Reach UNSC Trooper WIP

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by TD2253, Nov 10, 2010.

1. xDark1ce

xDark1ce New Member

Hmm that seems to be promising, but i dont really like the pockets. theyll block the way :p the collar though i can transform w/ foam etc.

2. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Or you can get an ACU pattern t-shirt, cut the pattern out and have someone sew it up for you. CLICK HERE for the $7.00 shirt link. I might do the same myself.

yhst-28915820625087_2151_14453084.gif

Attached Files:

3. chrisrunner55

chrisrunner55 Jr Member

hey there Im making armor from your templates and I was wondering if you have the template for the two side pieces and the two small pieces under the main chest piece:

DSC01258copy.jpg
    DSC01243copy.jpg

Thanks I've been following your build and it looks amazing keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

4. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks man, got those files right here for you Chrisrunner. They are in letter format. Good luck with your build!

WaistArmorBackSection.jpg
    WaistArmorFrontSection.jpg

LowerChestPiecesLeftandRight.jpg

Attached Files:

5. chrisrunner55

chrisrunner55 Jr Member

thanks man this very helpful

6. TD2253

TD2253 Member

No problem! Here is the complete list of templates I drew by hand. Most of the bigger templates were traced on several pieces of letter sized pages so I could scan them. Let me know if you guys have questions on how to assemble the parts together.

Ab_and_Crotch_Plate_Insets.bmp.jpg
    Abdomen_Plate.bmp.jpg
    Back_Armor_Left_Section.bmp.jpg
    Back_Armor_Mid_Section.bmp.jpg
    Back_Armor_Right_Section.bmp.jpg
    Chest_Plate_Left_Section.bmp.jpg
    Chest_Plate_Mid_Section.bmp.jpg
    Chest_Plate_Right_Section.bmp.jpg
    Crotch_Plate.bmp.jpg
    Lower_Chest_Pieces_Left_and_Ri.bmp.jpg
    Reach_Trooper_Shoulder_Plate_D.bmp.jpg
    Reach_Trooper_Shoulder_Plate_D.bmp.jpg
    Reach_Trooper_Shoulder_Plate.bmp.jpg
    Shoulder_Armor_Lower_Left_Sect.bmp.jpg

Attached Files:

7. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Here are the rest, I couldn't fit them all in one post (limited to 15 images).

Shoulder_Armor_Lower_Right_Sec.bmp.jpg
    Shoulder_Armor_Upper_Left_Sect.bmp.jpg
    Shoulder_Armor_Upper_Right_Sec.bmp.jpg
    Waist_Armor_Back_Section.bmp.jpg
    Waist_Armor_Front_Section.bmp.jpg
    Right_Side_Waist_Armor_Front_S.bmp.jpg
    Right_Side_Waist_Armor_Back_Se.bmp.jpg

Attached Files:

8. gingersnapples

gingersnapples Well-Known Member

thats alot of templates... any progress on the helmet?

9. xDark1ce

xDark1ce New Member

wow its been a while since i've been here at 405th, wow i can't believe at the improvements you've made :D

10. Gixxer

Gixxer Jr Member

my man .. u are my new hero of the year ...

11. bigolaf

bigolaf Jr Member

Your Templates have proved invaluable! THANK YOU! perhaps i will grace you with a pic when i'm done with my armor! it may be a "Naval ODST", but your army plates will do it justice!

EDIT: Here's the finished pic of the torso. [​IMG]

12. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks guys! Bigolaf, that turned out pretty good dude! Are you going to pep the jetpack?

BTW, I decided to pep the helmet instead because I wanted it to be more accurate and plus, I am leaving town for two weeks and won't have enough time to mess with scratch built helmet before Comic Con 2011. The hardest part of pepping the helmet are the ears due to the concentric rings and the way they have to be put together. Here are some pics of the helmet so far.

DSC01651.jpg
    DSC01648.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01654.jpg
    DSC01655.jpg
    DSC01656.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Varsity

Varsity Well-Known Member

love the build. how are you making really fine lines in your foam, like with a razor or something?

14. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks man! First, the lines will be drawn in by ink then, I use a hot soldering iron guided by a metal ruler to make the fine lines. You can also use a woodburning iron with a flat chiseled tip.

15. TD2253

TD2253 Member

UPDATE: Thigh pieces - painted and illuminated with EL wire.

DSC01657.jpg
    DSC01658.jpg

Below is the EL wire that I bought from Glowire.com for $7 bucks each.
    DSC01661.jpg

Below is the EL wire all wound up to fill the space. Top pic it's turned off and bottom pic turned on.
    DSC01664.jpg
    DSC01665.jpg

This is what I used to cover the EL wire which was .90 cents at Walmart. It was the closest thing to achieving the bluish glow from the game. This was cut in strips.
    DSC01662.jpg

Here is how the thigh piece looks with the cover piece. Top is turned off and bottom pic turned on.
    DSC01660.jpg
    DSC01659.jpg

Here is a video clip on how it looks turned on. The first click is flashing mode then always on mode.
    th_MOV01663.jpg

Next on the agenda is to sew up some black webbing to attach the thigh pieces to the belt and thighs.

Attached Files:

16. Gixxer

Gixxer Jr Member

woohoo .. love the thigh piece .. i was thinking to do the same thing but using ultra bright LED's instead. But ur el wire gave me an idea. i still have lots extra from my tron costume. those could be handy .. :D

17. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks Gixxer! The $7.00 EL wire should do the trick for me and it has enough glow to achieve the effect needed. In the meantime, here is how my helmet looks.

DSC01679.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Vulgarmas

Vulgarmas New Member

truly amazing u blew my mind thank u

19. thorn696

thorn696

Love the lighting. You're build is coming along nicely

20. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks Thorn!

While I'm waiting for shipment of supplies, I started working on the basic trooper backpack also done in foam rubber mats which I heated to shape one area on the top.

The backpack has two main parts. The cradle/basket part (bottom) and the backpack itself.
    DSC01694.jpg
    DSC01696.jpg
    DSC01697.jpg
    DSC01698.jpg

Attached Files:

21. Gixxer

Gixxer Jr Member

awesome .. btw, can i know where u get your reference from ?

22. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks Gixxer! I actually get about 80% of my references from the figures themselves and the rest are screen caps from the game. But here are some pics that I saved from the game and from Bungie's renders that hopefully you can use.

reach_12777859_Full.jpg
    Halo_Reach_-_UNSC_Army_Infantryman_Standing.png Trooper_leader.jpg Screenshot-3.jpg

Attached Files:

23. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Here is a short clip of me trying on my helmet after I finished painting and adding a light to it. I tried it on with part of the armor just to see how it looks. Still need to work on chin straps and helmet liner around the cheeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  24. spartan005

spartan005 Well-Known Member

lookiing good man um your goin to con right? if so you know the meet up is saturday at 11am check out the 405th so cal on facebook for location...

25. TD2253

TD2253 Member

Thanks dude! Yup! Will be there to meet up with everyone, got the location and time. BTW, thanks for the reminder.