That wow factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Today I went to the new flea market in town. I looked about at some old items but nothign caought my eye. I was about to make my way to the front of the store when I saw somthing out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look , and my eyes fell upon a original xbox game. My eyes explored the box . It displayed that classic halo cover art, master cheif with his MA5B assault rifle pointed twords the player. I bought this wonderfull find and took it home. I opened the case, which was like it had just been opened. I looked at the game manual and behind it was a pamflet that read ' microsoft games' . I looked through it and to my suprise there were only 12 games listed. It struck me that this game was just another casual shooter when it was released. I poped the disc into my 360 . The menu came up, the 3 options- campeign, multiplayer , and options . I chose the first mission. I emerged from a drop pod into a vast , living world. I felt as if I was just a small being in this gigantic place I found myself in. I played through that mission as aw struck as I was when I first played halo. I immediatly felt that sence of amazement and vastness that I first felt playing halo CE . I think everyone of us should re-live that moment when we first played Halo CE. Please share your stories of the first time you played this wonderfull game.

Jacob

hahaha! That is a good story Jbett! my first time playin halo one was really bad for me... I was 5 and chose to do the level "Keyes" you can guess what happened after that... I peed my pants and didnt play for about a year. then me and a couple friends saw RvB so we went back and played some more!! but we acted like it was an episode instead of actually playing... we were weird.

That is my story... kinda sucks...

hahaha! That is a good story Jbett! my first time playin halo one was really bad for me... I was 5 and chose to do the level "Keyes" you can guess what happened after that... I peed my pants and didnt play for about a year. then me and a couple friends saw RvB so we went back and played some more!! but we acted like it was an episode instead of actually playing... we were weird.

That is my story... kinda sucks...

I guess that would traumatize a year old.

Actually, Halo 2 was the first game I played. I knew the story of Halo CE and had seen screens and vids of it, but never actually played it. I thought Halo 2 was a pretty good game. A few months later I got Halo CE. First custcene, I thought, wow, this is where it all begins. Then the lifepod landed and I jumped out and saw the ring from the ground. I thought that was the greatest thing ever. Of course, when I got to that first Flood level, I was absolutely terrified. I replayed Halo 2 a few times, and then played through CE again about a year later. That Flood level was still just as terrifying.

Off-topic: Sounds like you have one of the launch editions of the game. Aren't those really valuable now?

I was playing halo 2 with friends the first time... multi... got totally pwned! my best memory (or worst) was boarding a scorpian, right as my friend (on my side) fired a rocket into it. Teh tank lived, I died. :p The first time I played CE I tried the silent Cartographer... I sucked Sooooooo hard with the warthog, I could't get the controls right! I was demoted to turret.

I was playing halo 2 with friends the first time... multi... got totally pwned! my best memory (or worst) was boarding a scorpian, right as my friend (on my side) fired a rocket into it. Teh tank lived, I died. :p The first time I played CE I tried the silent Cartographer... I sucked Sooooooo hard with the warthog, I could't get the controls right! I was demoted to turret.
You think your tank story sucks?!?! My team had a tank named Sheila and no one knew how to drive it except this stupid guy but he killed me with it... wait... wrong story... oh yeah! Me and my bro are running around fighting my older brother, he is in the tank. I rocket the tank, it blows up, the gun flies off of in and crushes my little bro's elite body, getting me a betrayal... it was funny!!!

Off-topic: Sounds like you have one of the launch editions of the game. Aren't those really valuable now?

I would like too say soo, but Im not sure. I'll have to look it up!

You think your tank story sucks?!?! My team had a tank named Sheila and no one knew how to drive it except this stupid guy but he killed me with it... wait... wrong story... oh yeah! Me and my bro are running around fighting my older brother, he is in the tank. I rocket the tank, it blows up, the gun flies off of in and crushes my little bro's elite body, getting me a betrayal... it was funny!!!

