Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire thread was one of the most use full things I have found recently. I'll be picking up the materials tomorrow so I have them on hand. Then I'll start using the pepakura tut that was just has helpful and start some new unique projects. Very excited about this new stuff I learned and wish I had known It was that easy................well not easy but you get what i mean. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have read this thread tut many times and have found it very helpful in making the armor. I was just wondering where to buy the fiberglass mat. I already have the resin and have at least done my left forearm, but I just didn't know which fiberglass was the best to use. Thanks to any who know the answer.

Kaji Spartan said:
Okay, I have read this thread tut many times and have found it very helpful in making the armor. I was just wondering where to buy the fiberglass mat.
In the automotive section of Wa-Mart or K-Mart. Or you can also go to an automotive supply store like Auto-Zone and Advance Auto.

Kaji Spartan said:
I already have the resin and have at least done my left forearm, but I just didn't know which fiberglass was the best to use.
It's a matter of preference. Most people around here use the cloth but a few like myself prefer mat.

I bought an Elmer Brand All-Purpose Fiberglass resin. The can looks exactly like bondos and it came with the liquid hardener but dumbass me bought a seperate liquid hardener. If there really any differences between those two brands because I want to actually do the resin part correctly. Also I bought a Elmers Fiberglass cloth NOT Mat. So again is there really any difference between a mat and a cloth. They both say they require a fiberglass resin liquid to be covered over.

Ral Partha said:
In the automotive section of Wa-Mart or K-Mart. Or you can also go to an automotive supply store like Auto-Zone and Advance Auto.
It's a matter of preference. Most people around here use the cloth but a few like myself prefer mat.
Okay. Thanks for the info Ral.

So let me clear this up. You add a layer of bondo with the hardening mix inside to outside of the paper you are making. Then let it dry. Then you start adding strips of fiberglass and painting it over with the bondo mixture you used for your first layer? After that you sand?? Or other people I've seen them use some kind of putty and they sanded it down and carved in detail lines. What is that brand called and where can I commonly buy them at?

DeathOfBlades said:
So let me clear this up. You add a layer of bondo with the hardening mix inside to outside of the paper you are making. Then let it dry. Then you start adding strips of fiberglass and painting it over with the bondo mixture you used for your first layer? After that you sand??
Uh, not quite.
  1. Apply a couple of coats resin (mixed with hardener) inside and outside
  2. Let cure.
  3. Apply one or two layers of fiberglass (one at a time and on the inside only) by dabbing resin on it with a brush.
  4. Let cure.
  5. Apply a thin coat of bondo (mixed with red cream hardener) on areas that need to be smoothed out.
  6. Sand down.
  7. In areas where there are shallow holes or depressions, you may use spot putty to fill in.
  8. Sand down again.
  9. Sand down again with increasingly finer grit until smooth.
Or other people I've seen them use some kind of putty and they sanded it down and carved in detail lines. What is that brand called and where can I commonly buy them at?
  1. Bondo.
  2. where you bought bondo.

Ral Partha said:
Uh, not quite.
  1. Apply a couple of coats resin (mixed with hardener) inside and outside
  2. Let cure.
  3. Apply one or two layers of fiberglass (one at a time and on the inside only) by dabbing resin on it with a brush.
  4. Let cure.
  5. Apply a thin coat of bondo (mixed with red cream hardener) on areas that need to be smoothed out.
  6. Sand down.
  7. In areas where there are shallow holes or depressions, you may use spot putty to fill in.
  8. Sand down again.
  9. Sand down again with increasingly finer grit until smooth.
  1. Bondo.
  2. where you bought bondo.

For a finer grit is a 180 grit good?? Or does it have to be higher for the smoothening touch. Also when I am sanding down after I added the coat of bondo (what kind of brand is the red cream hardener??) What grit should I use for that process?

DeathOfBlades said:
For a finer grit is a 180 grit good?? Or does it have to be higher for the smoothening touch.
Go for at least three grit grades. For my projects, I went 60-->120--220. I even went to 600- and 1000-grit wet-sandable papers but that may be too much for you (especially the 1000-grit; even I think that I went overboard with that :p ). But darn it, the surface became so smooth I even considered not painting it at all.

