Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey just need little help, can resin be good for paper made armor (i really mean paper such as typewriting papers)?
thnx in advance....:)

ODST_FireTeam said:
hey just need little help, can resin be good for paper made armor (i really mean paper such as typewriting papers)?
No. Regular papers don't have enough heft to support the weight of the resin after you apply it on them.

Questions like yours have already been answered in the stickies so make sure that you all of them at least once or at least direct them to members of the Q&A team.

Last edited by a moderator:
InsolenceAndHeresy said:
Does anyone have a precise ratio of Resin:hardener?

if you would ask me i say its sort of 1:10 ratio coz thats wat i used on my ODST helmet.

hey it is a noob!! (oh wait thats me) i got into this thanks to the indy mogul podcast on youtube and i got a few questions:

they said to only fyber glass the inside. (i want to hear from the pros because i want this to turn out good) is this true?
if the resin is chemically reactive how long till you can put the helmet on your head?
where do i find a visor that i can cut and place inside my helmet?
what type of water proof stuff do you use on the paper before you use the resin? (i think i could ask around home depot for that)
and lastly how long did this take you guys. i have been doing it for less than a week and i have pepped the upper body. they said more than a year to make my first set!?!
and way it would be nice to get some help! Thanks!

it would also be nice if you could pm me because i am not sure how to get back to this post :oops:

I have a problem.
I resined the outside with just the hardener and the resin(like people said to) and days later, it only seemed to have laminated it, not hardened it.
It was a complete waste of time.
Can you tell me what should have happened?
Did yours harden in the very least, mine still felt like cardstock, and could be bended as such.

InsolenceAndHeresy said:
Does anyone have a precise ratio of Resin:hardener?

It depends on the resin and the hardener i think. I saw a bottle where it was 12 drops of hardener for every one ounce of resin.

TrackerXNinjaX said:
I have a problem.
I resined the outside with just the hardener and the resin(like people said to) and days later, it only seemed to have laminated it, not hardened it.
It was a complete waste of time.
Can you tell me what should have happened?
Did yours harden in the very least, mine still felt like cardstock, and could be bended as such.
Did you fiberglass the inside or just use the resin on the outside and nothing on the inside?
The resin alone adds some stiffness but it's the fiberglass that adds the strength and hardness needed to make cardstock do a passable act as armor.

hey,
could i resin the outside first then mod rock (plaster kinda stuff) the inside?
Or could i resin the inside then mod rock outside?
thanks for the tut really helpful!

ODST

I sat down today to start my fiberglassing aka resining, when i thought of something. To get the smooth finished appearance of the final product, would you use sandpaper and just sand the resin to shape OR use a bondo filler (or something similiar) to achieve that nice smooth and detailed look. The actual detailing of the lines and whatnot are done later by a dremel obviously, but its the smoothness that concerns me.

I had a thought, is it possible to coat a piece, Im going to use the helmet as an example, but coat the helmet with the resin on the outisde so it gets stiff/hard. Then cut it in half, like from ear to ear so that the helmet is in 2 pieces and fiberglass teh inside, since it would be easier to get into all the parts with the back of the helmet off. Fiberglass both pieces, then attach them together and fiberglass the seam? Im a noob at all of this, and am still stuck on the sizing part, but tahts a whole nother story! I have not tried this to see if it would work, but Ive got a few extra helmets, well 3 to be exact taht I can try it on since they dont fit, that way I dont ruin the "real" one. Good think Ive got a lot of time on my hands!!

sam i am said:
umm are you supposed to fibreglass the outside??
becouse others say the inside onlye

Let me clarify...

When MOST people say "fiberglass it" they mean to use the cloth or matting with the resin.

When they say "resin it" they mean mix the hardener and resin and put a coat of that mixture on it. NO cloth or matting.

so in the MOST COMMON sense, then no, you don't fiberglass the outside. you RESIN it.

Just ask if you need more info.

BTW I put 2 coats of resin (remember, no cloth!) on outside of my helmet.

Hey I'm wondering what surface I could coat the paper pepukura structure in so as to get the best resin job out of it? I started taping it all and I'm scared that it will fall apart if I just apply the resin directly to the surface. Any ideas?

i was wondering if this would work i found some strips of like plastered mesh that you just add water to then apply it when it drys it is really hard could i use that instead of fiberglass or would fiberglass be a better idea?

shoot didnt notice the same question up above but still sould that be fine

Brilliant Idea people. instead of using fiberglass cloth, why not use carbon fiber? once hardened, is would be increibully strong. and, if you layer it with kevlar or dragon skin, you would be just about bullet proof :D

after you get over the cost :cautious:

nynjamasta said:
Brilliant Idea people. instead of using fiberglass cloth, why not use carbon fiber? once hardened, is would be increibully strong. and, if you layer it with kevlar or dragon skin, you would be just about bullet proof :D
after you get over the cost :cautious:
Well, besides the uber high cost, you would also need a vacume bag for the piece for the carbon fiber to get its full strength. And if fiber glass is strong enough, carbon fiber would be way over the edge! :D

i came to find out, i bought 2 brushes and the first brush i didnt do anything to and that crap just hardened to hell right away, but the second one i got to a sink after a batch of resin and washed the bristles with Dish soap a couple of times and i was able to reuse it again. but stupid me tryed going for a second batch then wash and i ruined it or didnt wash it properly. i found this out b/c i was stupid and forgot to put a long sleeve shirt on(accually just took it off) and my skin started burning around my eblow. but once walked to the kitchen rubbed some dish soap on it and wiped it with a towel, it came right off, so i used dish soap to clean my brushes, and ive been using the same brush for a while now. like 9 peices or so and going

hey guy's im new at this and i'm going to do an odst armour,
and i know this is a stupid question
do u sand the outside of the armour

Hey thanks this has really answered a lot of questions as im uber new. I got inspired to do this by this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WK26NHx0o and in it the use hot glue to glue together the card stock, Is that ok and do I put it on the inside? Also is aqua resin ok to use on 100 pound card stock? Also if I put fiber glass cloth inside, what do I cover it with? is the inside covered with resin too? oh, and how do you put in a lens after you've resined the paper lens?
Thanks alot I know its alot of question but you can PM me if youd like, I've been reading forums here for 2 hours now :D thanks again for the great thread :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back