TurboCharizard

Division PR, RXO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S068
I can't wait to see the shots of this suit out in the wild and in action!

It's Update Time!

...7 weeks and 4 days lay-turrrr...

Auto Blaster Bottom Angle.png
Auto Blaster Front.png
Auto Blaster Side View.png
Auto Blaster Top Angle.png

THE AUTO BLASTER IS DONE!

But it's far from over. As of right now, I've created enough space for me to get the parts to pop out as shown below.
Auto Blaster Pop Out Bottom View.png
Auto Blaster Pop Out Side View.png
Auto Blaster Pop Out Top View.png

However, the final part of the process of this prop, the mechanics of how to get it to work, is currently in the making. I am currently in talks with a machinist, who studied at the University of Alabama, about making a system to make this idea into a reality.
So the plan is to make this pop out in the same fashion as it does on the first episode of Carranger. Red Racer pulls the fin back and in turn makes the "engine" move forward. The side panels pop out and the turbine spins in the process. Of course, I will have to insert the LED to make it light up, but will focus on that when the mechanic system is done.

To get a better idea on how it's suppose to turn out, simply go to the Shout Factory website and look for Engine Sentai Carranger Episode 1 after the 17 minute mark to see where I'm going with this.

That's all for now! Until next time!

Last edited:

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RXO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S068
Apologies for using you render (it looks amazing by the way) but something simple like this may work to give the movement you want.
image845.png
Grey blocks are just for extensions of the parts you need, blue rectangles are linkages that interconnect and the yellow circle is a pin the the center linkage rotates about. I'm not sure if your modelling software is good for simulating motion of parts but with the work we've seen you pull off I'm sure you can chunk through a problem like this.

It's Update Time!

...7 weeks and 4 days lay-turrrr...

View attachment 302652 View attachment 302653 View attachment 302654 View attachment 302655

THE AUTO BLASTER IS DONE!

But it's far from over. As of right now, I've created enough space for me to get the parts to pop out as shown below.
View attachment 302656 View attachment 302657 View attachment 302658
However, the final part of the process of this prop, the mechanics of how to get it to work is currently in the making. I am currently in talks with a machinist, who studied at the University of Alabama, about making a system to make this idea into a reality.
So the plan is to make this pop out in the same fashion as it does on the first episode of Carranger. Red Racer pulls the fin back and in turn makes the "engine" move forward. The side panels pop out and the turbine spins in the process. Of course, I will have to insert the LED to make it light up, but will focus on that when the mechanic system is done.

To get a better idea on how it's suppose to turn out, simply go to the Shout Factory website and look for Engine Sentai Carranger Episode 1 after the 17 minute mark to see where I'm going with this.

That's all for now! Until next time!
Apologies for using you render (it looks amazing by the way) but something simple like this may work to give the movement you want.
View attachment 302659
Grey blocks are just for extensions of the parts you need, blue rectangles are linkages that interconnect and the yellow circle is a pin the the center linkage rotates about. I'm not sure if your modelling software is good for simulating motion of parts but with the work we've seen you pull off I'm sure you can chunk through a problem like this.
Very funny that you demonstrated that idea in the picture. I was searching on how to make it open for days after the machinist told me on how to get it to work. He was the one to introduce me to movable cams and I looked on like on how to make it work on this prop. None that I've seen were possible because of the location and all the extra moving parts to get it going. That's when I came across this a week and a half ago.

5eaca5725819d88bab435dedea2da400 Copy.png

The mechanism encircled in red is the ONLY way I can make that possible. It's an ideal mechanism to open up the engine, but need to ensure that the panels open up at the same time. I will need to at least find the name of the mechanism so I can get a better idea to involve it as part of the design.

I was thinking about using Blender to create an animation simulation of the prop. So I will keep in mind as demonstration for advertisement when I go into mass production. But hey, if you have an idea on making it work, have it!

TurboCharizard

Division PR, RXO and BCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S068
Very funny that you demonstrated that idea in the picture. I was searching on how to make it open for days after the machinist told me on how to get it to work. He was the one to introduce me to movable cams and I looked on like on how to make it work on this prop. None that I've seen were possible because of the location and all the extra moving parts to get it going. That's when I came across this a week and a half ago.

View attachment 302754
The mechanism encircled in red is the ONLY way I can make that possible. It's an ideal mechanism to open up the engine, but need to ensure that the panels open up at the same time. I will need to at least find the name of the mechanism so I can get a better idea to involve it as part of the design.

I was thinking about using Blender to create an animation simulation of the prop. So I will keep in mind as demonstration for advertisement when I go into mass production. But hey, if you have an idea on making it work, have it!
Depending on how far it needs to go you could have a spring in tension holding the two halves shut and when you pull pack the central linkange presses forward into a wedge on another set in an arrangement similar to the one in the top left. That would make it reset back into place and when you pull back on the rear it extends the forward arm and presses the two side panels out simultaneously. Assembly of pieces might be a bit messy with so many parts in such a small space but everything is fairly simple.

