Red Ring Of Death Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImaGonnaGetYou

I'm seeing waaay too many RRoD (Red Ring of Death) threads, so I'm going to clear it up right here.

First of all, NEVER open up your Xbox's case. EVER. It voids the warranty by breaking a seal (the seal prevents people from opening up their Xbox, then claiming to have a valid warranty), and will end up costing you more than $100.

Next, NEVER use the towel trick/penny trick/whatever. Some of these are extremely temporary fixes, and usually do more harm than help. Not only that, but these void your warranty, since it is obvious to customer support if you open the casing or use the towel trick (because they leave marks).

Now, then, why does the Red Rings happen?

When Microsoft was manufacturing the Xbox 360's launch consoles, they had a demand well into the millions of consoles. to meet the demand and still be able to keep the price below $450, they were forced to manufacture internal chips (especially the motherboard) with cheaper materials. Because of these cheaper materials, the Xbox Pro Console was able to keep at an average price tag of $400. Of course, to keep ahead of any release-month problems, Microsoft gave a 3-month factory warranty.

Only a few months later, hundreds of gamers had gotten the RRoD, and had sent their Xbox's into Microsoft. The number of Xbox's sent to Microsoft went up at a dramatic rate, and, to prevent a lawsuit, Microsoft extended the factory warranty to 1 year.

Microsoft then began testing Xbox 360's to find out the cause of the RRoD. Finally, it was concluded that the cheaper materials that had been used to create the internal hardware was not heat-shielded, and was literally breaking itself apart because of the heat generated by the console.

In a desperate act to save the console's sales, Microsoft again extended the warranty of all Xbox 360's, including the release consoles, to 3 years, and put aside over $1 billion to repair Xbox 360's that were sent to them.

When you send an Xbox 360 to customer support, Microsoft now literally replaces all of the internals in the console with new, heat-protected hardware, drastically reducing the chance of RRoD from a 33% failure rate to around 7%.

So, how do you prevent the RRoD if you have a release console?

First, don't play the console for more than 3 hours at a time. Let the 360 cool down for atleast 45 minutes before playing again.

Second, NEVER use an intercooler. It voids your warranty, and only speeds up the process of the RRoD, since it doesn't spin the fans fast enough to keep up with the 360.

Finally, NEVER keep the Xbox on idle for more than 10 minutes. Not only does this devour energy, it also keeps the console at a steady temperature which will wear the internals down.

If you've got any questions, I'd be glad to answer.

****Alright, I just realized I forgot to add something. Elite consoles, the new 60GB Pro console, and most 2007 Pro 20 GB consoles have heat protected hardware, although I'm not sure on the Pro 20GB, that's just an estimate. If I could get confirmation on that it'd be great.

EDIT: If you'd like to use anything I posted above, I'd appreciate if you asked permission.

EDIT EDIT: For reading purposes I have removed my orange text, k?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Yes, the above is all confirmed.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Added clarification regarding newer consoles.

-----------------------------------------------

Here, I'll add information added by others:

Sean Bradley:

I'd add that putting your console in vertical orientation speeds up the RROD. It's a heat issue, as the mother board warps away from the processor with excessive heat. Standing it straight up will cause the heat to dissipate slower than if it's kept in horizontal position, especially if you have a hard drive installed.

I maintain 17 360 consoles at my job. When we first set them up we had them all vertical, and experienced many many console failures, sometimes 3 or 4 a week. After we put them in horizontal orientation the consoles failures measurably decreased... now we only see 1 or 2 every few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread, good info.

I'd add that putting your console in vertical orientation speeds up the RROD. It's a heat issue, as the mother board warps away from the processor with excessive heat. Standing it straight up will cause the heat to dissipate slower than if it's kept in horizontal position, especially if you have a hard drive installed.

I maintain 17 360 consoles at my job. When we first set them up we had them all vertical, and experienced many many console failures, sometimes 3 or 4 a week. After we put them in horizontal orientation the consoles failures measurably decreased... now we only see 1 or 2 every few months.

