoring and bending and it will be pro.
Got it!
ad9d3b62.jpg

There are also some angles on the front of the main front of the body that are hard to see and duplicate, I cant tell if you got them. Got a front view pic?
You mean like in this ref pic:
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b412/juliet76_405th/M6B/reach_1152884_Full.jpg?1282415498
How it tapers down at the top of the muzzle and at the bottom?
Yeah, I haven't to that part yet, mostly because there isn't enough wood between the two sides yet (if that makes any sense). Here's a pic of the front:
32611013.jpg

I believe what I'm going to have to do is cut off the bottom scope under the barrel and work on that piece and the front tapering separately, to give me more room to work, then reattach the scope (or is that the laser?).

And here's a picture of the top! It's still got more work to go, but I'll have to be extremely delicate as not to cause any of the bends to snap...haha
97bf0835.jpg

Thanks again Smick! I'd love to see how far you've gotten!

wow! this is a great idea. My cousin is really into halo and has one of those nerf guns. i may have to try a similar tactic and do a conversion some time in the future. If only they made those things clip fed instead of barrel loaded that would be neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back