Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks I was just curious. I just found out about pepakura a few weeks ago so ya....anyways thank you.

How do you know if its done curing- its not sticky anymore?
And is ti supposed to smell a day later?

Has anyone tried using woven fiberglass? It would be much stronger than the stuff showed in the tutorial, but may have problems getting it to drape over complex geometries, but has anyone tried it, I am working on some an ODST helmet and will have it resin ready in about a week or two and just wanted to see what the reason was.

I'm currently working on my helmet, fiberglassing with the cloth, and yeah, it's rough in the complex spots, but overall it's turning out pretty good i think. I'll be sanding it down and edging properly because, being my first, I want it to be perfect. Once I get the whole of it done, I'll put up some pictures or PM you with how it's worked.

make sure that when you are fibre glassing or bondoing use a resperator that has organic vapour filters as the fumes given off won't be stopped by basic masks/filters.

So i forgot to fiberglass part of my helmet that goes under my skin. I have been adding bondo, but it recently ripped at the bottom. Any suggestions on how i can mend it and make it somewhat strong? I was just thinking duct tape but something stronger would be nice.
Thanks!

So i forgot to fiberglass part of my helmet that goes under my skin. I have been adding bondo, but it recently ripped at the bottom. Any suggestions on how i can mend it and make it somewhat strong? I was just thinking duct tape but something stronger would be nice.
Thanks!

Why don't you just fibreglass the parts that you forgot?

Is there any issues with using Resin in cold weather? It's getting close to the 30's/40's where I live here in the states. I was just wondering if I will run into issues with it drying. I'm assuming it will just take longer. Also can I speed up the process with a heat gun?

Also how firm should my piece be after I apply the resin and fiber glass?

So far it still feels pretty flexible... hard but flexible.

Is there any issues with using Resin in cold weather? It's getting close to the 30's/40's where I live here in the states. I was just wondering if I will run into issues with it drying. I'm assuming it will just take longer. Also can I speed up the process with a heat gun?

Also how firm should my piece be after I apply the resin and fiber glass?

So far it still feels pretty flexible... hard but flexible.

I would also like to know this. Living in the UK, it's pretty poor weather around this time of the year. It should be ranging from between 5-10 degrees Celsius and due to fumes, it would be unwise to resin outside then bring inside to dry, would you say that is still too cold to resin?

I would also like to know this. Living in the UK, it's pretty poor weather around this time of the year. It should be ranging from between 5-10 degrees Celsius and due to fumes, it would be unwise to resin outside then bring inside to dry, would you say that is still too cold to resin?

5 degrees celsius is workable. I try to work outside when the temp is above 40 degrees fahrenheit (which is right at about 5 degrees celsius), and in order to make sure the resined piece dries, I put it in front of a space heater. 10 degrees celsius is equivalent to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the minimum recommended temperature for resin, so on those days, you should be fine. If you think it might be just a bit too chilly, add in a bit of extra hardener and place it in front of a heat source and you should be fine.

Another option is to get a large storage tub (like a rubbermaid brand tub), one that has a lock-tight lid. You can resin outside, put the wet piece into the tub, place the lid on and bring it inside. The fumes should not leak out of the tub, and the temperature will allow the pep piece to harden properly. Just don't plan on using the tub for anything else after you place something with resin inside it. The tub will smell like resin forever afterward.

5 degrees celsius is workable. I try to work outside when the temp is above 40 degrees fahrenheit (which is right at about 5 degrees celsius), and in order to make sure the resined piece dries, I put it in front of a space heater. 10 degrees celsius is equivalent to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the minimum recommended temperature for resin, so on those days, you should be fine. If you think it might be just a bit too chilly, add in a bit of extra hardener and place it in front of a heat source and you should be fine.

Another option is to get a large storage tub (like a rubbermaid brand tub), one that has a lock-tight lid. You can resin outside, put the wet piece into the tub, place the lid on and bring it inside. The fumes should not leak out of the tub, and the temperature will allow the pep piece to harden properly. Just don't plan on using the tub for anything else after you place something with resin inside it. The tub will smell like resin forever afterward.

Brilliant! Thanks for the advice. This means I should be able to start resining very soon! :)

this has more than likely been covered -

"But what kind of resin is bondo" - I am british, I hear everyone say bondo this, bondo that... give me a reference point of what kind of resin bondo is then I can jump on board.
is it polyester, polyuerathane ?

cheers:)

this has more than likely been covered -

"But what kind of resin is bondo" - I am british, I hear everyone say bondo this, bondo that... give me a reference point of what kind of resin bondo is then I can jump on board.
is it polyester, polyuerathane ?

cheers:)

Bondo is a brand in the U.S.
POLYESTER RESIN. A wide variety of polyester resins, allowing proper use according to every need.

Awesome post. This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to say what an amazing amount of information you have. I have gotten Pepakura, printed off some files but was still very unclear about how to finish the helmet once I had it glued together. Thanks so much for posting this info.

I did notice someone asked about SmoothCast as an alternative to resin and I didn't see an answer for that. That is something I was curious about too since I am already familiar with the product.

Thanks!

Ive looked through the forums on creation discussion and noob forum for foam armoring. Found nothing. So ill ask here if you can resin foam, or if you do resin foam? Will polyester resin burn through the foam and destroy it? Can someone either list the steps to foam resin steps or a thread that explains that certain topic? Thanks in advance

Ventilated area but... Respirator required?

Hi, I was wondering, if I purchase the Bondo fibreglass resin, do I need to get a repirator/mask? Or is working in a well ventilated area just fine?

i would say that unless you are doing it outside get a respirator. I work in large aircraft hangers and even that isnt enough for most chemicals. you can find respirators relatively cheap these days, that being said theres no price high enough when considering your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back