sculpting clay

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would be some type of polymer clay. Something that doesn't dry out...but that's my guess. Never really sculpted with clay before.

the reason I want clay is so that I can change it as I need and be able to carve in as much detail as I desire. best option I have until I can afford an expensive 3d printer and the knowledge to use it

make sure it is sulfer free if you are going to use it to make a mold. Most all of your various rubbers will not cure against anything containing sulfer

thanks, now all I have to do is figure out brands of clay that are inexpensive and have these qualities.

Most people use silicone for molds, then either clay on top of it or fiberglass to make a 'mother mold' just to keep the silicone from warping.

Although I'm not sure why are you asking about molding. You need to have something finished in order to mold and cast it...

Most people use silicone for molds, then either clay on top of it or fiberglass to make a 'mother mold' just to keep the silicone from warping.

Although I'm not sure why are you asking about molding. You need to have something finished in order to mold and cast it...
I want to do something the old fashioned way by taking a large block and turning it into what I want

It's actually fairly trivial to -run- a 3D printer. There are quite a bit of files out there that just need sliced up in order to fit on a print bed, but would be OK as is. There are modelers that wouldn't agree, but that's what I think.
the reason I want clay is so that I can change it as I need and be able to carve in as much detail as I desire. best option I have until I can afford an expensive 3d printer and the knowledge to use it

Oh ok. By mentioning 'mold' I thought you wanted to mold and cast something, not sculpt.

It's actually fairly trivial to -run- a 3D printer. There are quite a bit of files out there that just need sliced up in order to fit on a print bed, but would be OK as is. There are modelers that wouldn't agree, but that's what I think.
I do like 3d prints however not knowing how to use one properly and not being able to afford one at the moment makes it difficult, one advantage with carving clay by hand is all the finishing and detailing are done

I highly recommend a sulfur free plasticine instead of clay.
Clay is water based and will dry out and crack over time unless properly sealed. (I'm also assuming your talking about the kind of clay that come from the ground)
Plasticine is oil based so it not going to dry out, so you can leave it out for days with out worry,

I'm interested in what you are planing on sculpting
maybe able to give you a better staring point

thanks I will try and find this stuff, do you know any brand names for it? and I am going to sculpt out the teishen raikou helmet and a few other things

I buy almost all my stuff from "Sculpture Supply" (they also sell silicones for mold making as well as plastic for casting)
link to Plasticine http://www.sculpturesupply.com/list.php?offset=0&sf=category&vl=Modeling+Materials
they sell green or brown, I find the green is just a little harder. they sell 3 different hardness (soft, med, hard,) I recommend soft or med. (I mostly use med)
as for sculpting it I recommend buying or making a form to sculpt on top of even if its just a foam head, saves on material. then I would make a stand witch can be as simple as a stick of dowel shoved up the foam head and set in a bench clamp.

that all I can think of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back