Starting Spartan Mk. V project

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ what he said. What I did was a couple layers of resin on the outside, then for all except the torso and thighs a rondo/mudded the inside, then went over it with a layer if fiberglass MAT and resin. Made it pretty dang solid!! The helmet is gona be the same thing. Figure the rondo will make it sturdy and I can just fiberglass over it and re-inforce the areas that are succeptable to cracking. If you're still thinking about airsoft I would probably do multiple resin coats on both the inside and outside of your pep. Just my idea. XD. When you gonna start?

Thanks man!! Took me a couple tried to get some of the pieces right. Might have to redo the boot covers cause they BARELY fit over my running shoes after the fiberglassing. Oh well. I could bust those out in half a day if they don't work :D. I get 3 days off this week so hope to make some serious progress when I'm home!!!!

Nice pepping and Über job on the scale! ;)
Everything looks good on ya!
Yes! Keep posting your progress.... Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up on the glassing. And ive already started the peping, ive finished the helmet and im about to start working on the rest of the rest of the suit. I figure that ill pep the rest of the armor, resin, glas, and then move on to the helmet. Im getting ready to start putting photos up and starting my own thread so be on the look out

k heres a little update on my last couple days. i didnt have as much time to work as i would have liked to cause my parents had company in town and i had to go bet a host :angry . Anyways heres a few pics. it was basically a weekend of sanding, mudding, and preparing to paint some pieces. All of my pieces except for the hand plates, boots, and helmet are mudded and primed now.
Thighs primed ready for paint
2010-08-13132444.jpg

Masked
2010-08-13152815.jpg

Painted
2010-08-13153525.jpg
Still need to do a little bit of touch up sanding before its finished like that rough spot you can see in that pic. What I also did was instead of raising all of the panel panes on the thighs, i engraved a couple with my dremmel.
I also pepped my rundown helmet again. Banged the thing out in a few hours one morning.
2010-08-12135912.jpg

I re-enforced the inside base with kabob sticks and a LITTLE bit of hot glue to keep it from warping and twisting like my last rundown helmet.
2010-08-12141714.jpg

This morning i pepped the handplates. Using the LD Mk VI by Robogenesis. The blue line is where im going to cut them after i rondo the inside and make them solid. figured the pattern looks like the Mk V handplate if you tweak it a little bit and wear it backwards
2010-08-13163402.jpg

Well thats all the pics i got. don't want to over do it with pics, but the pieces i mentioned are in the same condition as that thigh now. I will try to get more pics next week when i put in another day on this suit. Hope to get them all painted, clear coated, and start working on lights, padding, and strapping soon :cool

Nice paint job on the thighs, your suits really coming along great! Lol, that seems like a lot of extra work to make the mk v handplates but good luck with them, whatever works and looks great I suppose.

Ifr you're not gona raise the panels I would suggest engraving the panel lines. I forgot to take a pic of where I did that but it gives it a 3d look if you do it right. I will post a pic in a few days when I get home, hopefully along with some additional pics :D

Hey Sean thanks for the heads up about the glass and resin being a good choice for airsoft. And if your ever in the neighboorhood we should hook up and play a few rounds of airsoft

sorry it's been a while since I was on last. I think it would be totally sick to have a massive airsoft battle goin down, your peeps vs. my peeps, or whatever. We should totally duke it out halo style, make a few suits for our friends, and just make a weekend of it. would be totally sick! I'd have to get my stuff dusted off, but sounds great to me!

Hey all. Here's a little update. All pieces are painted except the boot covers.. today I finished sanding and painting my rundown helmet.
2010-08-26164932.jpg

Here's test fitting the visor
2010-08-26171546.jpg

How's it lookin? Any tricks to getting that visor in? Also does anybody put like a screen or something behind the vents in the jaw?

im jealous of how smooth you front end looks.... do you think i should go back and bondo it?
then again, orange is a very unforgiving color....

haha yeah it took me lots of bondo and sanding to get it like that. the fiberglass and resin layer shrunk and warped it a little in the front so i had to fix it. i just noticed the rough spot on the forehead so looks like a little more sanding and another layer of paint. gona clean it up and clear coat it today and start wiring the LED's in this afternoon before i head out to work. Gonna start wiring the lights in on the back piece today too. I bought a 12"x12" piece of 1/8" plexiglass and i frosted it so im gona put those in the light ports too. hope to get some good pics of my suit up today!

Thanks!! Well I'm outside doing some masking, figured i would give a couple more pics.
Here's my back piece sanded before painting
2010-08-25141420.jpg

Painted
2010-08-27105933.jpg

Chest
2010-08-27142028.jpg

Stomach/back. The botom is cut out because I'm going to attach the pieces to an ammo belt and there will be pouches there
2010-08-27141934.jpg

Back. I made custom pieces to make an enclosure instead of a flat back piece. I'm going to put a led in there and also an electroluminescent light strip on it. Stay tuned...
2010-08-27141945.jpg

Finished handplates minus the velcro
2010-08-27110005.jpg

And finally, the rough draft of the helmet and visor. It got a little messy with the glue around the edges, but I'm going to fix it up with black silicone to give it a nice sealed look
2010-08-27154001.jpg

More to come next week. Time to get ready to ship off to work :(

jeez dude! that looks amazing! but it also makes me feel bad cuz i know i can't get mine to that quality.... :(
Keep up the good work!

I'd just like to thrown in my n00bish 2 cents. It's looking good and the colors are great. I like how you're thinking outside the basic model to make it better, and it's all nice and smooth, plus the size looks great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!! Ok one more set of pis. Had a little extra time before heading out and had my girlfriend take a few pics. Tell me what ya think
Front
2010-08-27190422.jpg

Side
2010-08-27190430.jpg

Back
2010-08-27190436.jpg

The chief on his way to work
2010-08-27193209.jpg

More next week!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back