In a desperate act to save the console's sales, Microsoft again extended the warranty of all Xbox 360's, including the release consoles, to 3 years, and put aside over $1 billion to repair Xbox 360's that were sent to them.
Wow no they didn't. I just got rrod after a year and a half and my warranty had expired. Then when i payed the 99$ to get it fixed it only gave me another 1 year warranty.

Bull3t said:
Wow no they didn't. I just got rrod after a year and a half and my warranty had expired. Then when i payed the 99$ to get it fixed it only gave me another 1 year warranty.

They did. How did I send in my release console yesterday when it's been over 2 years?

ALL Xbox 360's got a warranty upgrade from 1 year to 3 years. Fact.

The 3 year warranty is a common misunderstanding. The warranty is 1 year from the date of purchase for any problem, 3 years for Red Ring issues (retroactive to the launch consoles). If you don't have a red ring and you're over of the 1 year warranty, you're going to pay for it.

So if you get a RROD and you're out of warranty but you have a console made within the last 3 years, you should still be able to get it fixed. I've sent several that way, and haven't paid for one yet.

Remember that your 1 year warranty is from the date of purchase, not the date of manufacture. I've seen consoles with manufacture dates going back to 2006 still on store shelves. If anyone at the service center argues with you as to whether your console is covered under warranty, you must prove your date of purchase by sending a copy of your reciept or invoice and you can have your warranty corrected from the date of manufacture to the date of purchase.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
First, don't play the console for more than 3 hours at a time. Let the 360 cool down for atleast 45 minutes before playing again.

Second, NEVER use an intercooler. It voids your warranty, and only speeds up the process of the RRoD, since it doesn't spin the fans fast enough to keep up with the 360.

Finally, NEVER keep the Xbox on idle for more than 10 minutes. Not only does this devour energy, it also keeps the console at a steady temperature which will wear the internals down.

1. EXTREMELY Guilty, Sometimes play 10 hours straight :(
2. Guilty, figured a fan would help it out a bit, got it for free anyway
3. Guilty, I have left my Xbox on while I use my computer (they are literally right next to each other)

About 1 1/2-2 years, no RRoD? Guess I'm lucky

well said, i bought an intercooler about two weeks ago and it would only play for like 30 minutes

Yep, I play for over 9-14 hours, but I got my console when they first came out, and Ive never, ever overheated, hooray for my xbox...Its lucky

What you said about the penny trick is not true. I used the penny trick around a year ago and i have not seen the 3 rrod at all. But the towel trick is completely useless. It will only work as a temporary fix and i dont recommend that ANYONE does it because it just speeds up your consoles death

good thread

another thing that helps keeping you from getting the RRoD is by not plugging your Xbox 360 into a surge protector

the biiiig box on your power chord is in fact a big arse surge protector * i forget what its rated at and what the xbox rep told me it was* but plugging it into another one will withdraw more power from your xbox. then plugging in the intercooler withdraws even more power leading to the red :D

just keep it in an open area wear it can vent easily and when takeing breaks just power it down or put one of those lil fans that you plug in for yourself to keep kool near it

im going to have to raise the bs flag on how long to keep it running.

i bought my 360 1 week after it came out.
there have been numerous times where it has been on for 24+ hours straight.
i have never had a hiccup from it.
no freezing or rrod
only time i had a problem is when i forgot to plug in the a/v cable.
i leave mine horizontal and in a open space and it doesnt even get as warm as most do.
maybe mime is special lol.

redragon74 said:
good thread

another thing that helps keeping you from getting the RRoD is by not plugging your Xbox 360 into a surge protector
the biiiig box on your power chord is in fact a big arse surge protector * i forget what its rated at and what the xbox rep told me it was* but plugging it into another one will withdraw more power from your xbox. then plugging in the intercooler withdraws even more power leading to the red :Djust keep it in an open area wear it can vent easily and when takeing breaks just power it down or put one of those lil fans that you plug in for yourself to keep kool near it

who ever told you that needs to be slapped.

a surge protector is the same thing as a fusebox. when there is a short it switches off. other wise it is just an extension cord and multi tap.

and xbox dont put out energy they use it.

having a surge protector is a fail safe. nothing more nothing less.
and extension cord.
it doesnt restrict power or current.

i have my 360, yamaha rx-v1500, dell comp, and linksys a/c adapter all hooked up to one surge protector and it is fine.
its really common sense no offense.

