Rocket Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have been reading tuts, watching vids, and looking at pics on how to do this. I have seen molding, pep, wood, and something called carding.

Brain has gone to melt down and I am having trouble standing.... :oops:

My son (also a Halo addict at 8 years old) and I have decided to see how cheaply can build the launcher. So, we started on it today making it out of carboad, scrap poplar, all kinds of tape, hot glue, an old plunger, and any other thing we could find that looked like a part of the laucher..........

Today, one barrell is cut, five round cardboard plates are cut, grip templates are glued, and have not lost any blood. :whistle: He did find a stick bug crawling on the shop wall and caught three lizards. That was pretty cool to look at.

Tomorrow, we will be working on the center box, cutting the grips, and the shoulder mount.

Pictures are soon to follow.

One question I have, after I build this monster out of cardboard and wood, will I be able to use it to make a silicon or urethane mold to eventually make a resin launcher?

I'm actually working on a launcher also. I'm using PVC pipes from Home Depot. Not expensive at all. Did you know that the rocket launcher is supposed to be like 53 inches long, according to Halo.wikia.com? I hope that's right. My PVC is 48 inches and I think it looks too long, but maybe cuz I'm short. Should I stay for accuracy and go this long?

papamurf812 said:
I'm actually working on a launcher also. I'm using PVC pipes from Home Depot. Not expensive at all. Did you know that the rocket launcher is supposed to be like 53 inches long, according to Halo.wikia.com? I hope that's right. My PVC is 48 inches and I think it looks too long, but maybe cuz I'm short. Should I stay for accuracy and go this long?

Our tubes are five feet. Decided to start off longer just incase I have to cut it down. Got the tubes from some replacement furntiture parts that the two boy wrecked. However one of has a larger diameter than the other. So, looks like we are going on a hunt for a 3 1/4" diameter six foot cardboard tube. Yesterday, the UPS store did not have one.

I am going to try a fabric store, sign company, and a carpet store. One of them gotta have one they are going to toss. (y)

Pictures to be poste tonight.

Lastspartan - is it the video where he is doing the ODST helmet? If not, please point me in a direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's referring to adam's AR which was cut out of wood on a six axis mill and then molded so he could make resin copies. I don't know about cardboard, you'd have to seal it like he did the wood one plus provide enough structural support that the mold does not collapse your model.

You'll also probably need to do it in more than 2 parts. ex (top of launcher, bottom of launcher, grip)

Nice NAS armor BTW

Yep, saw that vid. Very cool Adam.

Day two: Decided to go with building sections at a time and make individual molds. (GO DAWGS!!!) :lol: Started on cutting out fore and trigger grips. Also, started building box face plate and loading receiver (the thing that looks like a flower pot on the a$$ end of the launcher ;) ).

Events of today’s projects: Got kind of a late start. Busted out three stitches that were in my right thumb that I got when I was repairing my armor. It is what I get for trying to remove dried hot glue with a carving chisel. It was time for them to come out anyways. After cutting out fore grip and then drilling hole for the plunger handle the wood exploded.... Arrrrgggghhhh Glued three more blocks of wood together to start over on the fore grip tomorrow. Took most of the day to make the trigger grip. Began drilling out hole for the plunger handle and the wood started to split... MARTHA FAULKER!!! o_O Stopped and decided to glue another block of wood on top to reinforce area for plunger. The face place and loading receiver went together pretty easy. Son had declared that he is head of the Goffer (aka. Go-For) Department and is litterally working his way up from the shop floor (had him sorting thru a mixed box of screws, nails, bolts, nuts, and a lot of other stuff). He did do a little sanding and rock collecting.

Pictures are below.

Starting materials
med_gallery_4895_219_164760.jpg

Loading receiver??
med_gallery_4895_219_162966.jpg

Box face plated
med_gallery_4895_219_111307.jpg

Tube #1 and face plated
med_gallery_4895_219_379534.jpg

Trigger grip

med_gallery_4895_219_277912.jpg

F'd up fore grip
med_gallery_4895_219_19464.jpg

The Stick Bug

med_gallery_4895_219_285716.jpg

Day three: I am obsessed over the project and am starting to loose sleep. However, gotta work, eat, exercise, deal with sick family members, and the head of the Gofer Department had to go to school today. No real big events such as blowing out stitches, lizards taken hostage, rocks, or stick bugs. Oh yeah, no blood lost today.

Accomplishments of the day: The fore grip was redone and did not explode. WOOT!!! (y) First, I drilled the whole for the plunge rod and then cut the shape out with my grandfathers 1940 Sears ban saw. Next, I finished drilling the plunger rod holder in the trigger grip. The reinforcement wood Gorilla glued on the top did the trick. :lol: Then I hot glued the plunger rod into the trigger grip and slid on the fore grip. Went together like shake-n-bake. Then I cut cardboard shapes for the box face plate and hot glued them all together.

Future planning: I think the face plate will end up being one mold. The fore grip will be one mold and the trigger grip with shoulder mount will be one mold. The rear receiver / flower pot will be one mold. The center box will be two pieces but plan to make only one mold. Found some more card board tubing and have decided to make the barrels one mold and the chambers one mold. Any recommendations from the pros on the mold making plans? (Adam, Sean, Sid, Brian, Briar, etc….)

Plunger hangle, trigger, and fore grip pics (kinda blurry I was in a hurry)

med_gallery_4895_219_215069.jpg

med_gallery_4895_219_94615.jpg

Face plate build up pic

med_gallery_4895_219_286396.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back