Skullcandy Girl's Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronin said:
Great work! The scale fits you perfect! I read that you thought about painting it black, I have never seen black. How would you weather black?

I've never seen any MJOLNIR armour done in black, either. I think it would look pretty damn kewl though, heh.

Of course, in Skullcandy's case, given the afore-mentioned "Tex" guy comments, I can understand why she'd want to choose something else, lol.

As for weathering black armour, I would imagine it wouldn't really be all that different from weathering other colours.

Maybe use a slightly darker undercoating (say, pewter or gunmetal grey, as opposed to silver), so that there wouldn't be too stark a contrast between that and the darker armour colour.

One wouldn't want the "battle damage" to be the most noticeable design element on the armour, after all.

But then, maybe that's just me... :p lol

Last edited by a moderator:
A black armour...it can be done, if one uses the right set of greytones. One only need to look at this forum for inspiration. :D

As for RvB: SKG, go watch it when you have the time (all episodes can be found on YouTube).

Hey chicka bum bum.

Hey skullkandy, Im likin ze armor....

And im falling behind on mind =O But i will catch up :p .......hopefully ;)

But anyways well done on the helmet ive missed alot since i was last on :D
But not to much. ;)

You good then?

-spartanmartin

@ Red: I'm glad you like my progress :) Ah well I've been friends with a lot more guys than girls, I have an older brother and sister that love video games and technology, and I work in a male dominated field. And most of the guys here are nice and endearing, a few dousche nozzle, but what can ya do.

@ rvb: haha yesh, you be Grif :) As for my resin/fiberglass, I use a different non-toxic resin that cures in about 30 minutes, same for when it's glassed. I'm waiting to do it all at once.

@ Ronin: Shanks, the scale is pretty exact for me :)

@ Spartan II: Haha well I dunno if I'd weather it at all, matte black is just sooooooooooooooooo stealthy. I dunno I'm stuck between green and black. I do have a pewter and gold metallic paints for undertoning :) I hope once it all comes together hte paint job doesn't get jacked up.

@Spartan 299: I used to be an RvB fan, I'm on zee site and I've met most of the guys. I watched up until ep 60, where for me, it just wasn't my cup of tea anymore.

@ Spartanmartin: Yeah made some more progress, got time between more sanding, so gonna bang out the torso and most of the upper body armor

Skullcandy Girl said:
@ Red: I'm glad you like my progress :) Ah well I've been friends with a lot more guys than girls, I have an older brother and sister that love video games and technology, and I work in a male dominated field. And most of the guys here are nice and endearing, a few dousche nozzle, but what can ya do.

[...]

@ Spartan II: Haha well I dunno if I'd weather it at all, matte black is just sooooooooooooooooo stealthy. I dunno I'm stuck between green and black. I do have a pewter and gold metallic paints for undertoning :) I hope once it all comes together hte paint job doesn't get jacked up.

[...]

BOLD # 1: Unfortunately, there will always be a few "rotten apples" in the bunch, no matter where you go. Gosh... I hope I'm not one of those "douches" you mentioned... :p J/k lol

BOLD # 2: Well, it was just a suggestion. Ultimately, you choose what you want to do with your armour. Can't hurt to make the odd friendly suggestion though, heh. If you do decide to weather your armour, I really do think the darker undercoating would work better... ;)

Skullcandy Girl said:
... I was going to do Matte Black, but since I began the ODST project I may reserve it for that :D

The armor is coming along really well :D and another black spartan would be pretty sweet :cool: though green is also pretty cool... you almost need a different set of amor for each color, if only they didn't take so long to build :cautious: :lol:

SPARTAN II said:
...As for weathering black armour, I would imagine it wouldn't really be all that different from weathering other colours.

Maybe use a slightly darker undercoating (say, pewter or gunmetal grey, as opposed to silver), so that there wouldn't be too stark a contrast between that and the darker armour colour...

It's a little different but not by much, basically tone it down as you said :) another option would be to go silver, then gunmetal/pewter and black on top... that way you still get the layers. Adding a few browns for dirt and gunk can look cool too.

Skullcandy Girl said:
a few dousche nozzle, but what can ya do.

I hear you. ;)

@SpartanII-nah your not that.....just a jerk. :p joking, joking, relax. (*waits, quivering in a corner for Spartan's retort*)
I think over all we've got a pretty great set of guys/girlies here.

RedTogusa said:
[...]

@SpartanII-nah your not that.....just a jerk. :p joking, joking, relax. (*waits, quivering in a corner for Spartan's retort*)
I think over all we've got a pretty great set of guys/girlies here.

I was just WAITING for someone to comment on what I said. Now you must feel my wrath... MWAHAHAHA!

