SpartanT117's Hazop Build; WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
heck why not leave somethin alone if I like it? lol bondo'd the back portion of it, working my way like I did with the resin: top, back, sides, front. taking liberty with this stuff since it doesn't require heat or sunlight to cure. :)

dabbed it in the resin on both sides, AND BEGAN ROLLING IT IN MY HAND LIKE PLAY-DOH MAKING A BALL OF FIBERGLASS, and then molded it into my helmet

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish you had taken photos of this! lol I can't even comprehend what the result would have been like. Is your helmet fully hardened now or what? Just a friendly reminder that if you have any doubt as to how to proceed with something (i.e. fiberglassing, Bondo-ing, etc), YouTube videos/tutorials are a great help.

With that said, your helmet is looking great so far, even if you had a fiberglassing issues. I'm glad to see the HAZOP helmet being made; I actually don't think I've seen a completed one yet. It's a shame, I don't understand why people don't like it that much, and use it in Reach. I think it's one of the best looking helmets in the game; I wore it for a long time until I unlocked more helmets.

As for your Bondo work, I'd say you put it on a little heavy. Don't cover the helmet with it if you don't need to, it's just for smoothing out edges, etc. Otherwise, you'll lose some of the detail of the helmet's shape. For detail work, you can use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to make grooves in it, but this is not for the inexperienced hands. Even a tiny amount of overpressure will cut right through the helmet. However, a great alternative is using a set of needle files. You can find sets of these at just about any hardware store, and they are generally cheap. I find them to be an indispensable tool for any modeler.

Keep up the great work.

oh man was i ticked when I found out i did it wrong!!!!! haha but it was wild. :/ I couldn't figure out why it kept grabbing on to my gloves, it wouldn't stick!!!!! but what i've done for now is I took my reinforced cutting wheel and just shaved it all, but it's really solid, so idk if I should even redo the fiberglass. But maybe I should. thank you for the help though, I'm not gonna bondo the whole thing very much, it's starting to get heavy. :0 lol but yea, just build up the grooves on the top of my helm and the cheeks, and a little line across the top of the helmet like in Reach. and Yes, it's the only one I've ever used cause it's just beautiful and it's like one of the only ones I ever unlocked. :p imma get my helm, my beautiful helm with minimum warpage :D done first to give me a push to get the whole thing done for a con in Az labor day weekend. Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it. :)
Edit: it's got a lot of work done to it, but it was MUCH more wilder than this. :)

FILE0070.jpg

you can also see a little bit of it through the front of my amazingly beautiful helmet. :D

FILE0073.jpg

as for Bondo work, I've got it pretty much sanded down.

FILE0071.jpg

And as far as I can tell, there's only one warpage spot at the back of my helm, where I out my head in, but if they can fix warped(dented) vehicles with bondo, I can fix this.

FILE0076.jpg

Hi Tim, your job is much sanding you there patiently. if you let me (I am aware that I am a novice) but if something good is less curing is to quisas half of what you use. this gives you more time to work, this good about your credit card upon quisas you should get another one to clean one another, and use that has clean edges. Good work keep it up friend.

Thanks Toja! your build is one that I look up to, your work is muy bueno mi amigo! Progress report: got a lil bit more Bondo done, if you see I have that one spot at the back that needs filling out, then I have one of those little thingys on the side right by the visor that sticks out that was a little low. Working on that and the indention across the front top of the helmet, then paint!! :D cannot wait to pull out my artistic talent!! :D I love painting!! lol

Your doing a hazop? If you finish this it will be the first finished hazop helmet i've seen, sweet! Good luck on sanding and making that thing a beauty!

