Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
seanyguy said:
Thanks for the awesome tutorial! I'm getting ready to make an ODST helmet (start with something that looks easy), and I was able to find every resource I needed at a Canadian Tire (fibreglass resin, liquid hardener, and I'll get the fibreglass cloth soon) and a Michael's (brushes, the paint I'll be using, some see through plastic sheets and some interior stained glass paint), so this is going to be a pretty fun project. Sorry if it's been asked, I've looked around and either overlooked these questions or didn't see them, but..

1. The fibereglass cloth on the outside is just personal preference, right? You can just use it inside for the sturdiness and it'll be fine?

2. If you use the fibreglass resin and liquid hardener on the outside, do you need anything else, or are you good to sand it and paint it once the inside is re enforced with the cloth?

and last

3. Do you fibgreglass cloth the visor area, then cut it out with a dremmel and put in the actual visor you're using?

Thanks in advance, again, sorry if these questions have been asked.

Just use the resin on the visor area, no need to waste the 'glass on something that's going to be cut out and tossed. btw, the resin will make it easy to cut :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried using woven fiberglass? It would be much stronger than the stuff showed in the tutorial, but may have problems getting it to drape over complex geometries, but has anyone tried it, I am working on some an ODST helmet and will have it resin ready in about a week or two and just wanted to see what the reason was.

Thanks in advanced

You only fibre glass the inside. if you fibre glass the outside then you will need to sand the entire thing down even more and you will lose a lot of detail making your work harder in the long run. If you would actually read a lot of the posts within this then you would know that.

Jay123way said:
You only fibre glass the inside. if you fibre glass the outside then you will need to sand the entire thing down even more and you will lose a lot of detail making your work harder in the long run. If you would actually read a lot of the posts within this then you would know that.

wow! is this like your first post?

anyway thanks

This is the first tutorial I read and it helps so much however I tried to go the smoothcast 320 route which was difficult lol but I will be trying fiberglassing soon thanks again

ive been reading alot too but my mind is having a hard time taking in all the info! lol if you only do fiberglass on the inside why does he do it on the outside for the tutorial? and do you resin the inside of the helmet as well?

tbonejones247 said:
ive been reading alot too but my mind is having a hard time taking in all the info! lol if you only do fiberglass on the inside why does he do it on the outside for the tutorial? and do you resin the inside of the helmet as well?

You can fiberglass the outside, but it means you would have to sand it and lose some of the detail so that's why people are saying fiberglass the inside mkay?

Question....Do I have to use a respirator, or will like a regular sawdust breath filter mask thing work JUST for the fiberglassing part?

Also, does anyone know a formula or something for me to figure out how much resin I will need? I don't want to have to continue buying resin...Thanks.

Question....Do I have to use a respirator, or will like a regular sawdust breath filter mask thing work JUST for the fiberglassing part?

Also, does anyone know a formula or something for me to figure out how much resin I will need? I don't want to have to continue buying resin...Thanks.

Also wondering, would it be cheaper in the long run to buy several Bondo repair kits, aka fiberglass resin, hardener, and cloth for about 18 bucks each or to buy the materials separately. The kit comes with 1/2 pint of resin at $18, a quart of resin and hardener costs about the same, the gallon is around $32 bucks.Thanks!

Dutch said:

Also wondering, would it be cheaper in the long run to buy several Bondo repair kits, aka fiberglass resin, hardener, and cloth for about 18 bucks each or to buy the materials separately. The kit comes with 1/2 pint of resin at $18, a quart of resin and hardener costs about the same, the gallon is around $32 bucks.Thanks!

Fiberglass is NASTY stuff, I would HIGHly recommend a respirator

Repirator... Not dust mask.

Just buy a normal sized container of Resin, some Fiberglass Matt, or cloth. At Walmart, that should cost somewhere around 15 dollars.

for sanding best you can do is use p80 first when its 95% done go over it with p180 when tis is done just go over an tough it with p220-280 this wil give you a verry good underground for the paint to stick and wil look verry smooth

Grtz

First this I wanna say is nice tut. Second thing. Is there a difference between the different resins. Is one thicker than others? I have my pieces pepped, but trying to find the resin is baffeling me.

Drakon said:
First this I wanna say is nice tut. Second thing. Is there a difference between the different resins. Is one thicker than others? I have my pieces pepped, but trying to find the resin is baffeling me.

Hey Drakon fancy running into you here

there are two main types of resin,Fiberglass resin, the stuff you find @ home depot/lowes/walmart about $35 a gallon

and Polyurethane Resin more expensive, not seen it at those kind of places is more of a plastic its used in a lot of the mold making

if your working w/ fiberglass cloth/mat your looking for the fiberglass resin commonly found in most stores that have a hardware section

and as a sidenote cant wait to see those pieces you've been working on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back