That wouldn't be the first time I've been called a jerk... not in a bad way, though (if that makes any sense)... LMAO

BOLD # 1: You're so right, Red! For the most part, we've got quite an outstanding group of guys and gals here. Some really skilled individuals, too. Sure makes for a fun place to come to... heh :D

So I still have the bottom back ridged vents to put in my torso, and some tiny pieces of the support struts to put in so some of the shaping will hold while I wait to fiberglass and resin it. Then it's on to figuring out how to cut it in half and widening the neck hole slightly, snaps buckles etc, etc XD
torso01.jpg

torso02.jpg

The other exciting news is I've been buying pieces for my under armor suit as well.

I got an Under Armor tactical hood. While I thought I ordered the heat gear, I got the cold gear instead. Which right now is ok, but for D-Con and the damn humidity of ATL, I will absolutely be trying to get a heat gear.. which is sold out on the web. I'm sure somewhere in NYC will have it... I hope.

I also purchased a Sette Pressure suit from pricepoint, that will give me more bulk and just add more "neatness" to the MC armor :) These are on sale now for $79.89, and are suprsingly VERY comfortable! It has zip off sleeves and velcro can stick to the entire suit (I think). You can also adjust the back protector and remove it as well.
underarmor01.jpg

underarmor02.jpg

underarmor03.jpg

underarmor04.jpg

underarmor05.jpg

Grrrrrrrrrrrr....!!

I'm either a Pre Armored Spartan or a cyber ninja thing XD I AM NINJA, YOU ARE NINJA, WE ARE NINJA TOO! :p

Next weekend I hope to finish the torso, do the Syflo forearms and the Space diaper, as I prefer his models over the other low poly work. And perhaps I could wait for th HI-Res forearms and space diaper, but I wanted to try my hand at adding details like some of our other forgers :D

Definately looking very ninja-esque there, SC! :lol:

It's good to see you've made a little more progress on your armour. We seriously gotta get some ladies' finished pieces out there, heh.

Btw, I too was thinking of getting a hood of some sort for under then helmet, since I don't have the sewing skills to fabricate a neck seal of my own right now.

So, this makes for a great alternative. Thanks for sharing! :D

what no fair! i want that pressure suit, and gloves, and hood thingy!
were did you get the gloves?
and your pep torso rocks! i wish i took more time finishing mine.

Really nice, yeah for dragoncon alot of you going in your armor your going to need some type of ventilation, because trust me ive been to alot of conventions and even not in costume it gets really humid with alot of people walking around, so add on an extra 10-20 degrees for keeping your body heat trapped in your clothing will truly put you at risk so all ways think with safety guys, i dont want to hear that one of our members had a heat stroke. it would be very saddening, but as for mrs skullcandy, wayto go on your progress,

hey. im closest to a ninja, i actually am trained in a martial art, and got a black belt for it. ah.....next armor piece, ill have my karate uniform on.

as for the under armor, US cavalry has specials all the time, and with the warm weather, it should be getting more colors for the heat gear in soon, and they get exclusive types (its a military supplier too, lots of camo for ODST wannabes)

that torso is a pain in the rear, right? check my thread, i cut it at the indent at the shoulder, thats usually the cutoff point for all the perms, it should help you.

keep up the good work, but it looks like im passing you at the pep stage!

I'm really groovin' on that pressure suit - I just ordered one for myself (as well as a pair of the Sette shin/knee guards to hold my shins in place). I really didn't want a big bulky one like some of the 661 suits but that one is just about perfect - nice find. I also like that the forearms come off - perfect for holding the armor in place...

Tha armor looks great too - perfect scale!

@ Spartan: Thank ya sir :) I work on my armor when I can, I have about 2 months left on the movie and then it's DONE and I get my weekends and nights back. Social life, working-out, beaches, armor, conventions... ahhh it'll be nice to have some free time!! I suck at sewing too, haha never learned XP

Look around for the Heat Gear, I haven't had much luck finding one. I'm assuming with the current war in the Middle east, since it's a desert, the soliders probably bought all of them, poor guys in that damn heat.

@ FS: HAHAHAH, that's CLASSIC :D

@Rachiav: No fair, WHHHHHAAAAAT :p Count your pennies silly head. Then you can buy em :D

@ Assassin: Thanks for the tips :) I hope I can some how keep drinking a ton of ice water through out the day, dunno if a camel back will fit between the torso and Pressure suit. thanks :D

@RVB: It's called a JOKE! I'm wearing a black hood, ninja's wear *gasp* BLACK HOODS :p And you missed the "Ask a Ninja" reference...

Anywho thanks for the suggestion.

Everyone is doing more Pepakura than me, I don't really care, it's not a race.

@ DogWizard: Awesome :D I'm glad you found a suit you like. Yeah I like how the 661 suits looks, but I liked the Sette more since you can zip stuff off and it's mainly black :) Ohhhh, cool you'll have to let us know how the shins work out! I was wondeirng about that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back