DeathOfBlades said:
Also when I am sanding down after I added the coat of bondo (what kind of brand is the red cream hardener??) What grit should I use for that process?
Red cream hardener is the one in the little tube that came with the bondo can. If you can, stay with the same brand. Every time you lay down a layer of bondo, you go through that grit cycle (60-->120--220 and above).

Also I am currently working on a recon armor. I need close up pics on the helmet. Sideways, front, back, etc. Any ideas on great pictures?

Ral Partha said:
DeathOfBlades said:
For a finer grit is a 180 grit good?? Or does it have to be higher for the smoothening touch.

Go for at least three grit grades. For my projects, I went 60-->120--220. I even went to 600- and 1000-grit wet-sandable papers but that may be too much for you (especially the 1000-grit; even I think that I went overboard with that :p/tongue.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':p' />" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ). But darn it, the surface became so smooth I even considered not painting it at all.

DeathOfBlades said:
Also when I am sanding down after I added the coat of bondo (what kind of brand is the red cream hardener??) What grit should I use for that process?

Red cream hardener is the one in the little tube that came with the bondo can. If you can, stay with the same brand. Every time you lay down a layer of bondo, you go through that grit cycle (60-->120--220 and above).

Just to make sure is the bondo red cream stuff this ? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=40188-98-262T

*Disclaimer* -meant to be informative yet silly-

so you start with this

fullfill005.jpg

Then you apply just this

E770_tmb_photo.jpg

To the outside a few times.

Then you use this

E770_tmb_photo.jpg

+ either of these

311BRKBZRZL_SL500_AA280_.jpg
31HBCTRS75L_SL500_AA233_.jpg

On the inside. Apply in strips. Do one layer, and then a second if you so desire

Then use this

076308002626md.jpg

On the outside. Apply as smooth as possible with one of these

3m-blue-bondo-applicator.jpg

Use the bondo + cream hardener which should come with it under the cap to fill in imperfections.

Then sand with these

sandpaper.jpg

Your choice of sandpaper, starting at a rough grit and moving on to finer grit. I go from 100 all the way to 1000 for ultimate smooth! Even wet sanding :eek

Rinse and repeat that until you are satisfied with smoothness. Then use this!

Rust-Oleum.jpg

A primer in a few light coats to bring out any further imperfections. More sanding may be required. Then use it right before painting the color of your choice.

Then its miller time and party time and you'll be like this because your armor is done!

happy-face-770659.png

I hope you enjoyed this silly explaination. I also hope that it was actually informative due to the pictures and nonsense.

E770_tmb_photo.jpg

DeathOfBlades said:

WOW! I'm mean WOW! That is all I can say WOW! That is probably the most best f***ing guide I have ever seen in my life that it made me cry T_T. Even a disordered kid could easily understand it. You are my HERO LOSTDUDE!!!!! But I do have one extra question. Where can you buy those mask thingys for painting that covers your mask. And are they cheap?? Also does the bondo body filler have that bad for you smell just like the fiberglass resin or is it not even harmful at all?

Bondo does have a smell but it's a fraction as strong as resin. The biggest thing that rates as hazard is the dust made by dry sanding the stuff, wet sanding is less of a hazard since the water helps trap the stuff.

When you apply resin on larger type scale armor like chest plate, is it highly recommended to apply part of section of the armor and let it dry up and move onto other section of the armor? Should I avoid applying resin all at once?

Matus_Fenix said:
When you apply resin on larger type scale armor like chest plate, is it highly recommended to apply part of section of the armor and let it dry up and move onto other section of the armor? Should I avoid applying resin all at once?

It is best to do it in sections. This way it will be much more organized and also a whole lot cleaner and less thinking/remeasuring because the instructions on the back of your resin thing should say 7 drops hardener : 1 tablespoon of resin. So using that much is enough for each section. Also if you do it on the whole entire thing you will end up with drippy resin that you will probably not have to sand down if you're going to apply bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back