Shift Into Turbo! A Power Ranger/Carranger Log (Red Racer)

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by 3DVagabond, Oct 8, 2018.

1. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

Hello and thank you for taking time to wonder into this thread. As a fan of both the Power Ranger and Super Sentai Franchises, I've always wanted to create and own one of my own. Over the years, I've seen plenty of Con Attendees cosplay as characters from Mighty Morphin/Zyuranger series. As much as I enjoyed the costumes seen in my home town, it's been done to death! Anyway, this thread will chronicle, for the time being, the creation of the Red Turbo Ranger that was played by Jason David Frank and Selwyn Ward respectively. I have dreams of pushing the design as far as I can without messing with the aesthetics of the original helmet.

Now, the true reason for the creation of this helmet is because the cost of actually buying one is really expensive. Especially if the cost of one helmet will force you to cut back on to only eat for one week out of the month. Pay rate and all of that. More importantly, I've been trying to challenge myself to create something that could develop into a skill if things goes according to plan. After immersing myself into 3d space on my computer for the past 9 years, this will be my personal redemption for the failure of the last costume that was doomed from its conception.

Anyway, with the tempered skills I've learned and developed using open source program, Blender, here's the start of what I created of the Red Racer Helmet. I want to try to get the detail as accurate as possible so that in the future, I could 3d print it for structural integrity. After wards, I can used what I learned from the last costume and apply it here.

Any feed back is welcome as it would help morph (no pun intended) into a true replica into the fandom.

Red Racer WIP 10_8_2018 9_59 PM.png

Red Racer WIP 2 10_8_2018 9_59 PM.png

2. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

Chasing after perfection is difficult at times. After spending nearly 12 hours working on this helmet, it's almost done. With all of the images that are available, at a high enough quality, I really had to think about how to approach the evolution of this helmet.

Red Racer WIP 3 10_9_2018 9_12 PM.png

Red Racer WIP 3 10_9_2018 9_13 PM.png

Lieutenant Jaku and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  3. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

Today was a true challenge into getting the helmet as accurate to the show as possible! It felt as if the closer I was getting this model done, the more imperfections showed up. After working on this model for 48 hours and 38 minutes as of tonight. I've gotten as close as I could as far as detailing this "royal jewel". I will have to rest for a day while I try to get some more inspiration upon the next step. Unfortunately, I won't be able to print this out unless I actually get the printer. That alone will take some time. I have my eyes set one a printer that I wanted, so I will start saving up towards that. As far as a costume as a whole, I will have to learn another skill, sewing and making patterns. I want to try to get as close to a screen accurate costume as well. I'll come back on a later date to show the progress being made.

Red Racer WIP 4 10_11_2018 10_57 PM.png

Red Racer WIP 4 10_11_2018 10_58 PM.png

Red Racer WIP 4 10_11_2018 11_34 PM.png

4. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

I had to transverse all over the web to get more information upon making the costume. So during the time I made this helmet, this is what I found as part of the outfit. Please keep in mind that this is the costs of the items of materials as of October 23, 2018.

In order to create your outfit you will have to get some material. The most common material for that was used for the Power Rangers series is shiny lycra spandex. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find it at your local fabric shop. Call in and ask around for prices to gauge how much you are going to need. The standard rate is normally 7.00 per yard as of 2018. (It might wind up being more or less.)

Next are the gloves. When it comes to this accessory, I found out that in order to get a spot on accuracy for the suit, all costumes uses Cacazan Gloves. There's only one way to obtain them and that's through and online purchase.
    The cost for a pair of long gloves are:

105.10 For Long Cacazan Gloves
    86.00 For Short Cacazan Gloves
    30.00 for Leather Gauntlet Gloves White Medium Long Arm Cuff

For majority of the costumes, white gloves are the standard, but they also come in different colors.

For the boots, the only thing that comes close to being screen accurate are Funtasma Men's Captain-100/W/PU Boots. They come in different colors and sizes. However, this is one of those online exclusive items that you will not find in stores unless the store orders it for you. At minimum, you can get it for 44.95 before shipping and handling.

As part of the gloves and boots, you have boot cuffs and glove cuffs. They are normally created in leather, but where leather exists, pleather(artificial leather) can work just as well if you're trying for the vegan option. Once again, ask around for pricing, but they are not that expensive. Like the Spandex, they normally start off from 7.80 per yard. But you will have to catch it while in stock. As a suggestion, you would want to get the texture of the material as smooth as possible.

As of right now, this is the basics of creating a Power Ranger/Super Sentai costume. On the next posting, I will try and uncover the final thing needed to finish the fabric section of the out fit, the pattern design!

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  5. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

I was going around the Internet trying to find some answers on making a pattern for the costume. I found a couple of videos making making the actual costume, but I have not found any thing on actual pattern design. I'll keep looking for a tutorial or some sort of idea of making it digitally. Meanwhile, I was able to add on the one final and essential part of of the helmet. Like with all of the Power Ranger and Super Sentai helmets, you want to make sure that each side is aligned properly. In order to make sure that it happens every time all the time, you need extra aligned tabs called register keys. When the helmet, like this, is made, it's then cut in half in order to put the helmet on. However, in order to keep it on for a seamless look, the hardened tabs a.k.a register keys are needed.

Normally, the register keys would be hardened pieces of fiberglass. With the tabs that I set up on the side of the helmet, since the helmet is going to be 3d printed, this set up will ensure that the tabs will align with the other half of the helmet that contain the slot for the tab to go into.

Let me know what you think about the idea. If there's anyone who knows how to digitally create costume patterns, drop a line and I will check out the idea.

Red Racer WIP 5 11_16_2018 07_35 PM.png

6. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

The fun thing about fabric costumes with stretchy materials is that you can design patterns as a one size fits many but your best off making a true fit to your body with a duct tape pattern. Using this method guarantees a tighter fit and less sagging or loose fit around joints like elbows and knees. Also drawing on patterns such as the chevrons and lines that are on a Super Sentai suit will be hard to predict how they look when stretched to fit your body so saving yourself some stress is usually a good call before venturing forward with a sewing machine.

Digitizing your patterns afterwards is a good option though so that you can use them again later or share with other folks that are looking to follow in your footsteps.

7. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond New Member

Interesting! The only problem about that idea is getting the friends around to assist me. I will definitely keep that in mind.