S42 - Noble 6 Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

S42

Jr Member
S42 - Custom Noble 6 (WIP)

hello everybody,

I joined some days ago since I became interested in building an armor (you'd never thought of this hu? ;)). So after I read some of the threads in here, becoming really curious on if I could make it, I started my first project, a noble 6 armor.

Due to the fact that this is my very first project regarding the build of a costume / armor and with that my very first try with pepakura I'm happy with every advice you can give me for the next steps (for the first one, it is to late ;)).

With the noble 6 helmet I pepped the last days I added a little modification to the lower cheeks of the visor you might notice (... ok, I folded it the wrong way and didn't recognize till it was too late ...).

Here some pix, hopefully you can enjoy what I have done
http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/s42/noble_6/finished_noble6_helmet_1.jpg
http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/s42/noble_6/finished_noble6_helmet_2.jpg
http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/s42/noble_6/finished_noble6_helmet_3.jpg
http://www.imgbox.de/show/up/s42/noble_6/finished_noble6_helmet_4.jpg

I'm a little bit unhappy with the symmetry of the helmet, is there a way to "fix" this somehow, you might see it at the last picture?

Yeah now they work as links. Try putting them inbetween
then they will show as pics.

I did the same pep a few days ago! I think the major thing is just making sure you have all of your lines and tabs meeting at the same part top part completely even with line as opposed to just covering up the line) and ensuring the numbers and corners line up PERFECTLY. That's what killed me a couple times was the issue with lining the numbers. I thought the corners were lined up, but the numbers were minisculely off. It unbalanced it, so I took some parts apart and redid the gluing! Great job though! you can barely tell it's off, but then again, I'm looking though a computer screen!

Thanks a lot fellas.
@daxter: am I just feeling that the helmet is a little big bit arround the cheeks or is yours the same?
profilepic27577_1.gif

Thanks a lot fellas.
@daxter: am I just feeling that the helmet is a little big bit arround the cheeks or is yours the same?
profilepic27577_1.gif
When I made mine it looked about the same proportion. You could probably make it a bit smaller. But, also once padding is put inside it will raise it a little.

I have a 23" circumference head, and mine seemed fine. I could have had it be a 1/2" smaller on each side and have it still be fine once padding is in. I agree I could have scaled it a little better 0.o But I think it will work out fine in the end :)

thanks for the information. I managed to make the helmet be a little bit smaller in width (about 1") and now it looks much better to me.
But now I'm not sure if I will be able to add a 2 layered visor to it since I have to bend it a little to fit to the helmet.
You have any idea if bending the first layer makes it impossible to add the second one?

Not gonna lie, I have zlich experience when it comes to visors... But if you don't mind me asking, how did you "Manage to make it smaller?" When I looked at the finished pep model I did, I saw much permanence in it. That thing is not coming apart (I haven't seemed to come up with an irl undo button yet, but it's filed in future projects right next to the easy button ;) )

no prob about the visor, I'll just try it ;)
maybe "make it smaller" wasn't the right expression, I just glued a small paper at one site and than I pulled the other side a little closer and glued the rest. Therefore the helmet is, as said about 1" smaller in diameter.

Sorry for not bringing any updates on this, but since I managed to resin my first helmet to death I had to create another one... took me a while since I was away with business but never the less I've been able to make a better model already resined twice from the outside... update is coming soon!

Finally I managed to upload the pictures I took over the last week, with that I want to point out what I learned after my first try of making my helmet...

Printing the peps is pretty easy, after I switched to A4 the only thing I did is resize the helmet a little bit. I added 3cm to my head height to have the helmet not as big as the last one to fit better.

With my second helmet and with several of the now known glitches I started with the more difficult parts of the pep as you might see in the first pic
noble6_version2_1_t.gif

Going like that made it easier to come across since you will not get tired and being sloppy that fast, since you can make good progress after you have all the fancy little stuff build already ;)
noble6_version2_10_t.gif

Even if the second try didn't even took half as long as the first one to be finished, the result of the second helmet is much more satisfying and with much more symetry than the one before...
noble6_version2_15_t.gif
noble6_version2_12_t.gif
noble6_version2_16_t.gif

Now coming to the part that killed helmet #1... resining...
at the very first try I started with the fiberglas at the inside (i should have read all the tuts more carefully...) what caused the helm to "implode" ;) that time I was prepared a little better, first starting with a tiny layer of resin on the outside of the helmet:
noble6_version2_19_t.gif

with that I already created another failure, where I had to much resin prepared (have a look at the rest in the bowl)...
noble6_version2_22_t.gif
by now I know that it takes about 100ml of resin to cover the full outside of the noble 6 helmet.

Finishing this, I'm happy to show you the helmet with the second layer of outside resin
noble6_version2_25_t.gif
noble6_version2_26_t.gif
noble6_version2_27_t.gif

Next up: 1 layer of inside resin and after this I try the fiberglass thing again.

Looks good so far. Very clean pepping and resining. Keep up the good work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back