I never said you would automatically get the Red Rings. Those are simply safety precautions if you don't want to send your Xbox away for a month.

But it WILL get Red Rings at some point, whether you like it or not, and leaving it on that much will only speed up the process a load.

EDIT: Also, surge protectors don't hurt the 360. The Xbox is greedy. It devours a ton of energy, but it doesn't give any back. That's why I have mine on a SP. :)

My 360 is:
-vertical
-connected to a surge protector through an extension cord
-right next to my tv

Now, this thing has worked fine for me, and I got RRoD two or three times from overheating. Turned it off for a minute, turned it back on, went back playing. Last month I turned my 360 on it immediately RRoD. It hadn't been on for over a week, so it couldn't have been overheating (no the tv hadn't been running for hours either, so it couldn't have warmed the console either). I can't remember when I got it either, it was either winter or the following summer after launch.

I'm on my 2nd 360, the first RROD'd, sent it in, and got it fixed. Fine for a month, then a friend steps on the disk tray :mad: . and warranty dosent cover that.... i get it repaired by a third party. a few months later it RROD's again.

I have a question for those who have experience with fixing 360's. If overheating is not the problem, its hardware failure correct? When i turn my old 360 on i instantly get the RROD. Even though i have a new 360, being able to fix my old one would be nice.

p0rtalman said:
I'm on my 2nd 360, the first RROD'd, sent it in, and got it fixed. Fine for a month, then a friend steps on the disk tray :mad: . and warranty dosent cover that.... i get it repaired by a third party. a few months later it RROD's again.

I have a question for those who have experience with fixing 360's. If overheating is not the problem, its hardware failure correct? When i turn my old 360 on i instantly get the RROD. Even though i have a new 360, being able to fix my old one would be nice.

When you had a third-party repair it, they most likely nudged or budged a chip, and it has vibrated out of place/shaken loose. I'd recommend just sending it to Microsoft again instead of paying a third-party company that can't completely replace internals.

And, yes, it is generally a hardware failure. A chip may be loose, the motherboard may have warped and cracked, your cords might be plugged in wrong, the power brick may have failed, the list goes on. Sending it to Microsoft may be the only useful option, unless they do not support fixing within Australia.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
When you had a third-party repair it, they most likely nudged or budged a chip, and it has vibrated out of place/shaken loose. I'd recommend just sending it to Microsoft again instead of paying a third-party company that can't completely replace internals.

And, yes, it is generally a hardware failure. A chip may be loose, the motherboard may have warped and cracked, your cords might be plugged in wrong, the power brick may have failed, the list goes on. Sending it to Microsoft may be the only useful option, unless they do not support fixing within Australia.
It worked for a while after the 3rd party replaced the disc drive.
If i want M$ to look at it (let alone repair it) it'll cost me upwards of $200. I disassembled it myself and couldn’t find anything noticeably wrong with it. No warped parts, Everything is firmly secured, the power brick is fine, I tested it on another 360, and please... the cords ARE plugged in correctly :cautious:. And I couldn’t find any bad solder points.
so i suppose the only option is replace the main board. Correct?

p0rtalman said:
It worked for a while after the 3rd party replaced the disc drive.
If i want M$ to look at it (let alone repair it) it'll cost me upwards of $200. I disassembled it myself and couldn’t find anything noticeably wrong with it. No warped parts, Everything is firmly secured, the power brick is fine, I tested it on another 360, and please... the cords ARE plugged in correctly :cautious:. And I couldn’t find any bad solder points.
so i suppose the only option is replace the main board. Correct?

I would assume so, yes.

I don't see how the Red Rings are occuring if everything is prestine. If nothing's broken, and you don't want to spend $200, There's very few options.

Also rmember that if customer support has a lot of trouble with your Xbox, they sometimes simply take one that was left behind from shipments past and send that to you.

Its possible that perhaps the GPU or CPU have just died right? I’ve looked aver the main board and cant spot anything wrong, but perhaps I’m looking for the wrong thing. Aside from warping and scorch marks is there any another way to tell if there’s something wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back