RROD, 2 360's broken. !!!must read!!! tragedy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Microsoft included the 65nm processors and the newer heat sinks in any of their units yet?

I have a Gen 1. 360 , never had any problems , thank god , but the noises it makes are annoying most of the time...stupid cheap DVD drive.

-Joe

*Woot...50th Post*

-Joe..again

HellraizrS88 said:
Just one of many examples of Microsofts ridiculous B.S. My first 360 never worked right and i ended up selling it to get the H3 edition, and even that one freezes up every now and then. I mean, for the love of god, this is supposed to be top of the line technolgy!! we as gamers shouldnt have to put up with this kind of crap, especially after shelling out over FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS for a console.

I SAY WE FORM A UNION!!
Good news is is that now all Xbox's come with the Falcon 360 processer, they just released this about 3 weeks ago, (the 2 free games I think was to clear out all the hot ones) the falcon 360 spits out better graphics and runs much cooler, the first to come out with this were the Halo 3 ones) that's why yours never freezes) shortly after, they installed them on all models being shipped out

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant really say they spit out better graphics, they have the same results, but better at staying cool because they use less power.

As Frost mentions, the new 360 units have the new 65mn Falcon GPU as well has redesigned cooling blocks. In case anyone doesn't know how to tell if the Xbox in the store is one of the new ones (just checking that it has the HDMI port won't work), here's the deal. On the back of the box, there is a barcode with a bunch of info on it. When you look at this, check to see if it says "203W" or "175W". You want the 175W unit. The new Falcon processors require less power (one of the reasons for less heating issues...more efficient=less power=less heat). What you are looking at is the rating of the power supply. If you buy one of the 175W units, be sure to check that the power brick states that it is 175W. There are a lot of folks doing a switcheroo with their old units in order to get a newer, more efficient one.

As for the 3LROD and your old units, if they are out of warranty or if they have been modded (firmware flashed DVD drive) and you're about to drop it in the garbage, send me an email. I'd like to have one or two to experiment with. Of course they will have to be cheap (I'd give you more than the trash company will give you once you dump it in the garbage :D )

hi im new and i was wondering, since i dont have a 360, could some one post a picture of the 3 rings of death? oh, and on macs there is the spinning beachball of DOOM!!!!
picture of spinning beachballof doom below.
rainbow.jpg

it keeps on spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning until you restart your computer. *play scary music*

Like I said, if a machine cant contain it's own power, or cool itself with it's own hardware, it isnt a reliable machine.

and on macs there is the spinning beachball of DOOM!!!!
dont forget the awesomeness of the blue screen of death when you upgrade to panther :cautious: easy fix but still ..

I have it also, im waiting on my shipping box to come in..this is my 2nd, soon to be my 3rd xbox. :( im gonna leave a sticky note saying " I want falcon chip "

i sent in my first one about half a month ish back... and hopefully tommorow it should be back -,- i hope this one dont need to get sent back -,- i miss assassins creed and h3 :mad:

Bah. Microsoft isn't the only perpetrator. Best Buy was accused of taking 360's that were returned, and putting them back on the shelf. They never took the time to get them fixed. Mine died the day after the Best Buy warranty. I went mad. I eventually got it fixed after about 2 months. I must say though, those 2 months brought me to the 405th. So I guess it wasn't too bad after all.

Ive only had one rrod on me. The one they returned me has been fine(knock on wood). Allthough, I do have a thing that clips on the back that has 4 extra USB port, digital audio in, vga out, hdmi out and two extra fans. Its sitting on a glass shelf by itself so hopufully itll last.

I heard a rumor that one major cause of 360 failures is that the unit is plugged into a power strip/surge protector instead of directly into the wall. I don't understand the full electrical engineering basis behind it, but in short it is said that it will cause things to run hotter and ultimately fail.

I got my first 360 this past Christmas and it gave me the three rings within the first hour out of the box. A month later I got a replacement from the repair department w/ a one month free to Xbox live pre-paid card for "my troubles" (whoopee a $4.00 coupon :cautious: ).

I bought my Xbox 360 used, from a good friend of mine.

He bought it at launch and had it up until I bought it from him a few months ago. In the time both he and I have had it, not once has it ever given the RROD. Never had any problems with it overheating or anything.

And it's an original 360 system. Got it for half of the going market price right now. Guess I was just lucky...

I thought I was lucky too Spartan II. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and it just yesterday RROD on me. I took great care of that thing, guess I'll have to really baby the next one. You better knock on wood too. Don't want to jinx yourself now do ya?

Unfortunately due to a very poor design by MS, there's not a whole lot you can do without opening the console (and voiding the warranty) to circumvent the 3-Light error from knocking on your doorstep. The exhaust fans are too slow, there's not enough intake area for ventilation, etc, etc. There are, however a couple of things that you can do to help things out.

First, keep your console horizontal! This is the #1 thing that you can do to help keep your console alive. The area that you set the console on when vertical is the only sizable area for air intake. If you set it vertically, you've just smothered your 360. Next, keep it well ventilated. Don't put it on a shelf in an entertainment cabinet and then close the glass door. The cooler you can keep the air directly around the console, the better you'll be. Lastly, if you have the space to do so, go get one of those clip-on personal fans (electric, not battery operated) and point the fan so it blows cold air into the side of the case (the area I was talking about earlier). This will give the console a good, cool and higher velocity air source to help keep the air moving.

As I mentioned earlier, there's not a whole lot you can do to keep the console cool enough to not worry about it without voiding the warranty. But those three things will help to give you a bit more piece of mind.

In an other Point of View my Situation yesterday was very funny...i readed this Tread and hoped that my Box will never show this RROD, but what comes must come anyway, after 5 Minutes my Box also makes a Red-Light-Disco.

Well, go on GOOGLE, search some Boards with the same failures, readed that many Boxes have a RROD after the PowerSupply doesnt initiate correctly, complete Shutdown (doesnt played anything on my Box for one Month and then this...rofl...) for 5 Minutes and Problem solved. :p

this is y i want a PC more then i do a X-Box 360 :cautious:

the Slim PS2 had no cooling fan PERIOD, my friend had to get a new one because he had his in a SMALL place with no room for cooling and it killed it

The only company that has been really good about cooling would be Nintendo, ive got the NES, 64, Gamecube and they have never overheated on me EVER

im gonna end this with this,

Microsoft YOU CAN DO BETTER, Your a COMPUTER company for God's Sakes!!

Klowd 13 said:
this is y i want a PC more then i do a X-Box 360 :cautious:

the Slim PS2 had no cooling fan PERIOD, my friend had to get a new one because he had his in a SMALL place with no room for cooling and it killed it

The only company that has been really good about cooling would be Nintendo, ive got the NES, 64, Gamecube and they have never overheated on me EVER
im gonna end this with this,

Microsoft YOU CAN DO BETTER, Your a COMPUTER company for God's Sakes!!

Urmh... Nintendo doesnt even really need a fan... the nintendo WII's processor is 729MHz
The Xbox 360 and the PS3 (even tough alot different processor system) both produce 3.20Ghz speeds (3200Mhz)
Think about the NES or the 64 their processor speed is somewhere around 64MHz so they barely produce any heat.
Trust me if nintendo would try to make a 3.2 GHz processor they would fail.

Besides the Microsoft Xbox is doing really well when you compare to gaming computers with liquid cooling and a huge box with ventilation... and they still overheat...
I mean the Xbox is squeezed into a tiny box creating alot of heat and still not overheating as much as you would think.

-Fin(n)ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back