Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome stuff here.....look forward to seeing more! Anyway you might be willing share your that hex file. My wife has a cricut and I would love to be able to put some hex pattern on a few things.

It's been nearly a year since my last update, but I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to make progress again.

I started making the base body shape of the skirmisher out of upholstery foam.

Thighs

legs.jpg

Thighs and Torso

legsandchest.jpg

I wanted to get the base forms made so I can make size and shape adjustments to my shape. Even at to-scale, Skirmishers are wonky and unbelievably skinny, so this costume will have some added thiccness to it.

After reviewing the armor I already made, I decided to remake some parts, starting with the hand plates. I wasn't happy with the thickness of foam I used for the raised details.

(left: old; right: new)

handplates.jpg

And here they are sealed and filler primer applied with some kneepads.

handandknees.jpg

They'll need some sanding, but I'm satisfied with how they look right now.

I also started the chest armor.
The initial build was made with too thin of foam, but I'll be adding raised details and adding reinforcement where needed.

chestandtorso.jpg

Here it is on my duct tape mannequin with the back of the neck armor, which I'm going to do a sculpt over and mold instead of making all that raised detail out of foam.

torsofit.jpg

And this was my stopping point last night. I made a bicep piece out of eva foam and an elbow pad. For wearability, I might have to shorten the Skirmisher's arms so I can use them correctly. All the armor will still be to-scale, so hopefully it won't look too wonky.

armelbow.jpg

And that's my update for today!

If you want a more frequent update on this project, please go to my Instagram profile and follow me there! (see link imbed)

Cheers

Made a little more progress!

Made a slimmed down backpack support that will be holding the weight of the Skirmisher's head and the animatronics included.

1649179770702.png

The backpack straps are a power washer hose support strap and I bolted an aluminum plate to that. Then I bolted the aluminum rod that will be supporting the head to the back plate. It's super light-weight and puts no stress on my head and neck.

For the head itself, the shell has been 3d printed. Now I need to figure out how to pin it together, get a hinge working, and start getting the puppeteering aspects implemented.

1649180246089.png

As for armor, I started adding raised detail to the chest piece.

1649179946307.png

All of the detail I hand-drew and then translated onto foam. Still a bit of detail to add, but I'm really happy with how it's looking. I was initially worried that the base build was going to be too flimsy with the thickness of foam I chose, but the raised detail on top makes it so much more structurally sound, I'm not worried about it anymore.

That's all I have for now!

You're making good progress on this one. As for some ideas for animatronics. Adam Savage's tested migth have some videos that offer insight. Shame that he pulled all the raptor build ones. Those might have been really handy in this case

You're making good progress on this one. As for some ideas for animatronics. Adam Savage's tested migth have some videos that offer insight. Shame that he pulled all the raptor build ones. Those might have been really handy in this case
Fortunately, I already have a solid plan in terms of animatronics. I have another member assisting me in designing the mechanics.

I really loved Adam's raptor project, but unfortunately, all of the videos related to it have been down and have been gone for some time. I assume it's for contract reasons. I checked out the VR version of the project, but none of the information that was in the original videos were reshared. It was essentially the Mr. Pibb Lite version of Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back