Substiutes To Fiberglassing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S15Costuming

I finished pepping my Halo 2 ODST Armor and I want to fiberglass...

...expect there is ONE HUGE PROBLEM!!!

IT'S FORCAST TO RAIN ALL THE DAYS BEFORE HALLOWEEN! D:

Everyone that knows how to fiberglass knows that it's harder to cure fiberglass if it rains...

what is a cheap way to make the armor harder?

I need those answers ASAP, so I can finish my armor before thursday!

thanks for reading *gives you a cookie* :)

Well I would suggest smooth on's liquid plastic since that stuff cures at any temp roughly.

But it's $80 for a gallon of it.

Duct tape?

SoullessSin said:
Well I would suggest smooth on's liquid plastic since that stuff cures at any temp roughly.

But it's $80 for a gallon of it.

Duct tape?

yeah, about the duct tape, do i do it on the inside, outside, or both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I can see duct tape as a last resort.

But if you want it sturdy enough to last maybe a few days,

I'd say reinforce with some cardboard and then add duct tape

to both sides. But the final looks won't be all pretty tho :\

SoullessSin said:
Well I can see duct tape as a last resort.

But if you want it sturdy enough to last maybe a few days,

I'd say reinforce with some cardboard and then add duct tape

to both sides. But the final looks won't be all pretty tho :\

i'm going to try the HGM (Hot Glue Method)...i think, becuz i wantz mai armuor 2 las!(noob to english translation:

because I want my armor to last) XD

Then if you want to do the hot glue method, try talking to Pooper.

He has done the hot glue method and made it last like no other.

Though to give you a rough estimate, he used resin on the outside/inside to

give it a sturdy base the put hot glue on the inside. The armor will be

flexible yet sturdy. So drop him a pm :D

The Hot Glue Method is a good idea. Try not to do anything crazy though. The hot clue WILL tear apart if you don't watch what you are doing.

Good luck on your costume bro.

-Pony

hey just throwing this out there, im trying to get my halo 3 marine armor hardened by Halloween with out resin and fiberglass, cause its all snowy and junk up here in British Columbia and i live in a basement suite and i don't wanna annoy the upstairs tenants with the smell of resin. so iv came up with 2 theories, to use a lamination method by gluing multiple layers of card stock on the inside, finishing it off with duct tape and using a latex/enamel based spray paint on the outside or i was thinking paper macheing the inside and capping it with duct tape and give it a couple layers of that latex spray paint. wut do ya think?

You won't be able to use Bondo effectively if you use the hot glue method, so any additional detailing will be difficult.

Duct tape and cardboard won't work as a strengthener. The purpose of fiberglass is to turn it rock solid, and duct tape + cardboard won't come anywhere near that. You can try Smoothcast on the inside for support, or Aqua Resin, but any way you put it you'll want some sort of sturdy support if you want to bondo the helmet.

Go and find the Sticky for the hot glue method.

And next time be sure to start early enough so you aren't caught and screwed at the last minute.

Trust me, it happened to a friend of mine. He was pissed.

And I know I'm a noob. Just putting it out there before you say anything.

Good Luck.

didnt pooper use modge podge to?

but yeah try the hot glue method. it wont be as hard as fiberglass and resin. but itll give you some lasting. good luck.

xXSTICKXx said:
didnt pooper use modge podge to?

but yeah try the hot glue method. it wont be as hard as fiberglass and resin. but itll give you some lasting. good luck.

I used Mod Podge on the helm in my sig. I wouldn't suggest making something that can get crushed (cod, thighs, chest) when you're sitting, though. It's flexible yet sturdy, but if you bend something a little too far, you're screwed.

Edit: wtf, this is a necro. wtf, Stick!? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back