Something scary happened to a family friend last night..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GruntOfAction

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/top_story.aspx?storyid=46879

o_O..

The "Teenager" was their son who was in the laundry room and heard the robbers in the house..Quick thinking from the parents though..His mom told the robbers that it was just her and her husband..The kid went to his brother's house and told him what happened and the brother brought his rifle and killed the one robber and shot the other in the stomache...the one who was shot in the stomache ran off though..

good on him!!!! im glad everyones ok (appart from the robbers). if that happened in this country the robbers could sue you and win. its scary cuz its not even a joke!!! the only situation where you can harm a burgler (even forcibly restrain them) is if they go upstairs as this is preceived as a thret to your family. BUT, if you have something like a baseball bat upstairs you cant use it cuz then 'you pre meditated the attack'! theres a few patitions going around to try get this changed but no luck so far.

again im glad the innoccent are unharmed in this one (appart from his hand which hopefuly will be alright). :)

He killed one? Thats a pretty bad thing to have a on a teenagers concience (his brother murdering somone and a cutally seeing a body), I think it would be ok to restrain them by shooting them in the foot or somthing, but i dont think the guy deserved to die, no second chance?

smilie120 said:
He killed one? Thats a pretty bad thing to have a on a teenagers concience (his brother murdering somone and a cutally seeing a body), I think it would be ok to restrain them by shooting them in the foot or somthing, but i dont think the guy deserved to die, no second chance?

He shot the guy and killed him because the guy got 2 shots on his father and was about to end his life. What would have been better: One dead robber, or 4 dead, innocent, people? The person who was robbing the place apparently was put in jail because the picture of him was a mugshot of him in a Jail jumpsuit. He's gone to like 5 confessions at our church and is still a little freaked out.. The Sherif says he won't be charged for murder,seeing as the other went on his property...

Last edited by a moderator:
smilie120 said:
self defense is not murder. besides, that SOB deserved to die.

damn thats scary. if it was me, id headshot them next time, cuz they do not deserve to live anymore, especially if they intrude on my grounds.

flying_squirl said:
good on him!!!! im glad everyones ok (appart from the robbers). if that happened in this country the robbers could sue you and win. its scary cuz its not even a joke!!! the only situation where you can harm a burgler (even forcibly restrain them) is if they go upstairs as this is preceived as a thret to your family. BUT, if you have something like a baseball bat upstairs you cant use it cuz then 'you pre meditated the attack'! theres a few patitions going around to try get this changed but no luck so far.

again im glad the innoccent are unharmed in this one (appart from his hand which hopefuly will be alright). :)

Quote from Vermot state trooper in 2003 after my house was robbed.

"If your gunna shoot a burgalar you best aim to kill or he can sue you" "If you feel you life is endangered its shoot first questions later."

no joke kids

Well... holy hell.

Am I the only one who, despite the pre-meditated shooting, thinks that running a guy down with an entire magazine is a little overkill?

There are plenty ways to disable someone without gutting them with a lead enema. Not that I disagree with the action taken, but... killing isn't the answer.

flying_squirl said:

there's also a lot of variables that go into that as well. IE. what city/state you live in, how good of a lawyer you have, what weapons the criminals had on them at the time, and what actions they had taken against you.

especially the last 2, if a guy breaks into your house by just punchin out a window, and tries to steal some stuff. Of course you can get screwed by causing him massive harm, because he technically isn't threatening your life in any way. However, if someone breaks in, and even just has a gun with them, it's an entirely different situation. Brandishing a lethal weapon in a situation like that by the robber can be seen as life threatening situation for you, and you can totally defend yourself accordingly.

glad to hear everyone's ok though. that had to be a horribly traumatizing experience for the children.

Primal Weyland said:
Well... holy hell.

Am I the only one who, despite the pre-meditated shooting, thinks that running a guy down with an entire magazine is a little overkill?

There are plenty ways to disable someone without gutting them with a lead enema. Not that I disagree with the action taken, but... killing isn't the answer.
so a worthless person died. do you want to pay a lifetime of taxes to keep them alive in jail?

Ever hear of ther police? They usually handle stuff like this... I hear that they have their own guns and everything. ;)

Just because you have a rifle doesn't mean you can go around shooting 'robbers' in the stomach and all.

Burglary is a far cry from pre-meditated murder, even if it's done in self defense.

Your'e lucky they don't thow him in jail for shooting two people.... what if it had been a misunderstanding, or a prank?

Sean Bradley said:
Ever hear of ther police? They usually handle stuff like this... I hear that they have their own guns and everything. ;)
Just because you have a rifle doesn't mean you can go around shooting 'robbers' in the stomach and all.

Burglary is a far cry from pre-meditated murder, even if it's done in self defense.
Your'e lucky they don't thow him in jail for shooting two people.... what if it had been a misunderstanding, or a prank?

I this case, unfortunately it wasn't a prank or misunderstanding. You don't hold someone at knife point and then say 'Haha, I was just joking', but Sean is right. The brother/relative didn't live in the house so in all likely hood, he could end up with criminal charges being brought upon him. This is of course if the other perp even comes back to file those charges, or if he's found dead and the families of the perps choose to do so. It's a messed up system, but the law is clear about home invasion. You have every right to defend yourself with deadly force when someone has broken in, but you better be prepared for whatever consequences occur afterward. The whole 'shoot to kill' is still tricky now a days, because even when the trespasser is killed their families can still sue. You'd be surprised how many cases fall out of favor with the victims.

Either way, I'm glad that the family is ok for the most part, but the Police should have been called first before any action was taken, which may or may not have improved the situation.

-Magnum

23Magnum said:
I this case, unfortunately it wasn't a prank or misunderstanding. You don't hold someone at knife point and then say 'Haha, I was just joking', but Sean is right. The brother/relative didn't live in the house so in all likely hood, he could end up with criminal charges being brought upon him. This is of course if the other perp even comes back to file those charges, or if he's found dead and the families of the perps choose to do so. It's a messed up system, but the law is clear about home invasion. You have every right to defend yourself with deadly force when someone has broken in, but you better be prepared for whatever consequences occur afterward. The whole 'shoot to kill' is still tricky now a days, because even when the trespasser is killed their families can still sue. You'd be surprised how many cases fall out of favor with the victims.

Either way, I'm glad that the family is ok for the most part, but the Police should have been called first before any action was taken, which may or may not have improved the situation.

-Magnum
Acording to the police the one who was shot and killed was already wanted for another crime..They arrested 4 other people and 1 woman who were believed to be helping with the robbery.. The guy with the stomache wounds apparently was tracked to his car but only his scent and he apparently drove away..The sherif said (the relitive) wouldn't be charged considering he saved 3 lives...1 bad life for 3 good lives...seems like a good payoff..

Sean Bradley said:

Damn my thread couldn't be posted when i was on a bit ago so im here now to reply to Sean B, I guess the laws in your state are the same as Oregon's but lucky me I live in Washington, if someone were to try that in my home I GARANTEE that they'd leave in a body bag point blank!!!! AND it would be justifiable here!!! oh and I don't think they'd thow him in jail BUT they would THROW him in jail!!! hehe~

Cert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back