Saber's Second Project- Agent Texas Style! (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey the boots look great! I like that you are switching over to foam for some of this build. It seems like foam thighs/boots would be much easier to move in.
Also the details that you put on the bottom of the boots are great! I've never seen someone add them before. Nice work.

Girl, you gotta get pics of you in this armor, the anticipation is KILLING ME XD
Can't wait for more progress!!

-Clio

You're armor looks great so far. Sorry to hear about the helmet sizing, we all have at least 1 part that we end up re-doing so doing let is get you down.:D

hey the boots look great! I like that you are switching over to foam for some of this build. It seems like foam thighs/boots would be much easier to move in.
Also the details that you put on the bottom of the boots are great! I've never seen someone add them before. Nice work.

It's is MUCH easier to move around in foam! I just wish I had known about foam before I had started this build! I would probably be done by now!
I actually saw a thread where a member HAS put the treads on the bottom of their boots before. I forget their name and where the thread was :( but I saved the picture on my phone for reference.

Girl, you gotta get pics of you in this armor, the anticipation is KILLING ME XD
Can't wait for more progress!!

-Clio

Soon enough, Clio. Soon enough. :)

You're armor looks great so far. Sorry to hear about the helmet sizing, we all have at least 1 part that we end up re-doing so doing let is get you down.:D

Thanks, Thorn! Yeah the sizing for the helmet has always been a struggle. I'm continuing to struggle even now but I'll get to that later.

But for now, PICTURES!
I managed to finish the decoration step of the boots. I'll keep the wordage short so here you go.
Better look at the treads. (Splatter!)
photo91.jpg

I added extra detail with the foamies. (Killing Frenzy!)
photo97.jpg

Three shots (Triple Kill!) of one of the boots completely painted and scratch detailed.
photo96.jpg

photo95.jpg

photo92.jpg

And one boot completed and strapped to my boot with elastic bands. (Extermination!)
photo98.jpg

The strapping is temporary as of right now. I hope to get some Earth Magnets to get the thing pieced together. I also have to go and buy a plunger for the section in between the main portion of the boot and the toe.

And now for the 25 levels of Hell. (Dun Dun DUN!)
photo94.jpg

I measured and remeasured my head multiple times and when I was ready to put the calculations on my computer I realized that with the added space that I gave myself for padding and extra room, my head was only half a centimeter shorter than the original scale of the pep. I have a freakin' huge head! :O
So I just left the scale as it is and gave myself an extra half centimeter of space and just printed it out.
I have three pages down (the opening to the helmet and the both sides of the jaw) and I have been very careful and deliberate about piecing this together. It took two hours just to get those three pages cut and glued together because I've been so careful! But as I looked at it this morning, I had an eerie feeling that this helmet may be the same size as the helmet I just previously made.
So I took the two and made them stand side by side. Maybe it's just paranoia but I think they may be the same size. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down the measurements that I used for my helmet last time so I can't compare sizing. The newly pepped portion's jaw is taller than the finished one but I don't know if that's just because it's not starting to sag as of yet or if it's genuinely larger than the finished helmet. I have only three clean pieces of cardstock left and no money so I'd rather catch this ahead of time if it turns out to be too small.
What do you guys think?!
photo93.jpg

The angle of the camera and my arm might take away from the photo, but this is the best shot I could take. This helmet is scaring me already. *whimpers*
Should I just toss it right now and scale it larger? Or should I continue on it and see if it truly is larger?
I am not going to work on it anymore until I've made a decision about how big it is.

Comments, critique, and any other input is thoroughly appreciated!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

OOOO I love the boots so much more! It doesn't even look like foam, great job!

And in terms of the helmet, I had the same issue with my chest piece - (forgetting the scale and then having to remake it via guessing.)

Quick question in terms of scaling goes, is the new helmet that you are making the same model as the old helmet? I know that there are several different versions of the mark 6 helm, and this would cause a difference in the scale of the two.

In terms of scaling it is hard to tell at this point, but what height did you scale your new one at? I did a lot of research before making my helmet, and it seemed that the general consensus for helmet sizing was between 260mm and 280mm for the height. The average, most commonly used height is 265 mm high for almost all mark 6 helmets. -- I scaled mine at 265 mm (tall) and I'd say that I have an average size head, and the fitting is pretty much perfect.

