Starx - Mark 3 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
All honesty, i havent really talked about paint with the other Starx Members yet. Personally, i found a post somewhere on the TMP forum about auto paint that was used. Personally, i would prefer to go with a darker burgundy red and the brushed metal gold look. I would probably be going to my friends car shop near my parents house to mess around with some paint schemes, and then of course, get some votes in on what everyone thinks looks the best. But as always, i plan on achieving as close to the movie armor as possible. (My favorite reference for the iron man armor is the maquette of the mark 3. I think thats the color best suited for the suit.)

Buxzzix - for the hands i will be using the pep files that i have from the starx files. These files already have a hole in the center of the palm to accomodate for the light, as well as sepparated finger parts that will allow movement for the fingers. I plan on using some sort of plastic (latex?? havent messed around with it too much yet) for my actual hand, and then gluing the other pieces onto the glove. That way, it achieves the "layered" look. Not to mention foam padding that will then be painted as well with acrylics (so the paint doesnt crack) on the palm of the hand around the light in the center. Hope that explains it better. There is a picture of the arm and hand on page one (first pic) of this thread.

I think I got lucky with the paints I used on mine, I found a great Metallic Gold and a wicked Pearlescent Red. They are car paints. As the gold is a metallic you have to make sure you put thin layers otherwise it runs easily. It also appears to fizz when it hit the surface as the metallic bits settle.

But they're a Halfords make so you'll only be able to get them in the UK

IronManSprayPaints.jpg

Click the link below to see the paint on my helmet.

Iron Man Helmet

The red looks darker in real life.

I know this is off topic,

but the official trailer for iron man 2 will be realeased in the holidays

progress looking brilliant by the way

SupermanExtreme1 said:
As for the paint.

I own the Iron Man Sideshow Bust.

So I'd probably just take it to the bodyshop once I arrived at that stage and have them match up the colors. I could easily get the color code to

pass on to the Team or whoever else was curious about the color code if the professional route was the one a person were to take.

I think some pics show the suit a little more burgundy than it actually is

now you a true iron man fan if only i had a few spare hundred to spend

so then why havent you casted up the helm use for personal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my sig's turned off so I didn't notice hahha :pSo any updates on your armor(s)?? I'm curious as to how your progress is coming along!! Cheers!

-Loki

does anyone have a good source for servos or electronic gear to animate parts of the suit? I have been google searching and forum searching for days trying to find parts to start tinkering with....

I was looking for some really small / thin servos or stepper motors and some very small linear actuators... This info would be useful to Starx and Superman as well I'm sure...

Thanks I found a bunch. All of them look box-y or bulky. Pretty cheap tho. We'll see how they work.

I'm also paying around with some small motors I yanked out of a cd burner drive I had laying around.

SupermanExtreme1 said:
That'd be cool. Sorta like how people made suits from the Muckle Master Chief Statue.

I really doubt the Bust's helmet would fit an adult head though. I'm Pretty sure Stan Winstons Studios and Sideshow Collectables knew what they

were doing when they released the bust.

I also dont want to have paint flaking off from the molding process.

Plus where's the fun in all that? :)

i always thought the bust was a 1 -1 bust of the real ironman but yeah got a very true point take out all the pain and headaches

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. As you know by watching my video, i had to rescale some pieces in order to help with the overall look of the armor. I am now where i was before i scrapped the pieces and am continuing to finish before the end of december. I still dont have my camera fixed, so i will have to ask everyone to accept my appologies. However, i will have some great things up and running by the end of december.

Hey all. Okay, so i found a way that i like that would work really well for the stomach mobility issue. Let me know what you guys think on this. Basically from what i gather it would be an undersuit that would have the stomach, and the boxer section (the parts by the waist and inner and outer thigh) as foam i believe. The arm joints, and knees would be the articulation that superman mentioned in the other page, but the stomach itself would be done in this manner. I believe that would make it very movable, and if i overlap the foam, it would give the suit exactly what im looking for in movability, and still make it look great. What do you guys think?

15gs96b.jpg

I used a similar technique on my build but also covered the foam with a red vinyl to get rid of the 'foam' look. I was quite happy with the results it's definitely a good way to go.

The only thing to watch out for is breathability, I used the same technique on the neck guard but it wound up being way too warm to wear.

thanx for the input. I'd like to think I can put up with a fair amount of heat, an hopefully a fan in the helmet could combat the heat of the meck if I went this course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back