Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well DeadGuy. I Troop as an Officer in the 501 and Scot Troops as a TK. He in a Garrison Officer and I am not. We 501 do not link Costume to an office you got voted into.

The only one is Dave Prowse He is Vader and I will do what he tells me.

Rob said:
Well DeadGuy. I Troop as an Officer in the 501 and Scot Troops as a TK. He in a Garrison Officer and I am not. We 501 do not link Costume to an office you got voted into.

The only one is Dave Prowse He is Vader and I will do what he tells me.

That's why I said I was reluctant to do that. I don't feel the position should have anything to do with your costume rank. I was trying to see if I could come up with an acceptable way of combining the two and still don't think I can. I was trying to appease those with an interest in discussing ranks.

The rank system is entirely up to the costumer.. there's no way to earn or lose it, because there's simply no rank system at all. The only time something like that would prove to be significant in any way is if you're filming a short or other form of playacting anyway.

This means that the fact that multiplayer Halo Rank is canon is NOT applicable here because it is NOT part of ANY canon costume. You wear whatever rank your costume dictates because it's simply part of your costume, to do otherwise, would be to move away from Canon.. Make sense?

That's only my opinion on the matter though.. very little has been discussed in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. Adding a rank to a suit of MJOLNIR armor is unheard of in the UNSC. On Marine and ODST uniforms, I don't see an issue, but most of us are SPARTANs, making all of us Chief Petty Officers (If canon. My command SPARTAN, 024 Nick, was a Master Chief Petty Officer).

Ranks shouldn't be an issue unless we're dealing with Marine or ODST uniforms and if a rank system is adapted into the final version of the 405th, than they would just need to be removed.

Deadguy said:
That's why I said I was reluctant to do that. I don't feel the position should have anything to do with your costume rank. I was trying to see if I could come up with an acceptable way of combining the two and still don't think I can. I was trying to appease those with an interest in discussing ranks.

The rank system is entirely up to the costumer.. there's no way to earn or lose it, because there's simply no rank system at all. The only time something like that would prove to be significant in any way is if you're filming a short or other form of playacting anyway.

This means that the fact that multiplayer Halo Rank is canon is NOT applicable here because it is NOT part of ANY canon costume. You wear whatever rank your costume dictates because it's simply part of your costume, to do otherwise, would be to move away from Canon.. Make sense?

That's only my opinion on the matter though.. very little has been discussed in this regard.

WOW! On your side on this one. (Calm down or I will warn you) lol lol :D

Spartan137 said:
Right. Adding a rank to a suit of MJOLNIR armor is unheard of in the UNSC. On Marine and ODST uniforms, I don't see an issue, but most of us are SPARTANs, making all of us Chief Petty Officers (If canon. My command SPARTAN, 024 Nick, was a Master Chief Petty Officer).

Ranks shouldn't be an issue unless we're dealing with Marine or ODST uniforms and if a rank system is adapted into the final version of the 405th, than they would just need to be removed.

When you change costumes, you change characters. You are not a spartan wearing a Marine costume because that would be non-canon. You become that Marine utilizing whatever rank is appropriate to a Marine from the game. The idea being that canon rank means you've seen a picture somewhere with someone in that uniform with that rank insignia that your costume has. On occasion there MAY be exceptions, where there's a legitimate reason for deviation from guideline, but at this point, I'd advise following what you see in the game. No insignia simply means no insignia.

Or does anyone have a chief petty officer rank for a grunt costume? :)

I guess the best bet is to say that there's no rank, there's merely costume insignias.. nothing more, nothing less.

This is NOT a final verdict however.. Canon costume guidelines are likely to be determined later on, and we'll be sure to hit the specifics of rank insignia with regards to canon as part of the "treatment" at that time. I'm merely suggesting that if you focus on what's readily seen in the game, you won't go wrong on any rank question.

Ah. I worded that wrong. If you have a SPARTAN costume and an ODST costume, the SPARTAN would most likely be a Chief Petty Officer, and the ODST would be something like a sergeant. Deadguy is right in saying that once you change costume, you change character.

Personally i would put what ever rank you like

Im personally going to use the LT rank just because im in the Army ROTC. But then again if a moderator comes over to me at an event with a lower rank i would listen because he is trusted by the admin

I would put ranks with a hierarchy.

Like you don't put the insignia you like, you put the one you are attributed (sp?)

Because if your insignia is general and your state's rep is a sarge, it don't work.

I would like a military hierarchy personally

Well, mostly it's going to be discretion. Be smart. Don't put a brigadier general insignia on a Marine's outfit, you'll look like a moron.