Depending on how far it needs to go you could have a spring in tension holding the two halves shut and when you pull pack the central linkange presses forward into a wedge on another set in an arrangement similar to the one in the top left. That would make it reset back into place and when you pull back on the rear it extends the forward arm and presses the two side panels out simultaneously. Assembly of pieces might be a bit messy with so many parts in such a small space but everything is fairly simple.
I went searching online after reading your post and there was this 1 word that reached out to me, linkage. So after 20 minutes of searching, I finally found the mechanism I was looking for. Reverse Linkage Motion. That is what the Z mechanism is called. Here's an example of it.

It starts at the 1 minute and 20 second mark.

Now, all I have to do is to go back and apply it into the design. Once confirmed by the machinist, I can get to work on it and that will pretty much solves that issue!

Update Time! So It's been 3 and a half weeks since the last posting and I've been racking my brain trying to solve 1 issue to the prop before I send it to have the screw threads installed. I searched online for any possible ways to make that happen. I couldn't use the sliding half cam idea anymore because I came across another issue. How will the bottom lower panel stay in place when its lowered? That's when I came across another video that could provide an answer.

This is an example of an umbrella mechanism. As it pushes it forward, it pops 2 of the arms together while being pushed by the other part.

Now I combined the reverse motion linkage to the umbrella mechanism, then I get this result.

2021-03-05 00_09_55-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Carranger ...png

2021-03-05 00_11_28-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Carranger ...png

Now, looking back at it, it could work in theory. However, the true question is this. If I pull the back part backwards, what's forcing the green part to move forward? Sure, I can make this happen in the confines of 3d space, but in reality, I am missing something crucial here. I'll try to look at some more videos to find my answers.

In a dream last night, I was working with a group that was working on a 3d print of Star Wars' Death Star and wind up becoming a Sarrus Linkage instead...

Any whooooooooooo, it's update time! Yeah, it's an odd way to start this post, but here's the reason why. For the past two weeks, I've been racking my brain trying to solve 2 issues. The first issue was to find a way in pull it back while pushing the other part forward. I finally found it.

Take a look at this picture.

2021-03-19 09_30_26-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Carranger ...png

This is a dual rack and pinion. Here's how it works. The blue and green parts are racks that allow the pinion(the white gear) to move. As the blue rack pulls back, it turns the pinion counter-clockwise, and uses that motion to push the green rack forward at the same time. When this prop is finished, I may provide an animation on how that part works. The biggest and final challenge is making the front panels pop out. The problem with the panels is two fold. The first one is making the upper front panel to work by raising it upwards. If I can solve that issue, that part will be done. The second part of the challenge is that if I push the panel with the engine, the bottom part will fall off without something holding it in place. If I can find a way to release and draw in the bottom panel, this prop will be complete. I will be working on this for the remainder of the day and if I come across to any results, I'll post them here.

Until next time, talk to you later!

Update Time! So after trying to figure out the issue with the mechanism for days at time, I realized that the answer was already underneath my nose the whole time! Allow me to explain.

2021-03-29 07_57_16-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Mechanic_T...png

This is a Scott Russell linkage. This 2 century plus old mechanism works by creating vertical movement through a sliding motion. Like this!

2021-03-29 08_55_07-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Mechanic_T...png

Now, you maybe thinking, "Okay so how are you going to make it work in the prop?" So glad you asked. Sort of speak. After taking a look at the situation, I combined both the dual rack and pinion mechanism and the Scott Russell linkage with a few modifications. This is the end result.

2021-03-29 09_07_04-Blender_ [O__Cosplay Folder_Super Sentai_Carranger_Auto Blaster_Mechanic_T...png

When I modified it, in theory, I was hoping that it would work as exactly as the other image showed when extended. So over the weekend, I fired up the 3d printer and tested it out. Here's a video of my results.

With this demonstration, I have successfully reversed engineered THIS part of the mechanics for the prop. Now, there is still one more part I need to get over and that is a lot easier than trying to crack the mechanical part of the prop. As I mentioned before, the prop has 3 functions I am trying to replicate. First one is that it has to pop out as it pulls. That part is done. The second part is that it has to light up. That is also easy, but I also have to consider the fact that enough wiring has to be considered because the movement process of the prop. If I make it too short, it might pull the circuit apart. Finally, the prop has to spin at a certain point. I will have to modify a DC motor like this.

Now, I would like to go into the actual next phase in the plan after this which involves screw threads for the prop. However, I will have to move it into a different program, FreeCAD. FreeCAD is another open source 3d modeling program, but it's more focused CAD design. I'm two steps away from having a working prop for the costume and if I really put my nose to the grind, I could have it ready for testing by early May.

I'll post for another update later this week if I can. Until next time, talk to you later!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.