The first? SPI armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockon13

So after I have been cleaning out my old stuff I found my old copy of Ghost of Onyx and after rereading it and watching headhunters I came to a decision, I want a set of SPI. After finding the best images I could find and I made some notes. The plan right now is to pep the helmet and then use EVA foam for the rest.
spi_notes_by_xela975-dcnudgi.jpg
The main problems I see are the fact that the shin and boot seam to be one piece, those strap attachment points on the shoulder armor and waist skirt.

So after I have been cleaning out my old stuff I found my old copy of Ghost of Onyx and after rereading it and watching headhunters I came to a decision, I want a set of SPI. After finding the best images I could find and I made some notes. The plan right now is to pep the helmet and then use EVA foam for the rest.View attachment 260251The main problems I see are the fact that the shin and boot seam to be one piece, those strap attachment points on the shoulder armor and waist skirt.
Are you using templates or hand doing it?

This is very interesting and would love to se the progress. And ontop of your problem with he shoes, It looks like it also is connected to the thighs.... better look up a tutorial one how to t-pose and glide around

Are you using templates or hand doing it?
The helmet is from the armory as for the rest I am kinda going to have to free hand it as there are no templates. So I think I will start from the head down.

This is very interesting and would love to se the progress. And ontop of your problem with he shoes, It looks like it also is connected to the thighs.... better look up a tutorial one how to t-pose and glide around
That's what my brother thought as well, what I figured is that the knee part is covering the joint

Maybe it is the same for the foot? The grey piece could be covering up a joint, or just nothing in general, but i don't know what to say about the side pieces. Maybe cut them at the heel?

So in the files listed, i could not view them, but they werent all one peice, and in the picture with every listed pep file had the whole headhunter walking around, and the legs were broken into 3 peices(thigh,shin,shoes) so looks like you'll be good :D

Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been swamped with hours these past few weeks. So quick update before I call it a night the helmet is almost finished and I'm thinking that I may make a second using the other file I found just to see which i like better.

Ok so I am finished with the helmet and am trying to convert satchmo's peps into foam and have hit a brick wall so if anyone has any advice or knows a good fourm to read pleas let me know

It's really not too difficult. I just watched a YouTube video then tackled it. Might help to know the general mechanics of foam crafting too.

I'll see if I can find the video.

Edit:
Here you go.

You can YouTube "convert pep to foam" and you might find a couple more videos. Seems like it would be hard or time consuming, but if you change the settings like the guy shows it goes pretty quick.

Last edited:
Too bad, there isn't a 3d render of the SPI armor. At least not that I know of. Not 3d files, but I mean a high-quality official render from Bungie or 343i.

I tried to use pepekura's tool to make an OBJ file and that plan kinda bit the dust along with building the armor out of foam more than likely, So I will be building the SPI out of fiberglass and card stock.

dang. Well, i was looking forward to the foam, but I'm sure you'll get it to look even better in that case!

I wonder how much more successful you'd be by following the legendary eviltedsmith on youtube's "How to make male cosplay armor" method, and measure the patters on your body, rather than looking around for the files? This method is EVA foam, yes, but if you follow Ted's advise and methods, it should work out great! Hang on a second, lemme find the video for ya...

Nope, hold on, it's around here somewhere...

HERE it is!

It's a three-part epoch, but has really helped me out a lot.

I bring this up because the SPI armor, while deceptively difficult, is actually quite simple as far as the armor plates. If I were making my own SPI, This is how I'd do it, while using the files on here from Sachmo III to help.

Also, the helmet and visor would need to be epic. You know, I've never actually seen a completed one, yet?

That's just my two-dollar's worth. (inflation, doncha know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back