Props The Architecture of Halo - Model Series by ReClaimer8015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReClaimer8015

Well, this was a long time idea i had, doing a videogame/ movie - themed model series of various franchises i do happen to enjoy. This one in particular will be all about Halo, covering all games and related official or professional artwork from fans ( sources included of course). Or maybe i`ll get creative and do my own remixes of existing stuff. To a degree you always have to, because it is difficult to get every angle if you are dealing with old games, often low poly. Some things are maybe just skyboxes or cutscenes, so there`s no 3rd dimension and you have to make up your own ideas.

This thread will probably heavily focus on the bungie-style brutalist forerunner buildings because they`re my favorites and they`re much easier to make with the tools i am used to work with for this kind of models.
Remade iconographic elements in the Anniversary Editions are an option too (thanks to Blur and Saber Interactive). Just to inform you what i have in mind:

vyacheslav-solovov-ghu1.jpgscreenshot_20190212_231447.png

I will mix traditional methods with modern equipment, 3dprinting will be an accurance on here.
I will not just only make the models, but also do some renders/ photoshops and sketches which i may offer to you guys to play with and repost here.

You are invited to criticise if i may slip and miss the right imagery/ proportions, or you can make
proposals on what to work next. If you have done something similar feel free to post a pic or share your experience. Honestly i`m a bit jumpy and direct my energy towards another project from time to time, keep me on a straight path guys!:lol:
Come on, get along with the Ride!

Last edited:
Hahaha, there really is an awfull (or amazing) lot to choose from. Let alone other franchises (Deus Ex fan but a Halo whorshipper).
Because i have seen it recently and liked it a lot i may start with something from the upcoming Halo Infinite.
It is an iteration of the Classical Lighthouse from the first Halo. You can see it at the End of the newest trailer.
For Example a little Glimpse here:

screenshot_20190212_233430.png

It definitely carries some of the old elements mixed with Sparth's style.
Watching the 343 Social Stream i discovered variations shown in the Making Of:
screenshot_20190212_235455.png

screenshot_20190212_235537.png

Fan made ones:
ludwig-gaias-halo-ui-v2-4k (2).jpg

Credit goes to Ludwig Gaias

And don`t forget the remaster in H1 Anniversary! Probably more in Halo Legends and so on….So you see that even one specific piece can have so many different facets to it!
My take on it so far:

LIghthouse Rnder.jpg

Last edited:
I have to print this if i want to have all the details, i think about making a diorama similar to the title-pop-up-shot in the trailer.

As you can already guess, this thread will be pic-heavy....

I will cut simpler, smaller variants of this out of styrofoam or use a less detailed file on the printer. Should make other arrangements to give it this panoramic view. Could be hard to nail that perpective because i really have to fake it, the proportions don`t mix at whatever scale...
I might cut off the surrounding ring at a certain hight and just do all the parts you will see on camera.

Last edited:
Just to let you know, i am still doing work in the background, haven`t found much time to post it here lately.
Primarily on my pc, should bring those ideas into the real world sometime...
Like this piece, i kinda mentioned previously in another thread:

Index Room Delta Halo pre-render 01.jpg

Quick pre-Render just to check the proportions.
Inspired by Concept Art of Andrew Averkin who did this for Blur:
andrew-averkin-library-interior-03.jpg

andrew-averkin-library-interior-01.jpg

I plan to cast this in plaster or concrete, let`s see how that works out - Oh Boy....

Last edited:
Just to let you know, i am still doing work in the background, haven`t found much time to post it here lately.
Primarily on my pc, should bring those ideas into the real world sometime...
Like this piece, i kinda mentioned previously in another thread:

View attachment 284481

Quick pre-Render just to check the proportions.
Inspired by Concept Art of Andrew Averkin who did this for Blur:
View attachment 284482

View attachment 284483

I plan to cast this in plaster or concrete, let`s see how that works out - Oh Boy....
You should make those timelapse videos if you can. The videos you see on youtube of people making small scale model houses made out of miniature rebar and then pouring concrete. Of course only if you can, but it'd be interesting to see forerunner works.

Well, if i want to include a lot of detail.....the Scale will be roughly 1:100.
So approximately 50-60cm, meaning between 20 to 24 inches in diameter minimum....
It is a huge room after all.
This piece gonna be heavy for sure. will have to prepare and possibly use one mold 2 times. Split up the rest of the models into different parts. I did bigger models out of plaster before, hope this one turns out fine too!

I will leave out a certain amount of outer walls, gotta make photos somehow.

Due to Corona i delayed a lot of stuff at work or university, much more free time now...
So i am working more on this. Lots of tiny parts. Takes some time.

IMG_20200607_000206.jpg
IMG_20200607_000249.jpg

Placed some figurines in there to show the scale - although not really a fixed one and not that accurate...roughly 1:100
Here an Example:
Screenshot_2020-06-02 Halo 2 Anniversary All Cutscenes - Halo 2 Movie - Remastered by Blur Stu...png
The Dimensions differ from one source to another: Halo 1 to H2 Anniversary cinematics. In the End i based it most on the concept art shown a few posts before. And the detail is dumbed down obviously. I could get lost in all the beautiful patterns of forerunner architecture.....

I went with lasercut mdf for the inner platform.
The outer structure can be poured and will be without much decoration to contrast the detail of the main area with probably better lighting.
I drastically reduced scale as soon as i noticed how work-intensive, heavy and expensive my first idea was:lol:

I had an idea for a something different, made a clumsy minecraftish looking snapshot

infinite menu.jpg

Would be cool to make a functioning display stand with lights and stuff out of this!
But how to recreate all that, especially the particle effects?
Could hollow out the base and the inside of the rings, put some mini LED-stripes in there, using a CNC cut and engraved acrylic sheet maybe....

Screenshot_2020-10-10 Halo Infinite Menu Music - YouTube.png

Hmm, perhaps a projector for the particle effects and some black mesh to catch the light behind the acrylic? It's like what they do for certain effects in Disney Parks.

I am currently in the process of modeling the basic surroundings which i will print too and work upon with other materials.
These hexagonal columns are obviously ment to hide the fact that even on the new xbox there is a limit to how big you can get with open world maps, so they divided the ring into different segments. Like in H3 ODST there will probably be transitions for loading times and stuff.

infinite tower surroundings.jpg
Screenshot map.png

My inspiration is the newly unveiled cover for the infinite artbook:love:

The-Art-of-Halo-Infinite-Exclusive-Cover-Reveal.05.jpeg

progress 1.jpg

Had done a small digital model of the surroundings i planned on printing and working on afterwards. But the slicer on my 3d printer didn`t proberly cut it, even after going all over the model again and repairing it. I decided to do a more traditional approach instead and made a base out of styrofoam between some mdf boards. I printed some hexagonal structures so that the base looks like a seperate part of the halo ring.
In Halo CE Anniversary or Halo wars 2 we already saw that very small parts of the installation can be blown out into space....

IMG_20210302_190733.jpg
IMG_20210302_190752.jpg

I already prepared to work on the landscape:

IMG_20210302_193012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back