Sliced peps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanniba1istic

Ive seen a few sliced weapon pep files in the all-in-one pepakura pack, and i was wondering, how exactly do you assemble those?

You take the actual pep file and print it out. It can be on regular paper. Cut it out trace that pattern onto individual layers of cardboard, or something with a similar thickness. Assemble the layers of cardboard in corresponding order. Finishing methods obviously vary, due to the options. Hopefully that helps a little.

When you're working something of that thickness, it's hard to incorporate a lot of the smaller details when working in slices. A lot of the details are added during the finishing process, be it through some type of smoother, i.e. bondo or spackle, or even engraving the details into the medium that you are building out of. That is why some people build with photographic matboard, simply because it accepts engraving better than what cardboard does. Help a little more? I've not worked with sliced models myself, I'm just trying to explain to the best of my ability what I've seen done in the past.

which one are you using? most of the ones I've seen are pretty well detailed.

Im not really planning on doing one, i was just curious.

When you're working something of that thickness, it's hard to incorporate a lot of the smaller details when working in slices. A lot of the details are added during the finishing process, be it through some type of smoother, i.e. bondo or spackle, or even engraving the details into the medium that you are building out of. That is why some people build with photographic matboard, simply because it accepts engraving better than what cardboard does. Help a little more?

That makes a lot more sense. So you can use cardboard?

1/4" ply-wood works great too.

They're not supposed to be detailed, usually. My understanding was it was closer to scratch building, you would just carve out or add details as needed. The slice just gives you the basic shape, nothing fancy.

It's good to be curious, it helps when learning this hobby. And yes, cardboard is acceptable. In fact, it is quite often recommended, due to the fact that it is so easily accessible.

After you transfer the slices to the cardboard or the plywood, whichever the case may be, how do you get them to stay together?

Hot glue for cardboard. Wood glue for plywood. You can add screws to plywood for extra strength and it adds detail.

Well that does make sense. Hmm, with all this new information, i may tried one when im done with my current project. If i do, ill be sure to start a thread about it =] Thanks for the Help

if you want a really really REALLY nice sliced covie beam rifle i know of one that is amazingly accurate and, it would be difficult to make though because of the size of the way the pieces are laid out they would print out of order but still, best sliced weapon I've ever seen.

Speaking of sliced files, is there one for he M6G (B)? I have plenty of foam or MDF to spare so I figure, why not?

can you cast and mold a slice? becouse im making the Emil knife from the all in one and the sheath is sliced and im molding the knife can i do the same to the sheath

can you cast and mold a slice? becouse im making the Emil knife from the all in one and the sheath is sliced and im molding the knife can i do the same to the sheath

You certainly can! But the slice would have to though the hardening process, smoothening process and the detailing process(Optional).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back