Recon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallicagod96

hey I know i already posted a forum on the mk iv helmet but i thought it would be better to go the recon route i still do not know how or what to do after i scale the pepakura to my size for example i do not know how to know how to put the helmet together i would greatly appreciate the help then i glue all of the parts that connect together then i soak the cloth in the fiberglass resin and then i wait then bondo sand bondo sand bondo sand and bondo then sand then i cut out wear the visor would be then primer a couple of times i will just have my dad help me with that part because he paints for a living so he will propably know how many coats of primer to put on the helmet then visor then paint how do u guys like my plan is it good? please reply

I am not sure how much experince you have had with making pepakura projects but each piece of the helmet has a tab that has its own corresponding tab or section to connnect it to via numbers, 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2, and so on. Next you would want to resin the outside first, nothing super fancy but just enough so that when you put the fiber glass in the helmet it does not completely fall apart, know what I am saying? You basically have the rest of it down but I would suggest that you do not put in the visor until after you have painted it, why? because it takes away the chances of you getting paint on the visor, trust me, tape does not always protect the parts that you want, and I am not sure if you did this but make sure you size it a little bigger then your head so you can fit all the cool do-dads that you want in the helmet.

-hope it helps ^-^

when i was talking about the fiberglass resin you have to cut the cloth in squares or i should say strips and coat them in the resin and basicly its like paper mache

If you do as every forum noob should,

Read through ALLLL of the stickies.

If you can't find your answers in them, then ask in one of the Q&A threads...

this type of thread isn't necessary if you're taking the correct steps in research

Stevieboy7 said:
If you do as every forum noob should,

Read through ALLLL of the stickies.

If you can't find your answers in them, then ask in one of the Q&A threads...

this type of thread isn't necessary if you're taking the correct steps in research

Hey, hey easy on the rook. Lolz, does anyone really read through all the stickies? I mean sure it is the responsibility for the rook creator to research what he/she wants to make but soometimes its not exactly clear, very rarely but yea...

Last edited by a moderator:
ONESHOTKILL808 said:
I am not sure how much experince you have had with making pepakura projects but each piece of the helmet has a tab that has its own corresponding tab or section to connnect it to via numbers, 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2, and so on. Next you would want to resin the outside first, nothing super fancy but just enough so that when you put the fiber glass in the helmet it does not completely fall apart, know what I am saying? You basically have the rest of it down but I would suggest that you do not put in the visor until after you have painted it, why? because it takes away the chances of you getting paint on the visor, trust me, tape does not always protect the parts that you want, and I am not sure if you did this but make sure you size it a little bigger then your head so you can fit all the cool do-dads that you want in the helmet.

-hope it helps ^-^

yea thanks that cleared up a heck of alot of stuff i never knew that the tabs went to the corresponding number like 1 to 1 that helped alot and have any other advice for the recon helmet?

ONESHOTKILL808 said:
Hey, hey easy on the rook. Lolz, does anyone really read through all the stickies? I mean sure it is the responsibility for the rook creator to research what he/she wants to make but soometimes its not exactly clear, very rarely but yea...

i'll try my best thanks and im a dude just to throw it out there if u were talkin about me

when i first came i read all the stickies because i didnt have an acount and wanted to learn what i was doing before bother anyone, they really do help alot even if its something pointless like rotating a part it will all help out later.

box o crayons said:
when i first came i read all the stickies because i didnt have an acount and wanted to learn what i was doing before bother anyone, they really do help alot even if its something pointless like rotating a part it will all help out later.

thanks for the advice! :)

As for the basic steps, you've got them all in order. ;) If you have questions on any of the steps, you should check out Benstreeper's "How to make a helm: Start to finish" thread in the video section.

Also, there are always alternate methods for every step of making armor. For instance, if you're scared about using fiberglass and resin, you could try using rondo, or use smoothcast to reinforce pepakura pieces. You don't have to read all the stickies, but reading some of the "core" ones will help with understanding different ways and methods of going about doing things. Good luck with your recon! Oh, and the recon helmet file on the pep download hub isn't the best. Here's a link to a smoother version: Here

ONESHOTKILL808 said:
Hey, hey easy on the rook. Lolz, does anyone really read through all the stickies?...

A lot don't it would seem but everyone should. I don't like using myself as an example, because it seems arrogant but I lurked here for maybe a year, reading every sticky and relevant thread before I even registered. Even then I didn't register until I actually had a finished* helmet to show.

Apart from the updated photo at the top this was my first ever post here:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7557

Granted I don't think people should be quite that extreme in not posting but I can't say I'd be disappointed if there were more new member topics with finished stuff in them ;)

*At least I thought it was finished at the time.

To the OP, most people seem to have covered most of the basics so far in their replies, plus there's the stickies (the pep section is probably most relevant) for any other info that you're after. There's also a few other Recon makers around that might have useful info you might need, either in their threads already or you could drop them a PM or post (provided the topic isn't locked or real old) and see see if they've got any tips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back