When should I release the helmet

• Right here... right now

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • Later... when the flashlight is done

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good, you did some nice work on it. Its pretty well done, especially for a helm with very little reference. High poly is always more fun than low :).

Here's some helpful tips on how to clean up the mesh a bit for unfolding.

When you are exporting your mesh, the mesh in your veiwport is in mostly quads. This is a good thing to keep for easy unfolding. If your program has this option, as you export your file to OBJ and if a window for export options pops up look for something that says Triangulate, if its ticked it will triangulate all the quads in the mesh, so if you can uncheck it your all set. You may not have this option though, i know my version of max does but i dont know for other programs.

The next is trying to keep quads flat, if you see a quad that has two shades of colour in it, than its bent, and all you need to do is move a vertex to straiten it or cut in an edge the opposite way the shades split. this is time consuming and not always necessary, sometimes you need triangles, other times you may not.

Good luck.

Ok I have all the areas fixed, but the last pic... could you post up a pic of the full helmet with the area circled? I cant seem to find it.

And thank you very much Forged! Coming from you that is a BIG compliment!

Hey, that was pretty quick. Here's the pic. It's just in front of the "ear" area, just under the brim of the helmet.
06.gif

I'm having trouble opening your latest file; tried it in Pep and in 3DSMax, no luck. Darn, I was excited to see the changes.

this is gonna be amazing...I don't have my 3d programs since my computer crashed but I can tell already just from looking at the pics that I'm gonna have fun on this helmet!

P.S. I used to look at the 3d models to look at them to see where I could make sub-assemblies. I did this using the pep designer 3d model screen and the 3d file if there was one that the modeler made. The sub-assemblies where then put together to make the full 3d pep.

Should be pretty interesting, yeah.

Rhinoc, I'm still getting an invalid filetype error when I try to bring in that file (now tried it on 2 computers). I know it worked fine as a .3ds last time, but maybe you could try it as an .obj or something?

It worked. And oh man. Wow. Huge improvement. I'm very impressed. My free time is limited right now, but I'll see what I can do about an unfold (and anyone else who wants to try to unfold is welcome, please). Thanks for making those edits, really this is SO much nicer, now.

Whew. Okay. I had a busy day at work, barely had any time to open up pep. I can't guarantee all the tabs are symmetrical (and I can't guarantee all the PIECES are symmetrical either, there are a lot to keep track of...), but heeeere we go. unfold v.1 of the Kat super-hd helmet is now available direct download right here. One hundred and forty four pieces over fourteen pages. Sized at a height of 260mm... which is hopefully CLOSE to a good size.

It's perfect!!! I can get started tomorrow.... Taking care of old people is very tiring yet fulfilling, even if it's your own grand-mother.

I'm gonna hit the visor first...I expect to have a little warping but nothing I won't be able to fix latter on.

I have started printing out the helmet and will edit this post again to post progress pictures on the proto pep build.

Here is the visor as of 12:22
100_0452.jpg

100_0448.jpg

wooaaahh, rhinoc... youve done Kat justice..
im am super excited to see how you will do the rest of the suit, did you get the female arm pics you requested? because if you still need some id be happy to help :D

nat

I will be making a thread later on my progress.....

I have more progress done but haven't taken any more pictures

would you still like them? im kinda built like kat.. slim, toned arms etc.. so i have the arms for kat! :p
minus the 7ft tall part.. (or however tall they are ahha)

nat

no way! ahah then she would be half the size of rest of noble team.. :D

ok well its late here in australia but i can take them tomorow, and upload them in the evening, would you prefer to have them posted here or sent through email?

nat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back