Sangheili ranger build (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought about making a full size elite costume so I'm very curious on how you work some hard things out. What are you going to use for the skin? It's hard to find something that has the specific colour and leathery texture. I subscribed to the thread so I'll be looking out for your progress:p Best of luck!

Your stilts look great so far, looking forward to seeing your progress on this build!
I've been thinking about doing a Ranger myself, but I figured it'd be a better idea to start with a spartan so I know what I'm doing.. Anyway! Good luck~

Looks great, man. I was just drawing up designs for this same idea and thought I'd take a look through the forums to see if anyone else beat me to it. Looks like you did, and you improved upon what I was coming up with. Bungie-cord "muscles" > inflexible brace. Best of luck to you sir, I'm going to be doing an Ultra build at some point and hope to use your build here as a guide.

EDIT: Have you looked into ways to get the elite hand working? I have some unrefined plans for a glove that has the second thumb mirror the movements of my actual thumb...

I'm so happy about this thread! That way when I build my elite,(I had been planning it for a while...) I'll have something to reference to! Thank you Satchmo!

I noticed that rock also (moreso when I played back the video than when I was walking around). I'm kind of okay with the rocking but am considering curving the bottom up somewhat to allow for more of a roll-step (I think this will allow for a more fluid, natural walking style). My concern with adding more (flat) inches to the back is that I don't want the walk to start getting too cloddy or Frankenstein-ish.

To eliminate the "rock" you need to play with the distance between the front of the rig and your foot. You want to make your center of gravity positioned so that your weight is distributed straight down from your hip to the floor. It is tough to do and usually takes a little trial and error because we all have a little different weight distribution. A good rule of thumb is that your heel should end up almost directly below your hip. Obviously that means your Knees will have to remain slightly bent so the fatigue will be an issue the longer you wear the rig.

As a lot of people have referenced the Underworld rig may give you ideas. Check out the video if you haven't already.

Absolutely incredible! For the skin you should look into the way the Predator cosplay guys do it.

http://www.thehunterslair.com

Keep up the good work! I've subscribed to all of you're threads as they set a very high standard to try and attain. Key word here is try! Elite for your Elite!

I know this sounds like a broken record, but this looks amazing! Come on we need to know what progress you have made, please?

I love how anything to do with sangheli's instantly gets 3 pages of comments. I will only try to tackle such a task after I move to a house with a workshop, as building something that big in the house will really annoy my parents.

UPDATE #1 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

01) Assembled helmet pepakura

UPDATE #1 PROGRESS DETAIL...

Following the hiatus since the ankle construction, yesterday (Saturday, October 29) I put together the paper for the helmet model. It went together pretty well although it took a little longer than I thought it would (though, I started playing Reach with my brother half way through so was only working on it between rounds (and sometimes during rounds (sorry if anyone was played with an AFK Satchmo III))).

2A.jpg

I will be moving to build the torso next so I will have it to scale other parts from. I think the helmet scaling might be on the small side so may rebuild it later.

Thanks everyone for your interest and support. I will be out of town for a wedding next weekend but hope to get this project cooking soon. Hope everyone had a great HALOween weekend! Keep building, Nobles!

UPDATE #1 POST RESPONSES...

Love the stilts. My friend and I are going for a similar build. Will definitely be incorporating some of your ideas. But yeah, keep up the awesome work and can't wait to see some more results!

Thanks. Good luck to you and your friend, looking forward to seeing what you're able to achieve.

My friends Mike and Ron used a similar setup for the stilts when they made their Underworld Lycan costumes. They used hockey skates, and mounted the angled "ankle" or whatever where the blade would be in the skate. It worked out well for them, other than always having tired legs. Your support system should help with that.

I definitely think the bungie cords help but there is still some effort involved. At some point I'll start wearing the stilts around the apartment more often to build up the involved leg muscles.

If this dont get in the elite im going to kick myself

If this elite doesn't get in elite can you kick me while you're at it? Im gonna be too busy figuring out where my jaw went. . .