LOL That SOOO sucks man, yet its funny at the same time!

ha, i first played halo 1 thinking it was cool. well it is cool, i was 11 i think, i fell in love with halo after the first mission: pillar of autumn. i got so scared seeing the flood and what it does :p .

I am one of those unfortunate souls who still to this day does not have a single game console. I am resigned to the PC version which I got used from Gamestop for only $10, installed it on my desktop, and got to the landing on Installation 04...after which, I let it sit for over a year, waiting to get a computer that would actually run the damn thing without lagging! (I know what the box says the recommended sysreqs are, and let me tell you, they are more wishful thinking than Vista's were!) I finally got a used Dell laptop with a Core2Duo and a reasonably new Nvidia graphics chip, hopefully that should do the trick.

... It struck me that this game was just another casual shooter when it was released. ...

Not so. At the time I was very active in on-line PC gaming, I even ran a Team Fortress server. Halo was being trumpetted as THE NEXT BIG THING. The community was eagerly awaiting the next tidbit of information so we could determine if we would need to upgrade our PC. Would it run on Linux? Those of us running game servers needed to know.

Suddenly it all went away. Microsoft had bought the developer and was going to use the excitement of the games release to make us all buy its' new console. Halo would be released as the killer ap for M$'s new gaming device, something called an X-box. There would be a delay while the game was ported to the new system. Oh yeah, and we wouldn't need to buy a new PC, but this console thing.

I didn't. I waited for the PC release, which, by the time it came out, really was just another shooter. But Halo and the X-box survived without me :)

Another story: The first time I played halo 3 live (I don't own a 360) with my friend was on avalanche, where I dominated, 3 games later, I believe it was the bomb varient, I quadruple betrayed my team. 2 blues were running to snag our bomb from the base, there were 3 teammates and my friend inside. I had just run out of BR ammo and I just had a few mag clips left, but alas! I had sticky grenades! So brilliant me decided to chuck one... even thought there were 3 allies down there. 1 blue died to the defender's BR fire, my sticky cleared out the last blue... and everybody else inside. I got myself and my friend (I was a guest) booted sooooooooo fast. There were sdtill explosions when I got axed. I wonder what my fail is the first time I play reach! I should have submitted that clip to Anoj's fails though.

Not so. At the time I was very active in on-line PC gaming, I even ran a Team Fortress server. Halo was being trumpetted as THE NEXT BIG THING. The community was eagerly awaiting the next tidbit of information so we could determine if we would need to upgrade our PC. Would it run on Linux? Those of us running game servers needed to know.

Suddenly it all went away. Microsoft had bought the developer and was going to use the excitement of the games release to make us all buy its' new console. Halo would be released as the killer ap for M$'s new gaming device, something called an X-box. There would be a delay while the game was ported to the new system. Oh yeah, and we wouldn't need to buy a new PC, but this console thing.

I didn't. I waited for the PC release, which, by the time it came out, really was just another shooter. But Halo and the X-box survived without me :)

I didnt word that right. I ment it struck me that at the time of release, people were hyped, but it was just another game for the xbox. you know that section of 360 games in gamestop that you have never herd of before ? I felt that it was like that. People had herd of halo , They just didnt know that it was THE GREATEST THING KNOWN TO MAN!

Another story: The first time I played halo 3 live (I don't own a 360) with my friend was on avalanche, where I dominated, 3 games later, I believe it was the bomb varient, I quadruple betrayed my team. 2 blues were running to snag our bomb from the base, there were 3 teammates and my friend inside. I had just run out of BR ammo and I just had a few mag clips left, but alas! I had sticky grenades! So brilliant me decided to chuck one... even thought there were 3 allies down there. 1 blue died to the defender's BR fire, my sticky cleared out the last blue... and everybody else inside. I got myself and my friend (I was a guest) booted sooooooooo fast. There were sdtill explosions when I got axed. I wonder what my fail is the first time I play reach! I should have submitted that clip to Anoj's fails though.

