Spitfire22V's LD Mark VI build - Now Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the photos! :cool

Here is the pic we took. It took me awhile to find your thread again. I wish i had my Kashyyyk trooper costume on. You and the ODST looked real good. The ODST is a member of the 501st Garrison Carida.
It was nice to meet you! Is the guy in the ODST suit a member here also? I wasn't sure if the 501st allowed Halo costumes or not.

Here's a video my sister took when it was my turn to be called up to the stage to present my costume. I was nearly blinded by the flashes! (Also, is it just me, or does someone exclaim "Woah!" when I attach my Pistol to my thigh?)
th_BaltimoreComicCon2011CostumeContest.jpg

No Halo in 501st. Someone else who knows him told me he is a member, I assume he has a quality Star Wars costume as well.

Congratulations man! Your first con had spectacular ending and it looks like you had a great time.

It's not just you, I heard the woah.

No Halo in 501st. Someone else who knows him told me he is a member, I assume he has a quality Star Wars costume as well.
I found him on Facebook. I wasn't sure if you were allowed to make armor other than Star Wars if you're in the 501st or something. Not sure how strict they are! :cool

Congrats to you. Definitely worth the time and effort knowing the attention you are getting.
Thanks! Yes, it really makes me forget about all those hours cutting, folding, gluing, and sanding. :eek It's all worth it now!

Congratulations man! Your first con had spectacular ending and it looks like you had a great time.

It's not just you, I heard the woah.
Thanks! It was a blast, and couldn't have asked for a better experience from my first con. :)

Your suit turned out great!. I appreciate you taking time to shoot pics of how you strapped everything together. Makes life alot easier for those of us who haven't got that far yet. :)

Love the Video, Looks great.

Your suit turned out great!. I appreciate you taking time to shoot pics of how you strapped everything together. Makes life alot easier for those of us who haven't got that far yet. :)

Thanks for the comments guys, means a lot from experienced builders like you! :cool

Well, I know I haven't posted any new material here in a while, so I thought I'd share a few photos about what I'm working on now.

First, the BR. I finally managed to get some work done on the magazine of the BR, specifically gluing in the Rare Earth magnets I purchased, and then starting to cover up the exposed sides of the foamboard with cardboard.
IMG_6058.jpg

The mag. Still have yet to cutout the top for the bullet.
IMG_6059.jpg

Inside view of the magazine well, lined in cardboard.
IMG_6060.jpg

The BR so far. Next, need to start carving and sanding it to shape.
IMG_6062.jpg

Sanded down, polished, and painted the fake epoxy putty bullet.
IMG_6061.jpg

After having some trouble trying to figure out what I'd use as a barrel, I finally remembered that I had some plastic styrene tubes that were to be used for an R/C planes dummy exhaust stacks. Since that project is on hold, I decided to use this for the barrel; seems like it will be just right.
IMG_6066.jpg

Finally, a big modification. I was really apprehensive about doing this, but I "bit the bullet", so-to-speak, and hacked off the bottom part of the front bicep section of the shoulder pieces. It was just really limiting my arm-bending mobility since my shoulder pieces are a little too large.
IMG_6063.jpg

I also enlarged the opening of the inner forearm to also be less restrictive.
IMG_6064.jpg

Here's a comparison with an intact shoulder.
IMG_6065.jpg

I'm not too happy about this, and I don't really like how it looks now, but I don't want to remake the shoulders. I'm sure that no one will really notice anything (the builder is always their own worse critic), and I'll probably be grateful for the extra mobility. I could barely put my own helmet on before!

Well, let me know what you think if you'd like.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

I have the same problem with my bicep parts also, I can't get myself to chop them down, so I still need to make smaller forearms but never seem to get a chance to work on a new set, I bet after a while it will drive you crazy and you will end up making new ones ;)......also I like the way the BR is turning out, glad to see you have a project going on, I was wondering what you've been up to lately

No one will ever notice that extra inch you cut off of the bicep. If it helps you enjoy wearing the suit, that's all that matters in the end. Oh, and the BR is looking great too!:)

hey whats up spitfire nice BR you've got going there
and also I can barley tell that you did anything to your shoulder's they look the same too me

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the details you did with us. I'm nearing completion on my suit, and skimming your thread has really helped keep my focused and going. I was worried about so many impefections in my suit that it was starting to make me increasingly negative on the whole project but after seeing what you were able to do with the low-def I'm confident I can achieve the same fantastic results that you did. Thanks, for all of this.

hey whats up spitfire nice BR you've got going there
and also I can barley tell that you did anything to your shoulder's they look the same too me

Thanks! After wearing the suit and experiencing greater arm mobility, I am not disappointed anymore with my decision to trim them!

