Skope's Mark Vi Build **(9/24) Both Biceps 'glassed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome job Skope!! I am liking the results so far...would also like to see how your helmet is turning out as well!

Thanks, all!

WetOkole said:
...would also like to see how your helmet is turning out as well!
There hasn't been any change yet since my last post on the helmet, with school happening and all. I've got to get some illustration board to work out the detailing on it, and since both Hobby Lobby and our school supply store are closed on Sundays (and possibly tomorrow too), I couldn't work on that today. I'll have pics the moment something happens though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after staring at my helmet for quite a while and pondering hard ... I think I'm going to create another helmet. There was a bit of warping in the back section that would require a lot of work to get back to spec. Then on top of all that, there is the a ton of detail work that needs to be added and shaped before bondoing. Oh, and let's not even talk about the rat's nest of fiberglass inside the helmet. I just found that the WalMart where I am now carries fiberglass cloth (the one where i was over break only had mat), so that will make things easier.

2213068466_87a8729509.jpg

What I learned from this: gently add a coat of resin or two on the outside to ensure later stability during fiberglassing.

I think I'll just start on the long road of building FS's newly "finished" helmet. It's smoother, and has all the floating faces for detail work.

Finnish_Spartan said:
You should have read the stickies about resining the outside 1st... this was simply a noobish mistake...

-Fin(n)ish
Yeah, umm thanks for ... that :cautious:

I did read the stickies and other top-notch builders' methods, and not every example included resining the outside, much less first. I realized my mistake and admitted it, though. Don't come criticizing me for it after the fact.

Skope said:
Yeah, umm thanks for ... that :cautious:

I did read the stickies and other top-notch builders' methods, and not every example included resining the outside, much less first. I realized my mistake and admitted it, though. Don't come criticizing me for it after the fact.
I've resined the inside of some of my helmets first, As long as you dont glob it on, you'll be ok. Really even if you glob it on the outside for a first coat, same thing will happen.

Also, off topic, but is that you in the avatar? I like the facial expression.

AoBfrost said:
Also, off topic, but is that you in the avatar? I like the facial expression.
Indeed it is my manly visage. I got really bored a year or so back and spent a while in photoshop getting all artsy for a facebook profile pic. :D

I'm finally back into the world of armor-building after a big downtime. I've begun on the upper arms, and I'm about 70% done with folding the left one. All I lack is the actual bicep bit. I'll probably have that finished by the afternoon, and shall have photo evidence on here soon thereafter.

good to be back. :D

Hey I was going through your pics. I think you can fix the warp spot on the back all you need to do is build up the bondo and sand it down Nice work.

rajein2 said:
Hey I was going through your pics. I think you can fix the warp spot on the back all you need to do is build up the bondo and sand it down Nice work.

Use the EDIT button on your previous post rather than double posting, it is in the rules...

rajein2 said:
I had thought about that, but A) That would add a more weight, :cool: FlyingSquirrel has a better helmet design out there that would require less detail work, C) I just want to redo it. I would rather start again when i'm at an early stage like this, so I can be completely happy with the end result.

and thank you both

I've finished folding the left upper arm. It was a relatively easy build. I must say, though, the intricate bits around the elbow were a challenge.

2665722710_b4763900f9.jpg

2664901549_65eb2f06cd_m.jpg 2664901219_93a90a2b98_m.jpg 2665723478_20a1caeb77_m.jpg 2665723092_fe59fdcb3c_m.jpg

I just want to say that this looks like it is going to be one of the best armours here! I have seen many good... and bad but this so far looks in league with Adams!! If the rest of it is scaled properly and built as good as your handplates with all of the pieces getting a good paintjob and detail like battledamage then this will be one of the best pepakura based armours in existence!!

Thanks for sharing your progress, threads like this are really motivational for me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back