Recon Helmet, An Australian First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ManBattalion

G'Day everyone,

I've completed this Recon Helmet using Slyfo's pep file with no scaling. In the following pictures you will see my progress.

In first photograph the helmet is about 95% complete.

Second photograph is of the material I used instead of fiberglass (I have family members who have severe allergic reaction to the stuff)

Third photograph is the helmet with Sculptamold applied.

In the end of this, I had to build a second helmet I applied too much Sculptamold. It would take forever to sand down, maybe if I had more spare time.

I'll upload more photos of the second (better looking) helmet tomorrow.

For now I would like to ask if you guys can supply any pictures you may have of the Recon helmet. Before you state the obvious, Yes I have tried Google.

WOW first time seeing this!! I've never heard of sculptamold before... Seems to make the helmet very rough and take away the details..
Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

SPU7N1K said:
WOW first time seeing this!! I've never heard of sculptamold before... Seems to make the helmet very rough and take away the details..
Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

My first go at it, so the first helmet is very rough (Blue Visor), but the second one is looking OK (Gold Visor) still a lot of work to be done on it :cautious: .

Sculptamold is cheap to buy AU$18.00 for that bag!

So if you're going to use this stuff....Thin coats first to keep the details and the later coats are for the details! :D

You can use a Rotary tools or Clay to add the details!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how is sculpt a mold strength wise ? If its any strong then I think we may have a cheap bondo alternitive. Helmet looks awesome by the way.

drgon47 said:
Well, how is sculpt a mold strength wise ? If its any strong then I think we may have a cheap bondo alternitive. Helmet looks awesome by the way.
It's pretty strong, very solid once dried and it sets very quickly. So you should only mix in small quantities. The stuff is great you can sand it, nail it blah blah blah. But I don't think it's water proof (since it's like paper any),My whole intension is to make this helmet and cast it. Sculptamold was acquired by accident I actually wanted plaster for a Mother mold I was making and picked up the wrong bag.

Any how here are some more photos from last night and from sometime ago.

That is nice work....great job so far! Thanks for sharing!

Here's an idea for the first helm, use a grinder [like the Bosch 1375A] to take off the bulk of the thick sculptamold, and clean up up with sandpaper when you get the time. Looks salvagable to me. :)

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Gunnz777 said:
Lol, I can has Recon? :lol:
Just what I was about to post! Anyways, he has the BEST recon ever! Real life recon owns Digital Recon.

Wow, Looks real nice :).

Is that a HJC visor you are using by the way?

Ninjahelmetzw6.png

Flaming%20Recon.jpg

Some images if you havn't seen them already :p.

I can get some renders later if you really need them though.

-Doom

Here's what I could find. And nice job on the helmet, it looks fantastic.

[attachment=2053:RECON_REF.jpg]

Reclaimer said:
Very nice. It's refreshing to see something other than the MC helmet.

Thanks, I was thinking the same, so I thought I'll do something differnet.

AoBfrost said:
Omg super awsome.

Bungie is gonna be mad you somehow got one D:

Very nice!

I'll just be happy if they don't sue! :whistle:

Spartan-K22 said:
thats awesome m8. keep us updated!

I'll post updates regularly

Halo_1 said:
That is nice work....great job so far! Thanks for sharing!

Here's an idea for the first helm, use a grinder [like the Bosch 1375A] to take off the bulk of the thick sculptamold, and clean up up with sandpaper when you get the time. Looks salvagable to me. :)

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Thanks Tim, I was going to throw it out! I'll give it a go when the 2nd Helm is completed.

Doom said:
Wow, Looks real nice :).

Is that a HJC visor you are using by the way?

I can get some renders later if you really need them though.

-Doom

Doom, that would be Awesome if you can get those renders! Especially the back of the Helm. I would like to add as much details as possible. Yes, it's a HJC visor. Iridium gold still in the wrap

Ruze789 said:
Here's what I could find. And nice job on the helmet, it looks fantastic.

Thanks for the pics, I'd really needed those!

I would to thank everybody for their encouragement on this project. I'll keep you all posted on this.

Steve

wow i like recon armor!! that helmet looks like it would be great for snowy conditions. the black under the eyes would cut down on snow blindness. wow what a truely functional helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back