Sithslayer's Odst Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering what the padding in the helmet is made of? And can I get some better shots of the inside please? :)

Its winter, and with SATs ACTs to study for, I don't have too much time to work on My ODST. I'm getting things attached, and my friend and I are working on a second project. We are making Two ODST helmets, since my Previous Helmet was kinda sub-Par. The Peps are Going to be a combination (maybe Franken-Pep?) of the "MED-Def" and "Ral Partha" Rundown ODST Unfolds. (top is MED-Def)

PepLayout.jpg

We plan to pull out all the stops on these. Including:

1. Full Night Vision Based On Kipkay's Video HERE(But not exact)
  2. Moulding at least one of them for casting
  3. Better visors
  4. LED flashlights

Meleck said:
Sith, what are those gloves? While I just have to have Sean's ODST gloves, I'd also like to have gloves that are closer to the gloves worn by the ODSTs in Halo 3. These look pretty good.

They are typical 25 dollar black paintball gloves that were drybrushed in the following sequence. (With Citadel Paint References)

Med-Dark Grey (GW Codex Grey)

Silver (GW Chainmail)

Tin, Rust,(GW Tin Bitz)

They are then given a panel line wash and coated for protection.

ba2808 said:
hey sith how did you make your shoulder pieces stay together?

Untitled-1copy-1.jpg

Heres my shoulder configuration. I used a strap system to keep the shoulders together on my arm, then held them up by strapping them to a "strap-Necklace" they stay pretty non-shifty, and although they're a bit small now, it still works. PS: YOU NEED A SAFETY BUCKLE ON THE NECK SUSPENDER!!! If the shoulders should become caught, or too heavy, you may be strangled. to prevent this, I put a buckle there that I can release so I don't choke and die.

Altair651 said:
I was just wondering what the padding in the helmet is made of? And can I get some better shots of the inside please? :)

There are good shots on the inside of the helmet on the first page. the padding is made of cushioning foam, memory foam, whatever. they are then covered in olive drab cloth held on by hot glue. I cut the padding shapes out, then covered them, and then proceeded to hot glue them within the helmet. If your having a hard time cutting it, try to use a mini saw to cut it. heres a "2D" diagram of my padding scheme.

Shoulderconfig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey man first of all your ODST armor rocks!

I am working on mine and saw your visor

it looks pretty good and I saw it was cheap too :p

can u tell me what u used for it?

thanks allready and succes with the rest of your armor!

Grtz

Bram76 said:
I am working on mine and saw your visor

it looks pretty good and I saw it was cheap too :p

can u tell me what u used for it?

Thanks a lot for the compliment! For the visor of my first helmet, I used these two items.

81441016_a3765dfd2b_o.jpg

G88355-rgh-Sun-Visor.jpg

I stumbled upon them both by chance in Chinatown, Philadelphia and bought them both for about 3 bucks each. I then used the template from this thread (3 posts down)http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18898&st=60 to cut out the shape I used it cut the top and bottom portions of the visor, respectively and hot glued them in. However, For my second helmet, im using an iridium blue Lexan motorcycle visor and using Sigma's tutorial (if i can find it) to cut and bend it into shape. I plan on using the remnants from the second visor for my eventual Marine helmet sunglasses so i can extend and retract them at will. Overall, pretty nifty visors!

do u know where i can buy these products?

site or something

Or do u know what they are called because I am looking too buy them but cant find them on the internet.

U just used the first one for your ODST helmet right?

Bram76 said:
do u know where i can buy these products?

site or something

Or do u know what they are called because I am looking too buy them but cant find them on the internet.

U just used the first one for your ODST helmet right?

Ebay is a great place to look. They are called Sun Visors. Just do a search and they should pop up. And you might try an asian market because apparently they are very popular with that crowd. lol Plus I heard they are alot cheaper there too.

Oh and Slayer your build is pretty awesome. I really dug the "iGauntlet" Good luck on the your next Helmet. As for the "Frankin-helmet" are you going to edit the 3D models or cut two different peps and put them together?

I ask cause I found its alot easier to edit the pep. That is what I ended up doing on my helmet. And I also used Rundowns as a base. He was cool with me modding his files. I would ask though him though just in case if you plan too.

Kirrou said:
re you going to edit the 3D models or cut two different peps and put them together?

Well I'm using the ODST heads that are MED Def and the Ral Partha Unfold. Since they are the same proportions and are both based on the rundown models, I'm using the MED-def one for the helmet "dome" and the Ral partha for the rest. The reason is that the MED def dome doesn't have the panel lines which in my opinion, are easier to make during the bondo stage rather than the pep stage. I didnt do any editing, its just two helmet files Frankensteined together.