You should have submitted ! It would be cool to see a 405th member on the top ten series!

Halo CE best gaming experience I have ever had. When we first got the game. When I (We) first played the game it was just after Christmas and it was Me and my brother and my friend (16, 15, 13) all took turns playing first in single player mode (To be honest couldn't tell who was playing and who wasn't because we were all so engrossed). After that we played duals on Legendary over many different sleep overs.

The best best best memory I ever had with Halo CE though was My friend had just finished Basic Training and I was in between work\classes that were kicking my butt. We were meeting at his place to have a quick chat around 5ish for like 15-20 minutes then we both had stuff to do. Decided to start Halo and just play one level on legendary. 7 hours later we had beaten it. That was the best decompression I think I'd ever had. Bout 3 days later he got news that he was going to be deployed and I was back to major S-storms. But man, that still stands out as one of the best nights ever and walking out into the street at 2am when everything was dead quiet and just feeling great.

Halo CE, still awesome

Halo CE best gaming experience I have ever had. When we first got the game. When I (We) first played the game it was just after Christmas and it was Me and my brother and my friend (16, 15, 13) all took turns playing first in single player mode (To be honest couldn't tell who was playing and who wasn't because we were all so engrossed). After that we played duals on Legendary over many different sleep overs.

The best best best memory I ever had with Halo CE though was My friend had just finished Basic Training and I was in between work\classes that were kicking my butt. We were meeting at his place to have a quick chat around 5ish for like 15-20 minutes then we both had stuff to do. Decided to start Halo and just play one level on legendary. 7 hours later we had beaten it. That was the best decompression I think I'd ever had. Bout 3 days later he got news that he was going to be deployed and I was back to major S-storms. But man, that still stands out as one of the best nights ever and walking out into the street at 2am when everything was dead quiet and just feeling great.

Halo CE, still awesome

This is the kind of stuff I love to hear! Keep up the stories people!

i have to say that hitting the dirt at the beggining of halo ce was my most memorable moment of my 'halo career'... i miss blowing up banshees with the halo 1 pistol.

i have to say that hitting the dirt at the beggining of halo ce was my most memorable moment of my 'halo career'... i miss blowing up banshees with the halo 1 pistol.

That pistol was awesomely overpowered. Towards the end of the game I remember coming up on a Hunter pair inside a tight space (maybe a mess hall?) and sniping them both to death with it since my other weapon was a needler. After that I always carried one when I could :)

! (I know what the box says the recommended sysreqs are, and let me tell you, they are more wishful thinking than Vista's were!) I finally got a used Dell laptop with a Core2Duo and a reasonably new Nvidia graphics chip, hopefully that should do the trick.
WHAAATTT? :p

I got the demo for the Halo Combat Evolved for my laggy N.E.C. desktop about a year after the game came out, proabably around 2004, after a friend told me about it at work. The music that played during the settings screen was spellbinding. And I think my eyes are STILL strained after staring at the detail on the giant rotating construct before me. The cinematic for The Silent Cartogrpaher started and I was blown away by the scope of this world I had entered aloft this odd looking dropship. I stared at the weird looking marine in the seat in front of me as we hovered then landed upon a VERY busy beachead. I locked and loaded and charged, gun blazing and grenades flying, into the carnage. I thought I was one of the marine grunts until Foehammer delivered a very springy and overly responsive Warthog. When I got into the driver's seat I could see that I was not a common grunt but something altogether different. A being clad in iridescent green armor from head to toe. I didn't know at that time that I was a SPARTAN and that my heroe's quest would take me to the end of the galaxy and to the salvation of humanity.

If the above sounds overly dramatic, I can assure you that this is exactly how I felt... completely immersed and completely hooked.

I'm getting chills as I type this. O.o_Oo

BTW yer welcome

usually on the aniversery of the end of the Human-Covenant war I play all 5 games in one day. (Halo:reach, Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back