Steveo's first EVER hand's on project, and its the HD Mark VI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
take your measurements, convert them to mm and replace them with the standard ones.

For example many of the parts are defaultly set to be at MC's size (expecialy all the MC armor) so take the size in MM and his height. divide the height of the armor by the height of MC and you have a number that you can then apply to your height. multiply you height by the number you got from dividing the height of armor by MC's height and you have the new number.

EX:

MC = 6'5" (not really just an example)
Helmet size = 300mm (not really. Take scale height from piece in pepakura)

300/95 (where 95 = height of MC in inches)

3.15789 = ratio of the scale item ( use this times your height to get the new scale)

3.15789 * 93 (where 93 = 6'3" my height)

new scale height = 293.68MM

If your having alot of problems scaling and don't want to do a ton of peping only to find out its to big ot to small, I suggest building the LD part first once you have the size right, then use that scale on the HD part, you only have to do one side either left or right for each part, I did this for the first couple parts when I was building my Hayabusa suit, I couldn't get the scaling issues figured out and I got tired of building HD parts over and over, also here is a link at the end of my post to a measuring scale converter it will save you alot of time when figuring out ahead of time if the part will fit with the measurements you have figured out, I used this to see if the height and width were right, it converts Inches to MM's save alot of time no math involved
Good luck

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

MC = 6'5" (not really just an example)

Wouldn't your method only work properly if you know the exact height of Master Chief? Seems like you can't just go off of a guess of his height to get a scaling factor.

Steveo, the "add a few inches for padding" advice tends to be more for the helmet or chest, where the scaling is a bit more variable than other pieces. And for the helmet, you're definitely not going to want it so tight on your face that you can't breath!

For most of the armor pieces, such as the arm and leg pieces, scaling is very straight forward. Simply measure your body part for the corresponding armor, convert to mm (I just use Google: type "# in to mm"), and input into Pepakura. These pieces tend to be easy to scale since they have an easily identifiable major axis (hint: it's the longest one).

I'd bet you measured correctly in the first place, and then added a few more inches for padding, but you'll find that since us normal men are not like Master Chief, we don't fill out the pieces correctly and there ends up being plenty of room for padding anyway (case in point: the forearms!).

If it helps, I'm pretty much the same size as you, and my shoulders came out to have a height of 320mm, and I actually thought that was a tiny bit too big. I'd go with 310mm or even 300mm. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice everybody!
@Vilignt Sniper: I'm going to find out Master Chief's actually size, and try out some mathmatics. Thanks!
@Hyperballistik: I will DEFINTATELY go with the LD files first just to make sure. Appreciate it!
@Spitfire: I guess I didn't really notice that I didn't need to add an extra few inches to each of the body parts. Im gonna try it again. I am gonna compare the numbers for YOUR shoulders and MC's shoulders and see what I get. Thanks!

Well this ended up being a little more difficult then I thought it was going to be. Here's some pictures. Is it too large?
SAM_0841.jpg

SAM_0848.jpg

SAM_0850.jpg

Well this ended up being a little more difficult then I thought it was going to be. Here's some pictures. Is it too large?
SAM_0850.jpg

It looks a little too big. If you look at wrist, you should be able to bend it. I don't think you can bend it. You may want to reduce it by another 10%.

I disagree with going LD. If you are not in a rush to complete an armor, I suggest you go HD all the way. If you are going to spend time and money on this hobby and if you plan to keep your armor for a long time, why do things halfway.
I mixed my kid's costumes last year. Some HD and some LD. 80% through the project I felt like kicking myself. The LD parts just did not fit in.

Here is a wip that I am keeing an eye on.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33204-CyberBen-Spartan-019-Mark-VI-wip

Here is inspiration.
http://http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25298-LongShot-X-s-Mark-VI-HD-MJOLNIR-Armor-WIP/page90

@CoolC: I have followed longshot-'s wip page for a while now, I like longshots video of him at a star trek con. I thought that was awesome. but that first one! Holy crap is that good. I bookmarked his wip page. As for the LD stuff, I was just saying that I was tired of working on HD stuff to find out it was too large. So I think it's a good idea to go with LD stuff JUST until I find the right size. I plan on doing my entire suit on HD. I've done 3 helmets and a shoulder and a hand plate. 75% of my stuff ended up being to big. Since I'm having EXTREME issues with scaling, :( I'm just going to do LD first and then HD once I have the right size acquired.

