Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this isnt a stupid question, but how will I know when I have as many layers as I need?

And so with multi layers of fiberglass, from what I understand you mean to layer the inside: Resin, Fiberglass with Resin, and then Fiberglass with Resin again until desired # of layers. Is that correct?

Now I have heard the term Rondo thrown around here and there, now if I have all the supplies as I listed before(Bondo Filler, Fiberglass Resin, and Fiberglass cloth/mat) and I also have Rondo, what would be the best way about going for an extra sturdy build?

I meant that you should not have a layer of pure resin at all on the inside. There's resin on the outside, that is (or at least should be) sufficient to prevent warping. On the inside, you can put the fiberglass right onto the paper.

Rondo is Bondo thinned up with resin. There are no fibres in there, however (unless you use fibre-reinforced body filler) and the fibreglass-way will therefore be stronger per thickness.

would it be advantageous to use rondo with fiberglass instead of the typical resin used?

How do I fiberglass the inside of a helmet? I keep hearing that you don't want to fiberglass the outside but it seems difficult to do.
do you just do several layers or is there some other step before you can paint and wear?

you should fiber glass the inside first to give it stability. Its done the same as anything else get a paint brush and put a thin layer of the fiberglass resin all over the inside then go back and dip the fiberglass mate in the resin and place it evenly inside the helmet. remember to have the fiberglass mate cut into small pieces but not to small.

What's Bondo even for. If you aren't planning to sand any details because the Pep files are good enough can you just ignore the Bondo? As for warping. What type of cardstock will warp and how would you reinforce it.

would it be advantageous to use rondo with fiberglass instead of the typical resin used?

Putting fibreglass into rondo would make it a lot harder, but also harder to sand. Depends on why you use rondo in the first place I guess. You can't leave out the resin, however.

How do I fiberglass the inside of a helmet? I keep hearing that you don't want to fiberglass the outside but it seems difficult to do.
do you just do several layers or is there some other step before you can paint and wear?

Do one layer first, chances are that your resin won't give you enough time to do more. If you have the time, you can do multiple layers at the same time.

Once it's cured, you can work on the shape with body filler (make it round etc.) and then paint it.

What's Bondo even for. If you aren't planning to sand any details because the Pep files are good enough can you just ignore the Bondo? As for warping. What type of cardstock will warp and how would you reinforce it.

If you think your model is good enough as it is, then skip the body filler.

Hi, i am about to resin my first pep and i was wondering if i should resin the visor area and cut it out later or should i just resin everything but the visor area. Also being my first pep there are a few tiny gaps between areas were i didn't glue perfectly is this going to be a problem during resining? Thanks in Advance =D

If you can resin everything but the visor area and when you cover the inside with fiberglass cloth try to keep from putting the cloth within the vicinity of the visor, when you do the cloth and brush it heavily with resin it should come out a little on small spaces showing on the outside of the helmet.

really good tut. I really appreciate it. It helped a bunch. I just finished fiberglassing the inside of my ODST helm and had a question. What do you normally do to the fiberglass after it cures? paint the inside? or just glue the padding in?

Hey i just finished pepping alot of my parts and am ready to resin and fiberglass. From my reading it seems that some people fiberglass and resin the inside, and some resin and fiberglass the outside. Any suggestions on weather putting the fiberglass and resin on the inside or outside works better?

I would put it inside for sure. fiberglass is really hard to get smooth and sanding it sucks. If you put it inside you can hide all the ugly. Plus it comes out just as strong either way. So definitely fiberglass the inside.
Hope that helps.

plus heres another thing: if the resin is dry and it still feel alittle tacky just put babypowder on it and it will dry it up and cover up the smell

and another trick is if you want to thicken the fiberglass resin add lots of babypowder to the mix, add it before you mix in the harder (it will take a few mins to mix it)

That is an amazing idea and I will have to try it sometime. Once the weather breaks up here in the frozen wastes of Indiana I will get back to work on my projects. Baby powdering the parts should allow me to store them in my basement quicker.

Im not sure if its cool for me to comment on this or not, because the threads a little old, but i am curious: If i am using a compressed cardboard material with hot glue, can i use the typical brands of resin, or do i have to use a special brand?

Im not sure if its cool for me to comment on this or not, because the threads a little old, but i am curious: If i am using a compressed cardboard material with hot glue, can i use the typical brands of resin, or do i have to use a special brand?

I noticed no one replied for a while to your post and I hope you got your answer. However, more than likely, you can use a typical resin. I got mine at Wal Mart. I just hate figuring out the resin to catalyst ratio (boo).

Has anyone tried using small amounts of EnviroTex Lite ($32) available at Michaels? I've thought about brushing it on in smaller amounts as it is a mix in pour in equal amounts so there is no worry for about a ratio of how many drops of catalyst to so much amount of resin. I just have a worry if it will work on card stock and drying time.

Quote: "EnviroTex Lite® is a reactive polymer compound. It cures to a thick, glossy coating in about 8 hours at 70°F, and reaches full strength and toughness in about 48 hours. This durable, resilient material requires no polishing to produce a high gloss. One coat is all that is usually required for a deep attractive finish, however, two or more coats maybe applied one over the other by simply wiping the surface with a clean cloth and alcohol prior to recoating. Four ounces of Envirotex Lite covers one square foot."

Thanks in advance

Show I wear a respirator when I resin and fiberglass my helmet? I will be doing it in my garage with the door open so there will be a lot of airflow.

Show I wear a respirator when I resin and fiberglass my helmet? I will be doing it in my garage with the door open so there will be a lot of airflow.

The answer is yes. The fumes and dust from fiberglass are invinsible. Inhaling them can have serious effect on your health. You should, if possible, do it outside. The fumes will stay in your garage for a few hours even with constant airflow.

I work outside and always wear a respirator and safety glasses when using fiberglass resin and bondo. You'll be up close with the material so even with a breeze you'll intake the fumes. Better safe than sorry. You may want to check out venture's safety guide write-up if you're looking for more info on the materials and necessary equipment (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33426-Prop-Making-Safety-Guide).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back