Since the 405th doesn't have a ranking system, it wouldn't matter if you had a Lieutenant rank and a Mod or Adam had a lower rank. You follow their orders without question.

If the 405th DOES adopt a strategy with ranks, then this will change. But it doesn't look like that'd happen.

those are cool, but we can't use bungie's logo design. T-shirts are coming soon btw.

LastSpartan said:
Because if your insignia is general and your state's rep is a sarge, it don't work.

Spartan137 said:
Well, mostly it's going to be discretion. Be smart. Don't put a brigadier general insignia on a Marine's outfit, you'll look like a moron.

Since the 405th doesn't have a ranking system, it wouldn't matter if you had a Lieutenant rank and a Mod or Adam had a lower rank. You follow their orders without question.

I think there's a point that some of you aren't quite grasping here..(and no, I'm not trying to be rude about it.. I'm serious). If I came walking up to you at an event, I certainly don't expect to boss you around, or give you any kind of orders. If I tell you to jump off a cliff, I expect you to laugh, not actually jump. The closest I'd probably ever get to ordering anyone would be that I'd know when certain events were planned, and I might suggest that it's time to get together for the parade now, or something.

MAYBE, I might suggest that we need more folks to volunteer for "table time". I also might ask you to quit yelling in the library or something, but please remember that as far as following the rules and stuff goes, you're pretty much expected to do that yourselves, and ANYONE is eligible to correct anyone else that's getting out of line or out of hand. If I'm yelling something, and not aware that a DragonCon spokesperson is calling for silence behind me, I'd hope you'd step right up and correct me so we don't piss off anyone. It's not about issuing orders.. it's about asking for participation, or directing participation. We're all volunteers here, and do what we do because we all want to participate.

Our ranks need to be those that you see in-game. If you submit something with an outrangeous claim to 4-star General Rank as a Marine in a combat uniform, we're going to challenge that and require you to submit evidence that such a thing has been seen before in the Haloverse.

If someone is showing up as a Fleet admiral or something, (or like a Lord Hood style costume) I certainly expect that the appropriate rank is used, because it's simply part of the costume.

If Adam, or a Mod, needs to direct an activity as part of an event, there's not going to be any worries about what our ranks are showing up as on our costumes. In some instances, it may not even be possible to lead an activity with whatever costume we're wearing. Like if Adam came up with a killer Grunt Suit, he's gonna' look silly removing the head to call out parade cadence or something.

Costume club... costume club..

Deadguy said:
Costume club... costume club..
"I have posted 5000 times, you will obey me because I am Chief Admiral! Bwahahahahaaaaaaa. Go get me a soda."

I can see it now. It's priceless.

I agree though, you guys are a little of topic...but i suppose it is somewhat revlevant. It at least has to do with costumes.

Deadguy said:
I think there's a point that some of you aren't quite grasping here..(and no, I'm not trying to be rude about it.. I'm serious). If I came walking up to you at an event, I certainly don't expect to boss you around, or give you any kind of orders. If I tell you to jump off a cliff, I expect you to laugh, not actually jump. The closest I'd probably ever get to ordering anyone would be that I'd know when certain events were planned, and I might suggest that it's time to get together for the parade now, or something.

MAYBE, I might suggest that we need more folks to volunteer for "table time". I also might ask you to quit yelling in the library or something, but please remember that as far as following the rules and stuff goes, you're pretty much expected to do that yourselves, and ANYONE is eligible to correct anyone else that's getting out of line or out of hand. If I'm yelling something, and not aware that a DragonCon spokesperson is calling for silence behind me, I'd hope you'd step right up and correct me so we don't piss off anyone. It's not about issuing orders.. it's about asking for participation, or directing participation. We're all volunteers here, and do what we do because we all want to participate.

Exactly. The whole ranking system isn't meant to be a social caste. Just because I may be a Sergeant doesn't mean I can boss around a Private. What I think this proposed ranking system was meant to do was to give our post counter more interesting feel. Personally, I would say the Sergeant beats the crap out of Advanced Member in the Veterans group.

Deadguy said:
Our ranks need to be those that you see in-game. If you submit something with an outrangeous claim to 4-star General Rank as a Marine in a combat uniform, we're going to challenge that and require you to submit evidence that such a thing has been seen before in the Haloverse.

If someone is showing up as a Fleet admiral or something, (or like a Lord Hood style costume) I certainly expect that the appropriate rank is used, because it's simply part of the costume.

And your absolutely correct. Adding a rigid rank is not going to work in a group all about building costumes to match a game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm sure Spase doesn't really want to kill this thread, so I don't think anyone should mention the aformentioned topic again.

