1st Build Some advice?

AviaWilliam

spartan.cosplay.idea copy.jpeg
I’m very much on the idea of an ODST Spartan helmet from reach. I intend on doing this with foam, and I have no idea where to start. I want to get the helmet nailed down before I do anything major like a suit or not.

The colors I have are there, and around the visor I have a matte bronze color I want to utilize, white paint or so might be added with little markings that are free handed.

My few questions are:

1. Is this even feasible, like remotely for a first time builder of anything.
2. What stuff should I get, or recommend getting?
3. Does it look aesthetically pleasing? (I think it does, but I don’t know if it does to others.)

Any advice will 100% be read and taken into consideration, I’m fairly lost on where to start, and getting a helmet done would be amazing regardless.

Hey AviaWilliam,

First off Welcome to the 405th! There are a bunch of threads that already exist that might be good to go through for getting started. (linking some with relation to Foam and tools.

A helmet is for sure something doable as a first time build. Whatever you do I'd suggest reading through the forums to see how others have done it before.

I personally think your colors look awesome! They have a good amount of pop and contrast.

see how others have done it before.

I personally think your colors look awesome! They have a good amount of pop and contrast.
Thank you so much! I’ll look into what you have said. I’ve looked around the forums, and I think my best bet may be a Pepakura template, and work off that with EVA foam.

The vast majority of the entries in The Armory have both standard and Foam Optimized templates for Pepakura. Any of the .PDO files in the folder with "FOAM" in the name will already have been adjusted to work better with foam.

While I definitely don't have as much experience with foam as some other people here, one thing I struggled with when building suit of ODST armor was sizing. There are two sizing tutorials here I really should have looked at before I started on my armor listed below. These tutorials can also be found in the tutorial index.
As for where to start, I personally see the helmet as the hardest part of the armor to make, and at least for me, I made the helmet last so that at the point of making the helmet, I would have the most experience working with foam. Personally, even if you don't want to build a full suit, I would recommend starting with a few test pieces to get comfortable working with foam. Then once you are comfortable working with foam, moving onto the helmet. What these test pieces would be I am not sure, maybe some shoulder pads or a prop like a magnum. It really depends on what you would like to do.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back