Short Film Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siege

Hi everyone! This is my first post, so here's a little background information first. Name is Travis. I am finishing up my last year of college. Lived in Thailand for almost a year in 2006. Currently live in South Georgia (no accent, though). I also just recently started making local commercials and short films, which is what brings me here now.

I'm beginning work on a fan film of sorts based on Penny-Arcade's "Automata" comics. One of the main characters is a robot with a faceplate:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/uploads/2009/06/12/auto_big.jpg

He's on the far left, if you don't see him. :) I got a friend of mine to make me a 3d model based on some concept art I got for the character, but it's a little messy and I'm having trouble creating it into an actual papercraft model. Is there anyone that would be willing to help me clean the 3d model up a bit or at least take a look at it? I'd really appreciate it.

One of my main concerns/questions is that the model is made with some depth to it, but that's causing me alot of issues as far as construction. Would it be better to leave it as one layer, then, after fiberglass reinforcement, use bondo to give it its density? Here's a picture of my friend wearing the first version I made. This is essentially the version I'm talking about just reinforcing then sculpting with bondo.

http://www.siege.fiftycal.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Photo0224.jpg

(This version is slightly smaller than the final scale I settled on)

If anyone's interested in giving me advice/helping, PM me so we can exchange e-mails.

Cheers,

Siege

If you had time and money you could try to use the cast-clay method.
It would give the model a nice shape and you could add many small details that can improve its realism.
The paper version you made seems a bit fragile.
Maybe you could use hard cardboard...
Don't know...
Good luck with your project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back