I've reviewed the original ideas for a Recruit Costume, and I can't say that I am much of a fan of them. I understand that the point is to create a uniform costume that everybody would be able to procure easily and for a reasonable price, but I feel that the "BDU pants and 405th shirt" don't actually do this site any justice. The 405th is site for people who build costumes from the GAME and don't necessarily represent the 405th. I think we should keep it simple, but stick with actually Cosplay items.

Pepakura is one of the simplest of all of our methods for building armor on this site. It takes little time and money (compared to molded) and is pretty easy to do. Looking at the designs for the Marine armor from Halo 3, I would bet that most people would be able to build it with decent amount of respect to the originals.

I propose a new member welcoming package. When they first join, they'll have a message in their box with a pretty decent set of Marine PDOs as well as a little Read-Me of Do's, Don't Do's, a mini FAQ, etc. The point would be to give each member the chance to build a costume that would actually make sense on this site.

The 501st requires a personally built suit for membership. The least we can do is give every member the chance to have a uniform that actually has some depth.

very nice idea i would make some armor but i dont have any time at one point i had a pep suit but never finnished it and now i cant find it

Spartan137 said:
I've reviewed the original ideas for a Recruit Costume, and I can't say that I am much of a fan of them. I understand that the point is to create a uniform costume that everybody would be able to procure easily and for a reasonable price, but I feel that the "BDU pants and 405th shirt" don't actually do this site any justice. The 405th is site for people who build costumes from the GAME and don't necessarily represent the 405th. I think we should keep it simple, but stick with actually Cosplay items.

Pepakura is one of the simplest of all of our methods for building armor on this site. It takes little time and money (compared to molded) and is pretty easy to do. Looking at the designs for the Marine armor from Halo 3, I would bet that most people would be able to build it with decent amount of respect to the originals.

I propose a new member welcoming package. When they first join, they'll have a message in their box with a pretty decent set of Marine PDOs as well as a little Read-Me of Do's, Don't Do's, a mini FAQ, etc. The point would be to give each member the chance to build a costume that would actually make sense on this site.

The 501st requires a personally built suit for membership. The least we can do is give every member the chance to have a uniform that actually has some depth.
Its been a while since I've posted this and things have changed. I've sort of been rethinking it keeping in mind all the input I've gotten from other members. Remember, I was just kind of throwing the idea out there.

The member package is a great Idea. But I still think this could have its uses. There several uses that have been mentioned before. It could be worn by spotters, when you're taking a break from the heat of your armor or if your armor breaks on the road and you can't patch it up. All of those uses have been mentioned before. Though, maybe if they are showing progress on their armor? I dunno...once again I'm throwing things around to see what you guys think.

Kaya Tetsu said:
Its been a while since I've posted this and things have changed. I've sort of been rethinking it keeping in mind all the input I've gotten from other members. Remember, I was just kind of throwing the idea out there.

The member package is a great Idea. But I still think this could have its uses. There several uses that have been mentioned before. It could be worn by spotters, when you're taking a break from the heat of your armor or if your armor breaks on the road and you can't patch it up. All of those uses have been mentioned before. Though, maybe if they are showing progress on their armor? I dunno...once again I'm throwing things around to see what you guys think.

This could be just barely beyond post-mortum, but whatevs.

That's true. The recruit stuff would be excellent for last minute things. From what I've heard, our armor can get pretty bad inside. I suppose if you had your BDUs and Tee because you where hot is alright. But the Tee should probably be labeled with an "Out of Uniform" tag on the back, just to show that we aren't all morons who claim to have armor and don't.

Things like the Naval crew members are fine by me in the way of soft armor. The 501st has their officer's uniforms, and their canon. Unfortunately, making a soft uniform hits the areas of "Can do it well" and "Can't do it well", meaning that most either have the talent and time, and some don't.

I myself am decent with the needle, but give me my dremel, glue, and a bottle of Bawls, and I'm back in my league. This goes for most people here. While I'm not saying everyone sucks at this, most people on a site that works with hard props and armor are far more likely to be good with construction then sewing.

That and we don't really have any members with the naval crew uniform to begin with, so we don't have anything to work with. We would require patterns, refrences (which we have plenty of, BTW), materials lists... I could probably think of more, but it's 12 AM.

That's why I am such a strong advocate for issueing all members with a simple set of Marine PDOs and some links to BDU stores. Pepakura should be somewhere within most peoples range of understanding and ability. I couldn't say the same about using the FS HD MKVI chest, but simple should be fine.

At this point in time, the arguement descends into a state of near-religous debate on the proper way to do things.

But honestly, in my opinion, a recruit costume is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back