EDIT: I finished the first pepakura helmet today. The combined pepakura idea turned out VERY nicely ,and it should be very fun to build. I'm working on the second, but with SATs coming like a roaring banshee, Im gonna havta stop soon to study. :/

Pic SO IT DID HAPPEN! (lol)

0104001812.jpg

Although i got SATs and ACTs to study for, I got A LOT done, mainly thanks to some inspiration, and other ODST builds on these forums! On Saturday, I went to Ranger Surplus in Rockville, MD off of Montgomery and got some awesome stuff I plan to use with my Halo builds! The stuff there is actually pretty cheap, and they have a LOT of helpful things if your'e building any suit! Check it out if you're anywhere near D.C. Anyways, heres some of the stuff I got!

ODST black Undersuit/DHARMA Initiative Jumpsuit!

0117001835.jpg

Ammo box with Misriah and UNSC insignia painted on it

0117001758.jpg

0117001757.jpg

GRENADE!!!

0117001802.jpg

As for my ODST, I finished my scratch-built torso piece! (made out of cardboard, velcro, a backpack, and lots of hot glue!)

0118001722a.jpg

And heres everything in Action!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZxaKWbkZE[/media]

Its a little Blurry, but you get the picture...

And my second-new helmet is well on the way!

0118001721.jpg

RANDOM NOTE:

Found this in a supermarket parking lot! LOL

0114001726.jpg

EDIT: TO the Moderators: Thanks for the move! :)

I was wondering do you plan on making a Pepakura link for your HALO3 ODST Armor,if not please consider this request.

Sithslayer78 said:
Although i got SATs and ACTs to study for, I got A LOT done, mainly thanks to some inspiration, and other ODST builds on these forums! On Saturday, I went to Ranger Surplus in Rockville, MD off of Montgomery and got some awesome stuff I plan to use with my Halo builds! The stuff there is actually pretty cheap, and they have a LOT of helpful things if your'e building any suit! Check it out if you're anywhere near D.C. Anyways, heres some of the stuff I got!

ODST black Undersuit/DHARMA Initiative Jumpsuit!

0117001835.jpg

Ammo box with Misriah and UNSC insignia painted on it

0117001758.jpg

0117001757.jpg

GRENADE!!!

0117001802.jpg

As for my ODST, I finished my scratch-built torso piece! (made out of cardboard, velcro, a backpack, and lots of hot glue!)

0118001722a.jpg

And heres everything in Action!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEZxaKWbkZE[/media]

Its a little Blurry, but you get the picture...

And my second-new helmet is well on the way!

0118001721.jpg

RANDOM NOTE:

Found this in a supermarket parking lot! LOL

0114001726.jpg

EDIT: TO the Moderators: Thanks for the move! :)

awesome! nice armour! especially the helmet! and thats epic about the aperature!

O Jeez, I hadn't realized that my last update was deleted! O well, then this one will have to be extra biggish! Alright, here's the jist of whats going on. I haven't been able to get working due to a number of factors including SATs, ACTs, Homework, and pepakura indecision.

THIGHS: Basic low-def files thighs complete, but I will probably make another more High Definition set.

SHINS: A number of pepakura files have been proposed, but scaling factors have delayed efforts until now, as a new, more accurate file is being made, I will hold off until that is released.

TORSO: Complete, may redo the chest plate in the far future.

HIP AREA: had cardboard hip plates complete, but left them in the rain and now are destroyed. still contemplating butt packs, have a completed crotch plate, but water damage has warranted a reconstruction.

SHOULDERS: Older versions 100% complete, but More accurate files (Kirrou's files) have been pepped and are awaiting time for completion.

0426002145.jpg

ARMS: made of shin guards and older version of shoulder pepakura. Complete.

GLOVES: Repainted paintball gloves, perhaps unnecessary.

BOOTS: upon my next trip to a military surplus store, i will buy a pair of army surplus boots.

HELMET: Old helmet seems pretty cool ,but i'm making two new ones, that will be fully equipped with night vision, lights, etc. an improvement based on my frankenpep.

0131002247-1.jpg

0216001501-1.jpg

0402001940.jpg

0410001548.jpg

No plans for a backpack yet.

So I guess that's it, feedback N stuff is appreciated!

Oh yeah, Random Post: Halo thingy made from the figures, but since i broke my chief's arm, iv'e been finding a use for it.

0321002123.jpg

0417001308.jpg

Anyone think this would make a good DMR?

