Skope's Mark Vi Build **(9/24) Both Biceps 'glassed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodl3tt3r said:
The only problem with the marine is that it's not as recognizable as the Master Chief... but who gives, maybe I"ll sell it once I'm done and buy one of say, Thor's casts or something.

Now you're thinking. I think Marine armor is much more sell-friendly, seeing as it's not as dependent on limb-length and all that good stuff.

As far as recognizability, I'd say if you wandered into a bar (or underage equivalent locale) geared up on Halloween, most red-blooded males would have played enough Halo to recognize it.

Last edited by a moderator:
soi it's like 32.8cm tall. I only ask because I'm about 5'10... The scale for 6' has a buld height of about 34.4... I made mine 33.0 and that's about the same size as your biceps. Then again I am wearing an undersuit.

Macattack64 said:
soi it's like 32.8cm tall. I only ask because I'm about 5'10... The scale for 6' has a buld height of about 34.4... I made mine 33.0 and that's about the same size as your biceps. Then again I am wearing an undersuit.
Yep ... here's a bit I wrote in my build blog when I started on them:

This brings the length to 33 cm or 13 in. My upper arm from the inside of my elbow to the top of my shoulder is 12 inches. I gave it about an inch and a half or so to protrude above my shoulder, with a gap above my elbow pit (?). I scaled it down about 10% from the suggested scale, which was 77, as I am 6'5" (77 inches).

I just studied the reference photos and tried to gauge where it should fall on my person and scaled accordingly. Looking back, another cm or 2 could have hurt. You just want to have some space between the bottom of the bicep (the actual part covering your bicep) and your forearm. Then you want the tip of the shoulder to go 1.5-2 inches above your shoulder joint. You want to have some good mobility. I consider this the capability to bend your elbow just beyond 45° (gotta watch out for that forearm armor ... forearmor?), and to be able to stretch your arm out straight without bumping the shoulder tip into the shoulder 'strap' of your chest armor (which I very well might actually do :cautious: ). It all just depends on your arm. Maybe you have monkey arms, maybe not.

colorreference_m.jpg

I'm thinking this for the paint scheme. I'm gonna roll with the multiplayer paint scheme... the candy red I've already had going, and a gunmetal gray for the secondary color, and white for the armor detail.

also, note how the forearm and bicep merge. :cautious: That's why you can't base your personal sizing on exactly what the game has.

-------------------------

I got new toys!

2900784046_234e181e0a.jpg

I went out and bought a respirator, some goggles (I couldn't find my goggles from my old Chem class), some sanding sponges, Bondo body filler, and a Dremel tool. w00t.

So I've started grinding and sanding on the biceps. I didn't get much daylight to work with, since I was out buying respirators and such after I left work at 6. Here's where I'm at so far.

2900784458_8d9cd4e414_m.jpg 2900784966_43062710d7_m.jpg 2900785414_27cc27f03d_m.jpg 2899941743_7b730d59a2_m.jpg

The sanded patch in the first picture is as smooth as a baby's bottom now. Of course, it's probably the easiest part to sand.

Some of my neighbors had commented they haven't even heard me since I moved in (most of my neighbors are old). I guess that's changed now that I've got a Dremel. :D

tlither said:
Looking good Skope! Keep it up. Don't rush it and it'll all come out great.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm in no hurry. If I had a date I wanted it done by, it'd have to be next halloween, so there's no rush at all. If I finished this, what else would I have to do around here? :p

-----------

Grinding/Sanding, Day 2

2902761839_59115f0275_m.jpg 2903604534_fcbf951e89_m.jpg

----------

Another update

Got to a point in my sanding where there was no primer left, and I couldn't tell what was left to sand, so I threw down another coat of primer. There's still bits here and there to smooth out. Major portions to add Bondo to... the bicep piece, the top curvy detail on the backside, and the side strap.

2910044713_b1989db295_m.jpg 2910044957_d8b488dec3_m.jpg 2910890238_eb10d03ef6_m.jpg 2910890488_05dcd63e97_m.jpg

Added in a few more details that weren't there before on the shoulder cap etc.
2910890734_c0ff55d733.jpg

i'm just gonna pretend like im getting back on my armor, despite other issues, but that is nice.

i swear, we overkill the compliments here...i just realized that.

@BlacRoseImmortal
@tlither

Thanks, both of you

@rvb4life
thanks

meh, think of it as reinforcement ... cheering-on ... keeps you going when you've got backup.

manjankan said:
what did you resize the hand plates to?
And what does your bicep look like when you were it, and if it fits right what did you scale it too? o_O

manjankan said:
what did you resize the hand plates to?
I really don't recall. I have the scale for the other pieces written down, but apparently I didn't include the handplates in that list. Those last ten months haven't been good on my memory either. :p
It was near the appropriate scale Robogenisis set up in his model. I just tweaked it a bit after studying some reference pictures.

Spawn Camp3r said:
And what does your bicep look like when you were it, and if it fits right what did you scale it too? o_O

I'm presuming you meant to say when i was in it? If you had read my posts in this topic before asking, you'd get the answer to both those questions. here and here

Jax Archillies said:
dammit mine look liek crap compared to yours....

I don't know, man. Yours look pretty good to me. The torso and that forearm look great. The only thing I would say about your helmet is that it could use a bit of grinding in places to bring out the edges. Other than that, I can tell you put a lot of time into getting it really smooth. I've seen your WIP, and can really see the time invested.

I just have no real time frame on when I want this done (maybe next D*Con), so I'm just taking my sweet time and being a obsessive about the details. I've probably spend 2 hours each weekday working on the biceps since August (with a few snags due to weather and funding), but you can also see how many pieces I have (or rather haven't) put out. Everybody has to find their balance.

I've begun adding Rondo (via Sigma-LS's Muddy Secrets Tutorial). I started with the raised part on the backside of the upper arm (opposite the bicep). I mixed up about an ounce of it and poured it into my tape-wall-corral, tilted it this way and that, making sure it didn't spill over. After it sat for a few seconds and thickened up, I used my mixing tool to push it around inside to make sure it covered everything I needed it to. I didn't need to just drown my piece. I just needed enough to override the ridges in the pepakura that needn't be there. Still, I went thicker than i needed, just on the safe side. You can always sand it back down.

I left it for an hour before taking the tape off and starting to sand with a 60-grit sanding sponge. It worked quite well. After I reached my limit with the sponge, I used my Dremel and a sanding disc (basically a round piece of sandpaper) to get the major dips out and to bring the level back down to where I needed.

Here's a photo of it post-sanding. I've put some primer down so I can see the flaws better, but it's still drying. I'll get another picture up in an hour or so.

2932120589_484371ef44.jpg

[EDIT]

Here it is with a layer of primer on it.
2933130738_acc84480ee.jpg

Here is the area in question

I still need to touch off the edges of it in places, but the tape wall did a nice job of keeping it smooth. I have to say though, if you're working on an area that has a tall piece in the center (i.e. this area I'm working on), you might want to get some tape that's wider than one-inch. 2- or 3-inch tape would be optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back