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the details you did with us. I'm nearing completion on my suit, and skimming your thread has really helped keep my focused and going. I was worried about so many impefections in my suit that it was starting to make me increasingly negative on the whole project but after seeing what you were able to do with the low-def I'm confident I can achieve the same fantastic results that you did. Thanks, for all of this.

You're very welcome! It's very rewarding to here that whatever time and effort I put into my build and this thread helps keep others motivated to do the same!

nice detail on the sholders

Thanks, glad you like them!

Well, another Halloween has come and gone, and I figured I would throw in some photos of me suited-up for the festivities.

First, a photo of my jack-o-lantern for this year:
IMG_6427.jpg

On Saturday, I attended "Nightmare on M Street", a Halloween bar crawl in DC. It was great fun being a part of all the costumed attendees, and once again I got a lot of good praise and compliments on the costume, as well as lots of photo-ops. Unfortunately, I somehow missed the costume contest I was planning on participating in. I was told to show up at a specific bar between 10:30-11:00 PM, but when I got there at 10:45, I was told it was over. I was pretty upset about that...

Having dinner before hitting the bars.
IMG_3333.jpg

Taking the Metro into the city.
IMG_3337.jpg

Photo taking with other costumed people.
IMG_3342.jpg

Doing chin-ups on the Metro.
IMG_3347.jpg

Had a cute "cat" as an admirer.
IMG_3350-Copy.jpg

On Monday night, I suited up again to give out candy to the trick-or-treaters.

Posing with my pumpkin.
IMG_6449.jpg

Giving out candy to the kids. I managed to scare a bunch of people and made 2 little girls cry when I posed motionless as a statue, and then lunged at them when they got near. I felt really bad afterwards, so I gave them extra candy. Luckily, their parents thought it was funny, and told their kids "Well, it's Halloween. What did you expect?". haha
IMG_6466.jpg

Some impressed parents trying to see what the suit is made of.
IMG_6460.jpg

Even Master Chief enjoys a lollipop every now and then.
IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

Finally, one more (taken with flash on) to better see detail. Small note: you can see some extra detail I added: I painted in the circles on the knee caps and boots so they stand out better.
IMG_6472.jpg

Well, hope you enjoyed the photos! I may not have won 3 costume contests like Thorn (or even 1 for that matter), but I still had a pretty good time this Halloween. At least I knew I had the best costume wherever I went! :cool

Thanks for stopping by!

lovin the pumkin but im extreamly jelouse of your armor it looks damn good i wish i had the time to build armor but you know school and its time consuming limitations

Hey Spitfire22V,

This is a great thread. Your suit came out awesome and your build is an inspiration for those of us just starting. Thanks for posting and i'll be using allot of what I've learned from your thread to aide me in my build.

Quick question, where did you order your clips for the straps on your armor?

Again thanks

Looks totally awesome buddy. I like the pumpkin too by the way.:)

lovin the pumkin but im extreamly jelouse of your armor it looks damn good i wish i had the time to build armor but you know school and its time consuming limitations

Dude, totally jealous of the suit. :D

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, it's greatly appreciated! When I started this project almost a year ago, I never imagined I'd end up wit ha suit that would be making people jealous. :)

Hey Spitfire22V,

This is a great thread. Your suit came out awesome and your build is an inspiration for those of us just starting. Thanks for posting and i'll be using allot of what I've learned from your thread to aide me in my build.

Quick question, where did you order your clips for the straps on your armor?

Again thanks

Thanks, glad you liked it and found it as a source of inspiration! I got the straps and buckles from Strapworks.com. Hope this helps!

Well, last night I went to the nearest Gamestop that was having a midnight release of Halo: Anniversary. I wasn't able to wear my suit since I was unable to get anyone to come with me, and I need help getting into and out of the suit, as well as the car. ;)

There was quite a bit of people there, but turns out that a lot of them were there for other game releases, like Assassins Creed: Revelations, etc. Oh well, not what I hoped, but it was still good fun.

IMG_6178.jpg

well all i have to say is with a years worth of work and effort put into that build of yours jealousy should be the first thing that can be expected when someone looks at that suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back