Well, I'm Finally out of school for the year and have promptly gone Prop-crazy. My friend and I are working on Two ODST helmets, one he gets, and one that will replace my current helmet. I've REALLY spent a LOT of time of these two helmets, completely disproportional to the rest of the suit, haha. That disproportion will be clearly visible later... After building these helmets we plan on adding acessories. those include 4, yes that's right!, 4 cooling fans, and a complete night vision HUD. The HUD is run by cameras that will pick up infrared light. we will place 4 IR LEDs into the rim of the helmet and run the input from the camera directly into the Headset of a Spygear ATV 360.
Wild-Planet-Spy-Gear-Spy-Video-ATV-.jpg
we are gonna keep the cars and make the input switchable so that we'll have night vision AND remote controlled combat drones. Combat, as in we'll attach nerf guns to the drones. EAT MY COMBAT DRONE'S NERF BULLETS, COVENANT B@$+@RD$!!! haha.
After priming the helmets, i spent a bunch of time sanding through the grooves and i used a triangular file to carve the grooves rather than pepping the grooves. Personally, I think it was a lot neater.
0513001610-1.jpg

After that, I had attempted to use the mustard weathering technique, but it was a semi-failure. It'll wear off eventually, but right now, its a real pain to get off.
0601001536.jpg

0602001521.jpg

CONTINUED DUE TO IMAGE LIMITS

Then I spent a couple of days painting it, and let me just say, I HATE GLOSS SPRAY PAINT. anyway, I painted the helmets and i was particularly proud of the two custom emblems. One of a Shark for my friend, and A modified Tanith First crest with an imprint of some stuff From the US 442nd Infantry. I hope I can get some visors from Link and then I plan on using Link's transparency technique with the LEDs inside the Helmet, while also adding a few flashlight LEDs on the outside.
0605001830.jpg

0605001827.jpg

0617001808.jpg

0611001615.jpg

As for the rest of the suit, I've resined the new shoulderpads. yup. thats it, as I said COMPLETELY disproportional.
Comments & Feedback are appreciated!

WOW! That is awesome:D! How did you create your lines on the helmet? I use a dremel and im not nearly close to the lines you gotXD

Hi guys I know it's been awhile, but I'm finally going to update my ODST thread. However, with the impending release of Reach, I have kinda put off my ODST, but I still need to finish it before Reach so my friend can wear it to release. So, that being said, here's what I got:

The groin and hip plates are cardboard with cardstocked areas to help remove that striped cardboard look. The butt pack is spongy foam with a thin cardboard base and top and will be covered with stretchy cloth.
0725001848.jpg

The shoulder pads have been redone, this time bigger, stronger and more accurate than ever! They just need to finish sanding and detailing.
0710001455a.jpg

0725001922.jpg

The thighs are a long story. At first they were the standard lo-def meant to be rushed for release last year, but that effort was a fail. So instead of starting over, I just added the bridge and will make the rest out of cardboard and foamies.
0710001455b.jpg

0725001923.jpg

0725001923a.jpg

WOW! That is awesome:D! How did you create your lines on the helmet? I use a dremel and im not nearly close to the lines you gotXD
I used a Triangular File and filed down the panel line along the tracing of a Sharpie marked line I determined myself. In my Opinion, It has definite advantages over the version where the Lines are pepped in, Both in Accuracy and Ease of Construction.
triangular20file.jpg

No updates on the helmets, as I am waiting on visors from link to begin installing hella electronics. Also: for the sake of time, I am omitting the shins and using my friend's hockey shin guards for the release. ALSO: What do you think would be better for a weapon for an ODST at reach? It appears that ODSTs have a similar Armor configuration to that in later halo games (With the strange exception of Halo 2) as the helmet in Reach is definitely the same. But what Weapon should an ODST from Reach use?
  • An MA5C for Iconic/sentimental value?
  • A DMR or Reach Sniper for Game Accuracy?
  • A Silenced SMG for Historical ODST game value?
  • A M6 Pistol for the Hell of it?
Comments, replies, and feedback are appreciated!!!

Hey! It’s been a Very long time since my last update, so Ill just cut to it now. I have everything of the ODST complete, except the legs. I had some older Thighs done as you saw before, but I’ve rejected them in favor of the Thigh Design from Halo: Reach. I’ll be using shin files (hopefully from Kirrou, since his ODST peps have been excellent) pepped and my old knees. I also plan on redoing the shoulder-chest-straps from EVA foam. Here’s what I’ve got all put together.
0909001011.jpg

0909001012.jpg

Shoulders & Belt:
0925001008a-1.jpg

0925001009-1.jpg

0925001009a-1.jpg

0925001008-1.jpg

The helmets however, have been put off because of financial troubles in getting together money for the HUDs. However, everything in my helmet has been wired, and the functions are shown below.
Face-Show-er-LED
0925000924.jpg

0830002011.jpg

Lights
0925000923.jpg

Night Vision(partly) Here is a video demonstration of the NV camera and IR LEDs in action.
Fans Two on each side, one in chin, one in back.
0925000924a.jpg

The old and the NEW
0819001539.jpg

ALSO: LEGO STARFLEET OFFICERS WITH HALO WEAPONS!!!
0913001441.jpg

You have made a huge jump since last update. Your build looks sweet. I am loving all the tech you put into the helmet. What were you planing to use as a display for the night vision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back