@CoolC: I have followed longshot-'s wip page for a while now, I like longshots video of him at a star trek con. I thought that was awesome. but that first one! Holy crap is that good. I bookmarked his wip page. As for the LD stuff, I was just saying that I was tired of working on HD stuff to find out it was too large. So I think it's a good idea to go with LD stuff JUST until I find the right size. I plan on doing my entire suit on HD. I've done 3 helmets and a shoulder and a hand plate. 75% of my stuff ended up being to big. Since I'm having EXTREME issues with scaling, :( I'm just going to do LD first and then HD once I have the right size acquired.

That may be a good way of doing it, but I question how will that resolve the sizing issue. Not all HD and LD models have the same size. They may infact look very different.

When I worked on my kids' armors, I take the measurement and resize the models. Next, instead of pepping the entire model, I focus on the areas once built will give me a sense of the size. If it is too big, I stop pepping, resize and reprint.

Open Pep Designer and note which area will give you the sense of the size. For example, for helmet, build the crown first. If it covers your head, you should be fine. If there are too much on the front and back, more than likely it is too big. I've done that for 4 sets of armor, and I only had to rebuild several pieces.

where did you get the file? I can't find the pepakura files anywhere on this site can i have directions to where i could find them, preferably to the odst helmets and gear.

can you help me find the pepakura files to the gear and helmet for odst members. i cant' find them anywhere on this site

I don't think you search hard enough. There is also such as thing called google. Type "Pepakura ODST". In 405th, search for "Hugh Holder".

Please don't double-post on a thread that doesn't belong to you. You should use the sticky for pepakura in the noob forum. And please DO NOT start a thread to ask a question!

Not much for updates. But I do have a question. I'm working on my forearm part. For the opening am I supposed to fit through pretty snug or am I supposed to force my hand through a little? I am pretty far PAST my elbow, almost 3 inches now, and I still can't push my hand through the opening. I tried doing the HD one earlier, idk if its because I only have had 3.5 hours of sleep since yesterday am, but right now I don't have the patience for the HD. I tried the LD and man I flew through it. It was my first LD model. Althought I like the HD I think I like the LD better. Thanks!

Don't be afraid to enlarge the opening so you can fit your hand through. You can do it while it's still in Pep to verify the size on yourself. But if you're confident it's scaled correctly, I'd wait to enlarge the hole until after you're hardened it.

Not sure what this means:
I am pretty far PAST my elbow, almost 3 inches now,

But I assume you're attempting to put on the forearm piece the correct way and that we're talking about the same opening! lol

the hole for your hand should be smaller than your fist. this is so that with the gloves and padding the part does not slide down off your arm. if i can recomend cutting the part in half. atatching some elastic band to both sides of the front and rear of the bracer. this will allow you to stretch it to fit your arm in, while still keeping it in one piece while you are walking.

@Spitfire22v: So sorry. Lol. I meant the opening was too small for my hand to go through and the opposite end of the opening extends past my elbow several inches, but I'm going to bring it back down to 12" and then I will just have to make the opening bigger when I do the hardening. Anything bigger then 12 or 12.5 looks too large.

or you can follow the tut one post up. XD

With all due respect, in my experience, if the forearm is properly padded and strapped to other armor pieces, then it's unnecessary to go through what I consider to be a tedious process involving cutting the piece in half. Just my opinion. :cool

however if you have a huge unsightly hole in the front it looks bad. i prefere to have all my parts look and feel seamless while still allowing me to remove them without cutting off my wrists.

Again, in my experience, having a hole large enough to fit my hand did not look as bad as one might think, especially while wearing the gloves + handguards. My forearm pieces are easy to put on and remove, allow plenty of wrist movement, and the hole for the hand to fit through is not much bigger than it would have to be to fit my wrist only. I have plenty of photos to show this, but of course we may just have differing opinions. :)

true. i also prefere the fact that instead of possible ripping the foam by trying to shove my hand through it, it holds better if it is tightly compacted via elastic. thats just what i found to work the best in past attempts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back