Thanks for your support!

I've been working with the same helmet from day 1 (all the way back to my MC build) and I've been using the HD Helm by Flying_Squirl.
I printed this new one at 265mm which is the default sizing it was set at. But seeing that I have a larger head than most people, I don't know if this will be large enough. I guess to be sure, I should pep a little more. But since I don't have enough cardstock to build two helmets, maybe I should just size it a bit larger and use the back sides of the cardstock I already printed on.
I'm torn to say the least. :(

-Alexis

I used 265 mm for mine which fits me well but I find that most people (my brother, dad, and maybe sister) can't fit it. Maybe try going with 270mm or 275mm. I'd favor 270mm but I don't know how big your head is. Lol

I know I have a larger head, haha
Rex was kind enough to donate helmet padding to the cause and I had to send him the diameter of my head in order to know what size padding I fit and my head fits an extra large sized helmet.

So now that I think about it, I think I'll just scrap what I've done and resize the helmet to be another cm larger.
Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Thanks you guys for your support! I'll have more pics soon!

-Alexis

I think that sounds like a good idea because of the lack of cardstock. At least you didn't figure this all out when you were totally done pepping the helmet!

I was lucky when I printed this one out. I used the last of my cardstock, I have none left. If I had continued pepping and then decided to reprint it, I would've been out of luck.

-Alexis

You know.. You'd be surprised how big of a difference even adding 5mm is when you are building a pepakura model. It's kind of amazing. Good luck on this next helmet! :D

You know.. You'd be surprised how big of a difference even adding 5mm is when you are building a pepakura model. It's kind of amazing. Good luck on this next helmet! :D

Oh, I believe it! My shins for my MC suit were off by just 5mm and it caused some minor discomfort when I wore them out in public.

Looking really good!
Boots are coming together great.
Nice progress :)

Dave/Cereal

Thanks, Cereal! :D
It feels so great to hear that from you! I've always admired your work!

-Alexis

Hey guys and gals!
Not a big update, but a crap load of pictures!
For the pasts few days, I've been slowly and meticulously pepping my third helmet. (file by Flying_Squirl)
I'm still not quite done, but I hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend.
I sized it up to 275mm which is 10mm taller than the original file size and I soon realized it's the same size as my MC helmet from my first build.
Now onto pics!

Here's what I got done last night and this morning.
photo110.jpg

photo109.jpg

photo100.jpg

photo99.jpg

And here is the pep next to my most recent attempt at a helm.
As you can see, it is much bigger than the finished helmet.

photo108.jpg

photo107.jpg

photo106.jpg

A little bit of the brim added around lunch time.
photo101.jpg

And here's what I slowly got done today and this evening.
photo105.jpg

photo104.jpg

photo103.jpg

photo102.jpg

I gotta admit, this is the cleanest pep I've done as of yet! Let's just hope I don't screw this one up! *knocks on wood*
That's what I've got for today!
Comments and Critique gratefully accepted!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Hey it looks great! I hope that the fit still turns out alright, the pep is REALLY clean though and it looks great.

Thanks, Anna!
I don't think I've ever worked so hard on a pep before so I'm glad it's so clean!
The back portion with the "AI chip slot" has always been a struggle for me and I'm glad it turned out pretty much perfect!

-Alexis

I think that resizing was the right choice. 5mm too big is far better than 5mm too small.

Pepping looks perfect so far, well done. Also, great job on the boots. I love the treads. It's too bad most people who see your suit will never notice the treads, but it is the little extras things that help make your suit one of the better ones around. Congrats, and good luck with the rest!

Nessy:
I agree. And of course people will see my treads! I'll be sure to roundhouse kick everyone I meet! haha :p

Finished Bucket Pep
photo117.jpg

photo116.jpg

photo115.jpg

photo114.jpg

photo111.jpg

Right thigh has been templated on foam and cut out.
photo101-1.jpg

I made better and permanent strapping for the COD piece using Dog collars from the Dollar Tree. It's cheap and does the trick!
photo113.jpg

photo112.jpg

It doesn't show in the pics but I also shortened the cup portion of the COD piece seeing it was a little large.

That's what I got for today (For now. I might finish Right thigh later)
Please comment and critique! It's always welcome!

Stay Frosty, 405thers!
-Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back