Tabs Overlapped, Help Appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
note: No need for this to be open, got the help i needed.

Ok so today I was going to print out a chest plate and came across this problem. Any help on how to fix it would be amazing.

update: I'm still having problems, "join/disjoin" isn't working right. its just chopping off pieces instead of fixing the problem.

Gallard said:
In pep designer you can just right click and pick join/disjoin edge and cut it until its to your liking.

ok, thanks a lot.

edit: nvm, i still have the same problem, all thats doing is chopping off pieces but that part is still there under it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem with my last pep. Something with that small detail probably doesn't really matter. Just cut it simmilar to the opposite side, you just won't have that miniscule groove. Pep is just a base, bondo is where the detail counts.

edit: just remember what is tab and what isn't

it looks to me like if you disconnect #444 and pull the piece away it would fix your problem.

hope it helps.

EDIT:

i'm not saying the tab i'm saying disconnect the two pieces right under where 444 is.

In Pep designer 3, which I have, there is an option to move the pieces around. I dunno if you have the same dealio, but if you do, you can re-arrange the pieces to fit a little bit better. Just click on it and drag it to where you want it. Takes some practice, but works for me. Hope this helps!

Stuff like that is the result of a bad/complicated unfold. No offense to whoever unfolded it, but I have come across quite a few pieces like that myself and it can cause the build to be slightly off. When I do my unfolds, I zoom in A LOT to avoid stuff like that. Even if you can't really tell by looking at the original size, it can still cause the build to be off.

If you want, you can tell me what model that is for and I can unfold it differently if you would like. :pJust make sure to let me know. :p

Also, the join/disjoin feature is supposed to cut pieces. By looking at your image, what you want to do is is disjoin the piece at the 444 connection. By the looks of that piece, you will end up with a thin strip after disjoining. Then use the join feature to see what other piece that small strip connects to and do it so that you don't end up with an overlapping tab again. OR you can just keep it as a thin strip, but it might be a pain in the butt to pep that piece considering it will be a thin piece. You will just have to move the pieces around to rearrange everything.

Don't disconnect 444, but connect 445, 443 and 441 together. It will break the small strip into pieces and attach them to the larger pieces. The really small tabs in between the thin pieces will overlap slightly, but that won't be a problem. Just click on the edge of 445 and join the two sides together, and you'll see what I mean.

Yay, no more overlapping pieces. :3

Okay, so after looking at your iamges again, I noticed that it is the War Machine chest by JUICE. It says it at the top! XD So, I went ahead, tracked down the file, downloaded it myself and took a look at it.

There are quite a few overlapping pieces. At regular size, you can't tell, but once you zoom in, you see that it overlaps and even though it seems like such a small overlap, over time it can cause the build to be off. I have learned that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for error when pepping as it can lead to warpage in the final pep build.

Also, those pieces that you have outline in red have another error.......want to see what I mean? Disconnect at 444, rearrange the pieces that you can clearly see the new seperated pieces. If you look closely, you will notice that on either end of the little thin piece that there are no numbers OR tabs. If you look at the bigger piece that you disconnected it from, you will also notice two "empty" places and there are no numbers. That is a result of an open edge in the model itself.

In pepakura, if you look at the model on the left, look at the red lines. These lines indicate an open edge. Most of these red lines are correct, but if you look at the red lines under the area where the arc reactor is, those shouldn't be there and it means that they do not connect to anything.

I can edit the file to make it so that there is a tab and number them so that you know where to connect it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back