Thank you for the vote of confidence, guys. There's a long way to go to complete the project though, and breaking the Elite section wall isn't a top priority for me.

I've always thought about making a full size elite costume so I'm very curious on how you work some hard things out. What are you going to use for the skin? It's hard to find something that has the specific colour and leathery texture. I subscribed to the thread so I'll be looking out for your progress:p Best of luck!

Thank you for the well-wish. From what I can tell, the ranger's only exposed flesh is in the hands and feet. The under-suit will be fun to make.

Eliteception?

An Elite with an Elite? Watch the spinning plasma grenade?

Your stilts look great so far, looking forward to seeing your progress on this build!
I've been thinking about doing a Ranger myself, but I figured it'd be a better idea to start with a spartan so I know what I'm doing.. Anyway! Good luck~

Thanks, Kiriku. There are a lot of options for Spartan suits. Good luck with whatever project you decide on, looking forward to seeing it.

he can get some fabric that looks kinda like a ruff leather that might work

Vinyl? That's a good idea but that stuff tends to peel after a while.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll have to investigate this a bit.

Looks great, man. I was just drawing up designs for this same idea and thought I'd take a look through the forums to see if anyone else beat me to it. Looks like you did, and you improved upon what I was coming up with. Bungie-cord "muscles" > inflexible brace. Best of luck to you sir, I'm going to be doing an Ultra build at some point and hope to use your build here as a guide.

EDIT: Have you looked into ways to get the elite hand working? I have some unrefined plans for a glove that has the second thumb mirror the movements of my actual thumb...

I'm so happy about this thread! That way when I build my elite,(I had been planning it for a while...) I'll have something to reference to! Thank you Satchmo!

I'm glad to be able to throw some ideas out there for others to use. Hope to see your guys' work in the future!

To eliminate the "rock" you need to play with the distance between the front of the rig and your foot. You want to make your center of gravity positioned so that your weight is distributed straight down from your hip to the floor. It is tough to do and usually takes a little trial and error because we all have a little different weight distribution. A good rule of thumb is that your heel should end up almost directly below your hip. Obviously that means your Knees will have to remain slightly bent so the fatigue will be an issue the longer you wear the rig.

As a lot of people have referenced the Underworld rig may give you ideas. Check out the video if you haven't already.

I'm with you on working with the center of gravity. It's something I'll be messing with. I haven't seen the Underworld video.

Hey Satchmo, any progress on this?!

Just a bit. Hopefully more to come.

Absolutely incredible! For the skin you should look into the way the Predator cosplay guys do it.

http://www.thehunterslair.com

Keep up the good work! I've subscribed to all of you're threads as they set a very high standard to try and attain. Key word here is try! Elite for your Elite!

Those guys do some good work. I wonder if someone over there has tackled the mandible jaw in a realistic fashion (I think the Predator and Sangheili share a common ancestor).

I know this sounds like a broken record, but this looks amazing! Come on we need to know what progress you have made, please?

No probs...see beginning of post.

I love how anything to do with sangheli's instantly gets 3 pages of comments. I will only try to tackle such a task after I move to a house with a workshop, as building something that big in the house will really annoy my parents.

All the best when you hit it.

I've had this idea in mind for quite a long time, so its great to see it in action. So, with it's current setup, how far can you walk before you'r legs give out? I would say adding anouther pivot point just below the ankle, going up to the back of the thigh would relieve the stress on you'r knee, I just dont quite know if the current rig would be able to take that amount of stress. As for the bungi cords, are they getting very much wear where they join up to the ankle? I could immagine that they could snap if that piece on the ankle wears on them.

Here with my 2 cents (yes i'm that broke)-
-Gryphon

I have been thinking myself a Ranger, but I think it would be a better idea began with Sparta, so I know what I'm doing.

THEE MOST exciting thread dive seen all year. ive seen some amazing builds...but this matches my exact build hopes. i will be watching this thread soo closely....maybe even too closely.

man this is good, what are you planning to do for the visor that is a really wierd shape for a visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back