Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh. I agree with Weyland in parts and with Spase in parts. While the United Nations Space Command is a part of the United Nations, and henceforth, countries are basically meaningless, it doesn't mean that they don't wear their countries patch.

However, if you read this:

http://www.halowars.com/GameInfo/Timeline.aspx

You discover that all of the original countries that we currently know of don't exist. Hence forth, it becomes difficult to claim that you are from a specific country (in cosplay, not real life). Now the flip side of this is that the original flags now become a personal logo, similar to the widespread use of the Confederate flag from the Civil War. Logically speeking, you couldn't wear it on your shoulder, but you could paint it on a helmet, kind of like the way the soldiers in movies do.

As for rank, Weyland is correct in stating that the American rank system is based on British ranks. Albeit, we've changed them over the years and added parts to them, but unless place two insignias side-by-side, you aren't likely to notice that ones British and the other American.

But again, there is a flip side. The UNSCDF is nearly 500 years off in the future, so who is to say that we still use the same logo for each rank? It could have changed. And as far as I know, there is no actual image of any of the rank insignias, so we can sort of do as we please.

But if we want to remain together, than we will need to replace the insignias with something that is identifiable of what it is, but wildly different. I.E. the sergeant, which is three pointed chevrons. Instead of using 3 chevrons pointed up or down, depending on the country, have 3 horizontal lines. Easy to identify rank, but not country. Some are easy, like the Lieutenant, which is the same for both British and American, and some are harder, the Master Chief Petty Officer and Admiral.

Spase, since you seem to be in charge of the logos, designs, etc, you may want to consider implementing such a strategy.

Spartan857 said:
i dont know if gamestop's even sell them anymore, there were a very limited time only thing.
i was gunna make castings from them out of skulpy, and make glow in the dark ones out of som material my uncle (spartan161) has. would be sweet to be in a dark area and only see the eagle glow.
i dont have teh resourses to make any armor so... id love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd stick personally to the Halo 3 ranks. That's the only insignias we see, and inventing plenty of new insignia will only get us confused.

What would be nice is little country patch like in Stargate Atlantis. Just not too big, just to recognize people from other countries.

LastSpartan said:
I'd stick personally to the Halo 3 ranks. That's the only insignias we see, and inventing plenty of new insignia will only get us confused...

Just in case anyone is looking for some Halo 3 rank images:

I found those on the iPod touch fans forum a while back and they had a link to the original topic on HBO, click the link below for hi-res versions
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.f....pl?read=854391

I have all rank insignia in individual PNG format (I think it's PNG format, in any case). High-quality, if anybody wants them for anything.

And it would work perfectly.

For exemple, Adam could be a General while the mods are Brigadier (I would not put the Grade 1,2,3,4 tho.) the state rep could be Colonels etc.

Spartan137 said:
Spase, since you seem to be in charge of the logos, designs, etc, you may want to consider implementing such a strategy.

Thanks for the instructions... lol ;)

But I don't make the graphics, I just try to keep an eye out for infractions and do approvals for use for the time being until that position in the club has become official.

And for those who played Quake 4, the squad members wears their squad insignia like near the heart.
quake4_avatar6.jpg

Heh. My bad, Spase. That sounded more like an order. Maybe you could consider implementing a similar strategy?

As for the XBL ranks, those look to be similar to what I'm talking about. The designs are simpler and are less country specific than current ones. Excluding the Sergeant and I believe Major insignias.

I like the idea of state reps and squads etc, but the ranking system was rejected.

Those halo 3 rank image is nice. IF ranks were used I would prefer those badges, real military insignia should not be used.

i agree completely with CMAnavy. stick to the halo3 ranks. in our armor we try to stick to detail and accuracy, using a conventional ranking system would stick out to anybody outside the 405th who plays halo.

Belakor said:

I found those on the iPod touch fans forum a while back and they had a link to the original topic on HBO, click the link below for hi-res versions

Looks good I will and them to the Soft Costume List for the Guide Lines. We have not gotten that far yet but I have been adding to it for some time.

Robert-3378
Florida

Belakor said:

I think your missing one?

H3RanksDesktop01_1024.jpg

I think the best rank that would work is the Army ROTC/JROTC because the active enlisted rank have this curve to them that the cadet rank does not. But i would use the real officer rank since the cadet one sucks (dots and diamonds)

Or i would make them and put our on artist flare to them so we dont copy any one

Spartan 051 said:
I think your missing one?

H3RanksDesktop01_1024.jpg

I think the best rank that would work is the Army ROTC/JROTC because the active enlisted rank have this curve to them that the cadet rank does not. But i would use the real officer rank since the cadet one sucks (dots and diamonds)

Or i would make them and put our on artist flare to them so we dont copy any one

There Canon so, What it is is what it is.

Will add the New list

Rob said:
There Canon so, What it is is what it is.

Will add the New list
I dont know what your trying to say but i think i got it

Missing Insignia:

It not a rank but it was missing in a post

Unsc_Insig.jpg

Then for the rotc rank i was talking about is here

ArmyROTCMetalChevrons9010ATN.jpg

http://www.paradestore.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=314

They come in black an gold. They also come in an acu patch form that has velcro on the back. (i will take a picture just like the other set)

What you would use is the private, corporal and Sargent. For Gunnery Sargent you would have to combine two corporal ranks. When i have time i will take pictures of the rank all together with black and gold

EDIT:
The price on them are $1.95 for black any rank and $3.50 for the gold.

"I dont know what your trying to say but i think i got it"

The way it is looking. If it is NOT in Game, Book or Movie it is NOT Canon. We the 405th Costume Club are using only Canon in 405th club Costumes

Canon

A Halo Canon or Canon of Script. Pic, Art and Film or list or set of theses Set in The Halo World and considered to be authoritative as scripture by a particular gaming community, generally in Halo. The term itself was first used by Christians, but the idea is found in Hellenistic Jewish sources. The internal wording of the text can also be specified, for example: the Masoretic Text is the canonical text for Judaism, and the King James Version is the canonical text for the King-James-Only Movement, but this is not the general meaning of canon.

How is that.

Spartan 051 said:
got it thanks rob

EDIT:
Then did i answer your canon question then?

OK I am lost. I thought You ask me what canon meant.

As for the Round Rank thing, I think that go's on the Dress Class A Hat

Hmm.. the rank thing could prove to be problematic.

Putting rank on the uniform costumes are good for accuracy.

However, there's no rank system in the club, or at least none that's been added at this point. I'm reluctant to "connect" the rank to the positions held.

There's a sort of chain of command, that uses the positions, so it makes the most sense to follow that system. The idea of folks in positions having the officer ranks sounds ok, except that it means they couldn't be in "normal" marine costumes with that rank. For example, anyone seen Lord Hood in his Pelican Pilot uniform?

It kinda' defeats the purpose if you make exceptions for that sort of thing, but I'd hate to just ignore it.

Perhaps open-up some of the enlisted and unenlisted ranks, and restrict the position folks into the upper eschelon in each group.

For example, only someone with a position could be a gunnery sergeant, or a Brigadier, and only the club leadership can wear a costume with a General's markings on it. Non-positioned members could have anything else except those three ranks.

That ensures a high enlisted, and high unenlisted level.. so it doesn't look weird when we form-up for parades or whatever.. like in the 501st, imagine a tie-fighter mechanic standing at the front of a formal assembly with the Emperor and Darth Vader, directing them where to go be availible for photo oppourtunities or something. Or the Emperor being drilled by an ewok or something tarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back