Your doing a hazop? If you finish this it will be the first finished hazop helmet i've seen, sweet! Good luck on sanding and making that thing a beauty!
haha I'm racing against the clock with Tenebrus, he's doin the same, but I'm focusin on the helmet first, then everything else. but his is already bondo'd and sanded haha, I don't know what he's waiting for lol but man, this is huge for me. such a high detail piece for my real first piece and it comes out with only one warped spot? I think I did pretty good, and makin it a beauty aint hard mate ;) . can't wait to show all my friends!! haha :p thanks for commenting it means alot. Might as well progress report, got some more bondo, starting to detail. Not much longer before I can paint!!!!!! man I am sooo excited!!!

haha I'm racing against the clock with Tenebrus, he's doin the same, but I'm focusin on the helmet first, then everything else. but his is already bondo'd and sanded haha, I don't know what he's waiting for lol but man, this is huge for me. such a high detail piece for my real first piece and it comes out with only one warped spot? I think I did pretty good, and makin it a beauty aint hard mate ;) . can't wait to show all my friends!! haha :p thanks for commenting it means alot. Might as well progress report, got some more bondo, starting to detail. Not much longer before I can paint!!!!!! man I am sooo excited!!!
Cant wait man! going to check out tenebrus's work right now.

LET ME HEAR A WOOT WOOT!!!!! lol got it all bondo'd and sanded dwon today, only one more thing that's optional, then it is finished!!! when you look at these pictures, there's one of the top of the helmet, and there's and obvious low spot. so I tried Bondoing it the best I could, but came just a little short. it looks like battle damage right now, so should I keep it or fill it in? anyway, here's the pictures!!! :D

SIDE VIEW

FILE0083.jpg

OPPOSITE SIDE VIEW

FILE0084.jpg

TOP, low spot is right there by the arrow.

FILE0086.jpg

Did you sand it a lot more after the pictures? And did you spot putty it? I'm not saying i'm amazing at building armor or anything, but that looks like it needs another few hours of sanding. It doesn't have to look like it was cnc'd or injection molded, but it can be better than that.

Hit it with a coat of spot putty(very light, being sure to fill in all of the cracks), sand it, then spray some primer on, and sand some more. Then take another picture. I've seen helmets sanded to a near mirror finish (with glazing putty as the outermost layer of course), and i believe they deserve the most work out of the whole suit.

Great progress though, keep at it and you will have it.

Btw, the spot puttu i used is bondo 907.

thanks for the input man, I'll take it into account since your armor pieces look very nice. However, the helmet does look better in person, but it could use some work on the bottom I agree. is the spot putty also in the automobile repair section of WalMart?

I have to agree with agordon117 It still needs some more sanding, Its better to take your time when finishing up a helmet, I wouldn't rush it for the sake of finishing it up quickly, believe me patience and the extra work will pay off in the end and the extra time will be worth it, Im not knocking you just giving some friendly advice also with all the work involved with peping that helmet its worth the time to make it look as good as you can, good luck on finishing it up

Also yes spot putty filler is available in the automotive section where they sell Bondo comes in a toothpaste looking tube

I have to agree with agordon117 It still needs some more sanding, Its better to take your time when finishing up a helmet, I wouldn't rush it for the sake of finishing it up quickly, believe me patience and the extra work will pay off in the end and the extra time will be worth it, Im not knocking you just giving some friendly advice also with all the work involved with peping that helmet its worth the time to make it look as good as you can, good luck on finishing it up

Also yes spot putty filler is available in the automotive section where they sell Bondo comes in a toothpaste looking tube
Thanks Hyper, is it just the bottom of my helmet or the top too?

Maybe you used to much bondo? I remember when I did my mandalorian helmet I put WAY to much on there. Also what are you using to sand your helmet? If you arent using one, i'd suggest useing a dremel, they are accurate, and do a magnificent job.

I'm using a lot, but it's mostly getting sanded away. :/ but I am using a Dremel. I guess I'm still learning, cause I've spent days trying to get it just right, I thought I was finished cause it looks good, but I do need to work on the bottom and fill in the cracks and chips on the top.

The key isn't using a lot of bondo. The goal is to make all of the surfaces smooth. Your pep should be the basic shape. You should not be doing the shaping of the part at the bondo stage. Sure you can correct minor imperfections and put in little details that weren't there, but you need to start with as perfect of a model as possible, and only use the bondo for shaping the curves. At least for the most part.

yea, that's what I'm doin, those freakin spots and chips are really tickin me off, but heading to WM to get some putty, that's the only thing I can think of to use. Thanks so much for your help!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back